Seen Any Good Movies Lately?

jamesgpobog

Squier-holic
Feb 18, 2020
SoCal
I'd imagine younger forum members -- apart for those who have discovered (and then become addicted to) Turner Classic Movies -- may wonder whats up with we older guys always waxing lyrical about some old black and white movie.

If you've been among those so wondering, may I suggest this...

View attachment 222370

Found here:

In Living Black-and-White

-don
No way in hell 'Eraserhead' in color is even close to being the same film...

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
I'm probably not the first person to mention this (?), but who (if anyone) has seen the newer "West Side Story"?

I'd read mixed reviews and thus expected at best mixed feelings. Nope. It was stunningly good.

Real. Gritty. Earthy. Human. -Hard to do with a musical. Absolutely recommend it.

-don

jamesgpobog

Squier-holic
Feb 18, 2020
SoCal
I'm probably not the first person to mention this (?), but who (if anyone) has seen the newer "West Side Story"?

I'd read mixed reviews and thus expected at best mixed feelings. Nope. It was stunningly good.

Real. Gritty. Earthy. Human. -Hard to do with a musical. Absolutely recommend it.

-don
I've never seen the first one.

jamesgpobog

Squier-holic
Feb 18, 2020
SoCal

-don
I've never seen the first one.

DougMen

Dr. Squier
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI
The INSP cable network shows a lot of old films and series, like Gunsmoke, Wagon Train, Bonanza, etc. Right now I'm watching Support Your Local Sheriff with James Garner, Joan Hackett, Walter Brennan, Harry Morgan, and Jack Elam. After that it's The Sea Chase with John Wayne, Lana Turner, and Tab Hunter, and then we have The Bravados with Gregory Peck, Joan Collins, Stephen Boyd, Albert Salmi, and Henry Silva.

islamint

Oct 5, 2022
USA
Thank you very much for the recommendations; I will watch these films. I completely agree that finding a good film is very difficult these days. I watched many films during the quarantine, and only a few of them I really liked. On one site www.999flix.com I found the film "Deep Water" is a psychological thriller. So I can say that this is one of the best films I have seen lately. And I also advise you to stock up on popcorn, because the film will keep you in suspense and you will get sick of the ending.

Hadronic Spin

Affinity Rulez!
Jan 27, 2021
Los Angeles
I watched "The American" (George Clooney) the other day and was extremely impressed. I gather it was one of those love it or hate it films but I really loved it.

Since this thread has been resurrected, I'd like to offer you a recommendation @SoundDesign based on your enjoyment of The American (which is a very good movie):

Dated, yes, but it still got a cool vibe and it's depiction of an (I'll say a Ronin) efficient hitman is handled with elegance and what I feel is accuracy. In my opinion, a true classic...YMMV.

Regards

Jason

Last edited:

jamesgpobog

Squier-holic
Feb 18, 2020
SoCal
I like films that started out as stage plays, such as Mr. Roberts, Stalag 17, and 12 Angry Men.

A few days ago I found the 1997 version of 12Angry Men. It is about a 95% exact copy of the 1957 film, just a few minor changes in dialogue.

Pretty good film.

Also, the wife just turned me on to a new Netflix series, "Wednesday". It is an updated Adams Family spinoff. Slightly Harry Potter-ish, VERY quirky and dark, with some good music. Last night she (Wednesday) was practicing cello on a rooftop, playing the Stones "Paint It Black".

Diavolo

Squier-Nut
Jan 3, 2022
USA
I like films that started out as stage plays, such as Mr. Roberts, Stalag 17, and 12 Angry Men.

A few days ago I found the 1997 version of 12Angry Men. It is about a 95% exact copy of the 1957 film, just a few minor changes in dialogue.

Pretty good film.

Also, the wife just turned me on to a new Netflix series, "Wednesday". It is an updated Adams Family spinoff. Slightly Harry Potter-ish, VERY quirky and dark, with some good music. Last night she (Wednesday) was practicing cello on a rooftop, playing the Stones "Paint It Black".
I am literally 8 minutes into the first episode now when i saw this post of yours haha!
hope it turns out to be a decent series. I loved the Addams Family when i was a kid.

Diavolo

Squier-Nut
Jan 3, 2022
USA
What did you think ?
well, considering its just on the TV in the background while i'm posting on here and looking at guitar stuff on my laptop I didn't give it my full attention.

However, production quality and cinematography seems good, i like the actors.
show seems to retain the little twists with the sense of humor, and not getting too over run and ruined with modern narrative.

You enjoying it?