Saw this in guitar center and couldn't help myself...fender

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Powerstroke, Jul 15, 2021.

1. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    Seat Toledo 1.6 turbo diesel thing, had it for 5 years now and on a long run it just keeps on impressing me with the constant fuel returns for miles driven.

2. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    Classic fret sprout imho, couple of ways to resolve this depending on how bad/sharp the ends are, one of those 3m pads gently rubbed up and down the neck length, or if they are too far gone then there is an angled wood block with fine file you can buy...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  3. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    Ah, thats the reason why then kiddo, you running your own business to be needing something this thirsty?.

4. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Diamond sharpening hones from Harbor Freight. Stiff steel and the aggressive first level is fast, but does not do much to wood at all. The stiff long hone floats on nothing but the fret ends. You can clean one up in minutes.
    I use lapidary laps, but that is because I am a lapidary, already have the laps, and the round laps give a good hand hold on each side while I use them.
    Then oil the fretboard.

5. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Biggest back seat ive seen. The dodge and chevy of that year seem smaller in back on the crew quad cabs. I have 3 kids so it nice. Also have to have a long bed so I can close my tailgate with sheets of plywood lol

fattboyzz likes this.
  6. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Gas motor truck would be worse. I have 2 diesels and a chevy tahoe. 3 kids and a business yes. My other truck is a 97 f250 HD extra cab long bed with lumber rack. It's a 7.3 powerstroke and a 5 speed manual. Both are 4x4. The 97 has a 4 inch lift and 35s on it. I drive it to homedepot and back or whatever. It's tuned and pretty nasty but gets better milage . Our tahoe never gets above 14 but 3rd row seats means I can keeps the kids separated .
    I used to drive Subarus and Hondas all the time but people here are crazy and I don't feel like my kids are safe if something happens.
    I do have the harley if I want cheap point a to b . Not sure what 04 softail gets but must be 40mpg or so.

FYI. I returned the fender. I wasn't up to the task of the frets at this price point. I picked up a little more me guitar. A 2020 jackson dinky js32tq with hardtail bridge in trans black to match my 2015 floydrose version .

7. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Our gallons are bigger...

fattboyzz and 5ofeight like this.
  8. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Emperial?

9. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Imperial.

One imperial gallon is equivalent to approximately 1.2 U.S. liquid gallons.

miket1117, grizzlewulf and 5ofeight like this.
  10. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Well that's just cheating

5ofeight, Powerstroke and miket1117 like this.
  11. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I remember in 1987 Honda made the crx hf it was like a 12 valve over head job 1.3l I think..(wasnt really a d series motor) with a carburetor and it got 47mpg back then. Auto makers and big oil are giving us the shaft.

12. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
  13. islandadventure

islandadventure Squier Talker

Aug 17, 2018
    Canada

Tape the neck with masking or green/blue painters tape. Carefully file then polish the ends. If you like you can modify a regular file to use or as mentioned by others, you can buy pre-made fret end files.

It might be a humidity issue so giving the guitar a week or so to adjust to your environment may allow it to take care of itself it some cases. Here are a bunch of videos to check on youtube that address the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+fix+fret+sprout+on+a+guitar

Amazon can provide you with tools that work and if you want to get quality ones Stew Mac or Luthiers Mercantile are good resources. You can make your own tools/files as well if you like that sort of thing.

I've not checked here in this forum but I'm guessing there is good info on this already to read up on.

The main thing to remember to do is to tape the neck and fret board so you don't damage the wood. Also, go easy with the file/s - don't press or force them, let the tool do the job with gentle strokes.

14. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I returned it to guitar center. It was vertical part of the fret that is embedded that had pushed through the side. For $540 used I shouldn't be filing mexico frets.
    It was a impulsive buy. I thought I was buying something nice. I looked the part and very very nice for a 1998 but cheap neck finish and stuff.
    I appreciate your time and effort.
    Thanks

BlueSquirrel and fattboyzz like this.
  15. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Im glad to hear you took this back !

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  16. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    I apologize to @Powerstroke for my comments and attitude in this thread previously. I was out of line, acting like a knowitall arrogant jerk and being critical. I need to meet people where they are, not from my point of view. Every day we can only strive to do better than the day before.

Rodiebobw likes this.
  17. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-holic

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Lol..Not sure if serious or he just boasted about wasting gas chasing guitar ghosts of yesteryear.. Magic 8ball says...Magic 8ball doesnt say anything!