Seen Any Good Movies Lately?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Marko60, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    This lockdown thing ain't gonna end soon so anyone seen any REAL good movies lately? I've got a couple, they arent new and they weren't box office smashes but if you like a real, tense, edge of the seat thriller then I can highly recommend these. First up is an American one from about ten years back, 'Blue Ruin' is a very dark, edgy revenge movie, that's been well thought out and very well made. 'Calibre' is a fairly recent British movie but it travels really well, if you watch it in the States you wont even notice that it wasnt set in Montana. Very dark and edgy once again, I highly recommend a big pot of popcorn

2. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

"Once Upon a Time ... In Hollywood" was pretty good.
    The usual over-the-top Tarantino thing. It was fun to watch Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio work together.

3. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    Yeah, two I watched recently. "Small town crime" which I thought was very good and "Town", its a Ben Affleck film and considering he is an actor I not that keen on he was really good in this cops and robbers saga.

JurnyWannaBe, mb doug and Marko60 like this.
  4. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Interesting how we can look in very different directions for film entertainment.

Jan and I are very into film. It was my college field of study (TheFilm School, NY School of Visual Arts, and the post-grad, NYU), my early working experience, and to this day a passion I share with my dear one.

Yet the very words some used to describe some current films they have enjoyed -- "dark" and "edgy" -- are the very words we have used to filter out some films we might otherwise have enjoyed, but are now choosing to avoid.

Instead, we are looking for things that we feel uplift us; that will help us bring forward in our minds and hearts a spirit of community. Of "goodness" if you will. And to help us avoid any spirit of complaint.

Oh, and humor. Lots of humor! Not the biting kind, but that which is warm and fun.

Too, we are looking for stories that take place in bright, open, sunny places. Films and programs that feature day, not night.

I say this not by any means in criticism of other's choices, just with interest in how such choices contrast from our own. And the 'why' of the choices we have been making.

Chosen of late:

Classic musicals (for example My Fair Lady),
    'Soft' sci-fi (such as "The Time Machine" --both the 1960 and 2002 versions)
    Classic drama (Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice)
    Broad Drama (especially those that feature courage and personal strength -- such as "The Big Country")

Some films that we do much look forward to seeing (such as "Dunkirk") we are now keeping on hold until a less stressful time.

Its often been said that "we are what we eat." I think it is even more true that "we are what we think," Yes, and experience.

Anyhow, that's our thinking and the reason for the choices we have been making.

Movies! Movies! Movies! :) :) :)

-don

210543_1820283419305_3579409_o.jpg Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 7.25.16 AM.png

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    JurnyWannaBe, mb doug, Taurus and 3 others like this.
  5. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    If you're looking for a recent, light hearted feel good movie my wife and I throughly enjoyed 'The Peanutbutter Falcon'

6. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Thanks.

I googled it. And yes, we'll look for it! :)

-don

7. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Meister

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    Life 2017 (sci Fi )
    Moon 2009 (sci Fi)
    Swiss Army Man (Drama - psychological and a little comedy)
    Outsider series at HBO go

8. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Beyond The Law, Charlee Sheen. Seen it several times but its been years.

9. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    If you're very into film you'll be glad to hear I'm a massive Kurosawa fan, just like George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, Lucas' 'Star Wars' was heavily influenced by 'Hidden Fortress', and Spielberg nicked the scene in 'Schindler's List' where a tiny bit of colour was inserted into a black and white film from, 'High and Low' and the scene in 'Saving Private Ryan' where Tom Hanks is on the beach and gets temporary hearing loss from 'Ikiru'. All of these films are worth a look, only 'Hidden Fortress is a Samurai film.

10. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I'm mainly watching British films made from the late thirties to the late fifties, black and white goodness. :D

11. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    Oh yeah, tell me about it, Will Hay's "Oh, Mr Porter" is regularly in the IMDB top 100 and gets a good review on there, it's in my top 3

JurnyWannaBe, mb doug and beagle like this.
  12. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Oh yes! Me too.

His influence on the better Hollywood filmmakers is immense. Storylines, yes. But also more. Introspection coupled with rare objectivity to the entire human experience revealed through a set of circumstances and laid bare for all to see..

Again, Yup!

My very favorite, A#1, film of all time is such. Carol Reed's "The Third Man."

-don

mb doug, Uncle Joe and Marko60 like this.
  13. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-holic

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Just watched Monty Python and The Holy Grail.

14. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Nut

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    In the past 24 hours:

Casablanca (already mentioned in another thread)
    The Searchers
    Another Thin Man
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    The Hurt Locker

Yesterday included:

The Man Who Never Was
    The Man Who Found Himself
    You Can’t Take It With You
    Dinner At Eight
    One Way Passage

mb doug, BlueTele, Uncle Joe and 2 others like this.
  15. billyb

billyb Squier-Meister

Jun 13, 2018
    Central Michigan
    Just watched a film I'd never heard of...Roman Polanski...I happen to think he's a VERY underrated Director (Chinatown)...
    This one is called "The Ghost Writer" (2010)

... stars Ewan McGregor, Pierce Brosnan, Kim Catrall, Olivia Williams, Tom Wilkinson, Timothy Hutton, & Eli Wallach...
    I wonder with a cast this talented why it never did sh*t at the box office...
    Excellent story and the camera work is strong...
    Polanski shows his love for Hitchcock in this one...
    You Tube has it for free right now...

16. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Yesterday I decided I had to see if "Cats" was as bad as I'd heard. It was worse. This week I've got "Color Out of Space", "The Way Back", a japanese zombie flick called "One Cut of the Dead" that's getting a lot of positive buzz and an interesting sounding drama called "Banana Split" up on the agenda.

mb doug and Marko60 like this.
  17. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    Exactly, people who watch Seven Samurai and think they've just watched a Samurai film have missed the whole point

mb doug and duceditor like this.
  18. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    If you like a bit of film noir, The Third Man, you have to see Odd Man Out starring James Mason and Robert Newton

mb doug likes this.
  19. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Oh, to be sure!

We owned that on LaserDisc -- still have it I'm sure. But I've not seen it in years.

A film of a totally different type, but pure Brit... Have you seen "Hobson's Choice"?

That was another film much loved in our LaserDisc days. But I so missed it that just about a year ago I bought a DVD made for England. (We have an all-areas player for such films)

In any case, just wonderful!

-don

mb doug, Uncle Joe and beagle like this.
  20. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    I love Hobson's Choice, (and Charles Laughton) I watched it a couple of weeks ago

mb doug, beagle and duceditor like this.