sealed tuners dilemma

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by stratmanshow, Feb 25, 2021.

1. stratmanshow

stratmanshow Squier-Meister

Feb 7, 2014
    BC Canada
    Everybody hates open or can covered tuners right? I certainly do/did but as I pointed out in a recent post, some are better than others. Specifically, the ones that have the worm gear completely surrounded on the mounting plate and a tension screw to keep it snug as opposed to the standard old hooks that just keep them in place. That is a weak point which bends up, back and or sideways resulting in play which causes the gear to misalign into the sprocket gear which causes more wear and in no-time a huge gap will form between tuning up or down as well as bindinding of the gears when it starts to actually move. The other issue is the screw that holds the sprocket loosens and contributes the same problems.
    On the better open tuners shown, regular tightening of the screws will keep them working quite well especially if a touch of Vaseline or whatever has initially been dabbed on the worm.
    On a standard sealed die-cast tuner the worm gear is firmly held in place by the case so that is no longer an issue but there is still a screw under the cover and they definately come loose. The only way you can really tell is when the tuner and sleeve are removed. The post should move a little, but if you can stir it around, the screw is loose. And there (finally huh!) is the dilemma. The screw and gear won't fall out because of the cover. It won't have all the binding issues but it won't keep your tuning rock solid because there is a lot of play which isn't noticeable because of the tension screw on the button.
    The solution of course is to remove the cover and tighten the screw. The dilemma is how to get that damn cover off and back on without mangling it! Anyone ever had success or a technique to do that??? nnutrap.jpg

mb doug and LutherBurger like this.
  2. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Never, but I've tried. Maybe I just didn't use a big enough hammer. :)

mb doug likes this.
  3. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I have a box full of those tuners.

mb doug likes this.
  4. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    I’ve had guitars that were missing covers but never tried to take one off.

5. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    Couple of ways to open them if its the same style of casing im thinking of, on the back of the tuner there is hopefully a little circular plate, simply dab a little superglue on the edge of a screwhead and glue the screw on to the circular plate, once the glue has set, grip the screw threaded part and pull quickly and the circular plate will come off...
    Or you can heat the back of the tuner with a hair drier for a min or so, then with a strongish magnet pull the circular plate off.. to put back on, replace the circukar plate in position and tap with a fret hammer to seat it..job's a good'en!.

6. stratmanshow

Feb 7, 2014
    BC Canada
    sounds easy but those little discs are fragile like tinfoil!

7. fluffy391

fluffy391 Squier-Meister

Oct 16, 2020
    Sydney
    simple-use vintage slotted style tuners

Viking likes this.
  8. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    They may be but the question was how to access the screw, Ive answered that, whats done with the info is up to the OP..

9. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Actually not everyone hates open gear tuners. I put Grover open gear tuners on my EPI Specials and Jr. Work great. All classical guitars use them and open gear tuners come on a lot of high end guitars. Martin, Taylor, etc. have them on $3000 plus guitars. Guess they can’t be too awful bad.

10. stratmanshow

Feb 7, 2014
    BC Canada
    ok guys, I thought it would be a given that I was referring to the diagonal mount tuners and diecast found on on Squier guitars, and some method to re & re the discs in a way without mangling them. ;)