Seen any BAD movies lately ???

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by billyb, Sep 20, 2020.

1. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Sharknado 1 and 2 are on Sci-Fi tomorrow. When I looked at the Spectrum channel guide over the next few days, I see that most of the bad movies on the Lifetime and Hallmark movie networks I've already seen. Is there any hope for me?

mb doug likes this.
  2. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    I downloaded one a couple weeks ago that I haven't watched yet called "Killer Raccoons 2: Dark Christmas in the Dark", which is apparently the sequel to "Coons! Night of the Bandits of the Night".

I have two from Rifftrax (the guys from MST3K) called "Lycan Colony" and "Beaks" as well. I love fun bad movies

-r3- likes this.
  3. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    As a true movie lover my answer has to be "no." Not because there aren't lots of truly awful films but because there are entire classes of movies that I simply do not view.

Superhero films head the list.

Dumb "tee hee hee" adolescent sex comedies? No thank you.

Slasher movies? Today's faith-free Christmas movies? On and on the list goes.

And stale remakes of yesterday's blockbuster but made with a new, modern, "woke" feminist slant? Nope.

And that leaves slim pickins from today's crop.

Slim, but not without exception.

The one thing I DO appreciate in today's films is the technology. The fact that almost anything that a writer/director/producer can imagine can become real on the screen.

Roland Emmerich's 2019 film "Midway" was an example of this. And I liked that enough to screen it twice.

No, it wasn't a "great" movie in the sense of, say, "The Bridge on the River Kwai." -A film with a unique and eye opening point of view as well as a thoroughly entertaining way to spend a couple of hours. But is was to me satisfying. And created digital reality that would otherwise be impossible to screen.

Other than that I watch older films. Hollywood greats for sure. But also quite a few "b" films that are simply entertaining. Especially sci-fi.

Is that because this stuff is actually "better"? No. Some is, some isn't. Its just because I like it. And that's a good enough reason for any of us to unapologetically watch anything.

That said, a good human drama, well written, well acted, will to me beat any special effect.

Yup, that's just me. And, fortunately, my film watching buddy. (Although she's a lot more into action flicks than I am.)

-don

4. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    Maybe 6 months ago I watched a Nicolas Cage movie called Mandy.
    I actually watched the last hour in fast speed. Horrible.

billyb likes this.
  5. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Saw that too, felt the same way. His recent "Color Out of Space" wasn't much better.

billyb likes this.
  6. mitch_cumsteen

mitch_cumsteen Squier-Nut

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    In my opinion, every movie since they began the madness with sequel, prequel, movie franchises, movies based on video games, video games based on movies, movies based on comic books, comic books based on movies, superheroes, supervillains, etc., has been bad. My wife and I quit going to movies about 20 years ago. We got tired of feeling like we got ripped off after spending two hours and $25.

There are good movies out there, no doubt, but you have to wade through a lot of crap to get to them and I don't have the patience.

My wife's really into the Hallmark Channel now and I like PBS. Brian's Song was on PBS the other night and I cried the same at 53 as I did when I was 10. Also, watched a NOVA episode on slime molds the other evening and it was fascinating...fascinating! :)

billyb and Ken Rose like this.
  7. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    My favorite Cage movie is quite a departure for him- Family Man with Tea Leoni. It's well worth watching IMO, and is a definite feel good film that's very well done, and is a good one for the whole family.

Uncle Joe likes this.
  8. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    We love that movie. Odd ending because the kids are either dead or never lived, but a cool idea in a Frank Capra/George Bailey style.

On the topic of bad movies, we watched Invisible Man starring Elizabeth Moss. Leonard Pinth Garnell would approve. Really, quite bad theater.

billyb likes this.
  9. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Yeah, I did see a real awful one.
    What was it ...
    Hmmm ...
    Don't remember, it was that bad.

billyb likes this.
  10. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    OOOOOh boy.... I'm all about cheesy movies, Prime has some real stinkers. Probably the worst film ever made is the infamous "Manos-The Hands Of Fate", but just last night I saw part of...I couldn't finish watching... "She-Devils On Wheels" about an all-girl motorcycle gang called "Maneaters". Bad beyond words. "Bigfoot: Still Tracking A Legend" is lots of one guy wandering around in the woods alone. That's it.

billyb likes this.
  11. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    Only one of you went into the theatre?:D

mitch_cumsteen and billyb like this.
  12. One String Sam

One String Sam Squier-Nut

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon

Re Filth, I saw it as a one man show at the theatre about twenty years ago and enjoyed it, maybe a better medium for it. Saw the movie too.

Last movie I saw was Inmate Zero, a zombie flick my mum bought, went over to hers and watched it last week, very so so.

billyb likes this.
  13. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Squier-Meister Platinum Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2019
    United States
    The blanket statements in this thread would make perfect horrible movie dialog. It's very meta.

14. CharGuitar

CharGuitar New Member

Jun 30, 2018
    Palm Coast, FL
    The absolute worst movie I’ve ever seen is Frankinweenie

billyb likes this.
  15. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    That was the part that broke my heart about that movie, that Annie, played by Makenzie Vega, who was the real star of the film, didn't really exist and, as Don Cheadle told him, she was only a glimpse of what could have been. Here she is now, lol.
    dd2aa3aec9ef70101ab52b4a0847cd6b--singers-actors.jpg

Uncle Joe likes this.
  16. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    No love for this mannequin masquerading as an actor?
    IMO his films are worse than Sharknado, 'cause they're supposed to be serious!
    steven_seagal-g.jpg

billyb likes this.
  17. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    I’ll keep it music related. The Laurel Canyon documentary with/by Jakob Dylan. It has such huge potential and all his interviews with so many legends, I kept thinking he was gonna say, “I’m sorry... who did you say you were?” “Ah... wait. Did you say something?” Like he was being forced to sit through time share sales pitch to get a free clock where all the numbers are dice.

18. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Hey, Steven Seagal movies are classics! Even if they are terrible, I always enjoyed their cheesiness haha

19. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Has anyone else seen Killer Klowns from Outer Space?
    killer-klowns.jpg

Ken Rose and billyb like this.
  20. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

There are two weekly shows on the local TV that show bad, cult, weird, sci-fi, and mysterious movies. We like the ones that are so bad they're worth watching just for that. The latest:

Bad, worth watching: Plan 9 From Outer Space. One of Ed Wood's cheap movies. Laughable acting, direction, and production, but has an actual plot.

Bad, not worth watching: The Lepus. Which is latin for rabbit. Rabbits that mutate due to some human error in the lab, then go around killing people. Close up shots of rabbit faces that look huge and dangerous. Not worth a second viewing.