Seeking advice on the Squier Cabronita non Bigsby pot swap

Discussion in 'Squier Vintage Modified models' started by Don21480, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Don21480

Don21480 Squier Talker

Feb 8, 2020
    North Carolina
    i recently found a “closet classic” cabronita - literally in a guys closet since 2013 ! Anyhow I’m getting a setup and a bone nut from my local guitar tech and i’m debating the swap of the 250k pot for a 500k while it’s there. I don’t want this guitar to sound like a traditional Tele because I have an awesome traditional Tele and I’m going to use this for recording so a jazzier thicker tone would be preferred - any advice on whether I should change to a 500k?

Mr Bones likes this.
  2. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
  3. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    It’s not just a pot, there’s additional circuitry on that little board on the pot.

*edit*
    While my Cab had the circuit board volume control (and I remember discussing it on TDPRI that some others did as well), research indicates that all of them did not, many have regular pots.
    I really liked my CAB, except for the candy coated neck, and it’s narrowness at the nut (why I no longer have any Squier Tele’s). It’s a great guitar. Had I kept it, I would have done a concentric Volume/Tone, and kept the simple look.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Don21480, drewcp and so1om like this.
  4. Don21480

Don21480 Squier Talker

Feb 8, 2020
    North Carolina
    I forgot to mention the installation of a Switchcraft 3 way switch and jack are happening anyway so if I keep the 25ok pot I will change out the mini alpha 25ok pot for a Emerson 25ok regular size. So no-one feels the 500k pot in the squire cabronita is a necessity? I thinks it sounds great with the 25o but I've never heard one with a 500k so I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Mr Bones likes this.
  5. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    so the jack and the switch are damaged too?

6. Don21480

Don21480 Squier Talker

Feb 8, 2020
    North Carolina
    No - no damage just upgrading while its in the shop for the new nut. They function fine but I generally upgrade all my guitars and basses pots jacks and switches.

7. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    With a 500k pot the guitar's sound would be a bit brighter, but you said you prefer a "jazzier thicker tone".

so1om and Don21480 like this.
  8. Don21480

Don21480 Squier Talker

Feb 8, 2020
    North Carolina
    Yes that's correct - a jazzier thicker tone is my preference for this guitar. I don't need brighter but wondered if it would be more open and fuller sounding with the 500k

9. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-holic

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    Two-fitty kay pot, trust me...;)

Don21480 likes this.
  10. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    The Cab and a traditional Tele have two totally different tones. Many actually prefer the Squier Fidelitron pups over the Fender version. Regardless, I was pleased and never had a desire to change the electronics.

Don21480 likes this.