SE project about to get started

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by dogmatic, Oct 14, 2020.

1. dogmatic

dogmatic Squier Talker

Oct 7, 2020
    UK
    Ah! Thanks for that. Tbh it was about the same cost to get the whole assembly as it was to get just the saddles. I'll be keeping them as they are for now... unless a black one comes along!

2. dogmatic

dogmatic Squier Talker

Oct 7, 2020
    UK
    Forum members that love their SEs to stay red may want to turn their eyes away for the next couple of days...

20201016_233756.jpg

Stick with me... I promise it'll be worth it!

Bluzy and Forum Guest like this.
  3. dogmatic

dogmatic Squier Talker

Oct 7, 2020
    UK
    I just watched your video on paint removal. Man, you make it look easy! Does it come off like that round the horns too? Any tips?

Got home a bit late from work tonight so gonna have a go at it first thing tomorrow.

4. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    It’s definitely a little more tedious around the horns. The key is keeping the temp of the paint hot enough to come off, but not hot enough to scorch the wood. The first guitar I ever did I burned the wood a little bit. Luckily I was painting it a solid color so it didn’t really matter.

D6B5189C-2389-438D-8E3F-B2A8263EBB2D.jpeg

Here is part 2 of that same video. Getting the edges done.

dogmatic likes this.
  5. dogmatic

dogmatic Squier Talker

Oct 7, 2020
    UK
    Thank you! I'm going with a solid colour for the first one... olympic white with white primer as well just to be sure.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on.

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2020
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats on your project guitar. Looking forward to following your progress.

dogmatic and dbrian66 like this.
  7. dogmatic

dogmatic Squier Talker

Oct 7, 2020
    UK
    Paint is off...

Halfway through (everyone starts on the back, right?!)... 20201018_132156.jpg

Front done too...

20201018_132213.jpg
    Bit of tidying up round the sides...

20201018_144700.jpg
    Job done...

20201018_181849.jpg

Did the headstock too...
    20201018_185412.jpg
    The nut was ready for the knacker's yard and has been chucked in the bin. New one should be here tomorrow.

As there has been so much damage inflicted on the insides already I'm reluctant to do much to the cavities. Also the room I am gonna paint it in is getting plastered on Thursday and the paint won't be arriving until Tuesday so there's not a lot of time to spare!

Lesson for the day... if you are planning on a clear or transparent finish then strip a burst guitar so you can see what you're working with. The pieces glued together for this body are so obviously contrasting and of such differing grains that it just wouldn't be worth trying to use them for a natural oiled finish. Glad I've already opted for a solid colour. Also stripping off round the horns is tricky and time consuming! Lastly... it's true about the filler base coat. It's MUCH harder to shift than the paint. I'm guessing the bottom white layer was some sort of grain filler to compensate for the poor quality wood used for this body.

The paint and laquer came off really easy with the heat gun but I opted to do the filler layer at the same time so as not to have to do the whole thing twice.

Quick work through some grits: 80 for the bad bits where the scraper caught, then a spongy sanding pad round the curves, then 120 all over to smooth it down, then finally a 400 grit to finish before rubbing with spirit and wire wool. The ony reason I used those particular things is that's all I had in the shed!!

Also if you plan to watch motorbike racing on tv then leave 3 hours longer than you anticipate the job will take so you don't have to down tools!

Learned a lot today and looking forward to putting it all back together now.

More to come in the next few days...

Forum Guest, Best1989 and mkgearhead like this.
  8. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Nice work!!!!

9. dogmatic

dogmatic Squier Talker

Oct 7, 2020
    UK
    First coats of primer gone on yesterday...

20201026_112258.jpg

Done 1 more today. Gonna give it one last spray later then sand it before the paint goes on.