SE project about to get started

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by dogmatic, Oct 14, 2020.

1. dogmatic

dogmatic Squier Talker

Oct 7, 2020
    UK
    Just joined up a few days ago as I've been doing some research before my first project arrived... well it arrived in the post today.....

20201014_145124.jpg

Not sure of the year but it certainly seems to be an SE strat. How would I tell the year?

The idea is to turn it into something like this:
    20201011_155726.jpg
    My old E serial number MIJ contemporary strat. The neck was a bit on the skinny side for me so it had to go. I'm not gonna copy it exactly but I'd like to sttempt a refinish on the paint and swap the bridge pup out for a bucker of some sort with a splitter if possible.

The SE seems in need of some tlc, gave it quick shake down earlier and was pleasantly surprised by the way it feels and sounds! I have an 87 deluxe strat as well so I've got a good base to compare it to. Think I'll stick with the original neck and mid pups and get going with the paint job and sourcing new electric internals asap. Quite an impressive guitar though, expecially for the money... only £57 + postage.

Stay tuned!

Shaytan, Bluzy, Forum Guest and 8 others like this.
  2. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Looks good!. Should be a fun project. It looks to me like an SE, but I am not 10% certain on the European models.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Yes, that's the Euro Red SE. Man, it's a shame that you will remove the red. Have fun!

4. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

dbrian66 likes this.
  5. dogmatic

dogmatic Squier Talker

Oct 7, 2020
    UK
    Is it cheating to buy a loaded pickguard?

Couldn't resist it... wanted to save some time waiting on multiple orders coming in and just get cracking with the paint job. Was a bit over budget but it's come from a 2014 American Special so has texas specials middle and neck and a creamery bucker in the bridge. Unless the tex specials are REALLY special I might just sell them on and recoup some of the cost. I'll see how they sound.

That's one big piece of hardware down... tuners and bridge to go.

I'm working tomorrow and then jamming with some mates afterwards so I should be able to get started with the tear down at some point after that.

Anybody swapped their stock bridge out for the mex unit? Notice any/much difference if so? Seems like a relatively cheap and easy upgrade if it makes a difference.

loaded pickguard.jpg

drewcp and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. dogmatic

dogmatic Squier Talker

Oct 7, 2020
    UK
    tbh the red is starting to grow on me a bit ;)

7. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    HNGD! SEs were not offered in red in North America. Between my affinity (pun intended) for SEs and being jealous we do not have red ones here, I ... it does not matter. She is yours. Enjoy.

StratVegas and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  8. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    That looks great !

I'd just play her all day ;)

With a good the amp these guitars sound great !

9. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Just a kicked back frog... Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
  10. Kenneth Mountain

Is there a color you guys across the pond can't get ? Cause as a SE lover - a red one is on my bucket list ?

-r3- and fattboyzz like this.
  11. dogmatic

dogmatic Squier Talker

Oct 7, 2020
    UK
    I think I see an opportunity to start exporting these things to the states!

I promise not to show you any pictures of me lifting the paint off if it's going to upset people!

12. dogmatic

dogmatic Squier Talker

Oct 7, 2020
    UK
    I plugged it into a blues junior to try it out yesterday. I was surprised by just how decent it sounded, clean and with drive... my soft spot for all strats is the neck with the tone rolled off.

If I get time I'll do a quick setup today and maybe take it with me when we jam tonight. The pickups are a bit low and the action is a bit upsy downsy.

Kenneth Mountain and fattboyzz like this.
  13. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    With some drive & delay the partscaster I built with SE electronics shocked me through my MP15 :eek::eek:

14. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychopathic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Firstly welcome to the forum...
    Usually, If you take the neck off you can see the year stamped at the heel of the neck.
    And, I have to be honest, the Squier pickups are pretty dam decent, as most are. I'd leave the neck and middle and put in a bucker. Nice color red. I'd leave it red. I like the Pearloid PG w the cream knobs. Cool looking guitar...
    Enjoy.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  15. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    The elusive UK red SE............I thought there was a law against painting it. Welcome aboard.

16. dogmatic

dogmatic Squier Talker

Oct 7, 2020
    UK
    Took a screwdriver to it...

It's been brutally routed out at some point... straight through the body to the rear cavity. Oops! Also been lined but that won't matter too much as it's getting stripped anyway. Also looks like someone has already put a fender bridge on... all Fender branded saddles in place.

20201015_104726.jpg
    20201015_104628.jpg

20201015_104641.jpg

17. Kenneth Mountain

I'm sure I can move a few ! How often do they pop up where you are ?

18. dogmatic

dogmatic Squier Talker

Oct 7, 2020
    UK
    never paid much attention before... I'll let.you know next time one comes up.

19. dogmatic

dogmatic Squier Talker

Oct 7, 2020
    UK
    I had thought that but there was a homemade metal shim in the neck pocket that seems to have worn the stamp off so I can't make it out... was hoping for a serial number somewhere? Took a few cranks of the truss rod to level her out but it got there. That horrible sensation when you can feel the whole neck tensing up in your hands!

The nut is a total abomination (maybe made from a chopstick??) so there's a replacement graphtech arriving on Monday. 2 top strings were fretting out on the first fret. I'll take a picture tomorrow to show just what a mess it is. Onwards!
    20201015_133900.jpg

Angry Possum likes this.
  20. Fret Cheese

Fret Cheese Squier-Meister

Sep 10, 2016
    Bordeaux
    The saddles have been changed but the bridge/trem block is stock squier - you can tell from the thin pot metal trem block. That's a easy swap if you feel a full size block will make a tonal difference. Anyway have fun with the upgrades :)