Saw this in guitar center and couldn't help myself...fender

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Powerstroke, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-holic

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    It's only worth as much as someone is willing to pay.. ;)

fattboyzz, Robb, Mr Bones and 3 others like this.
  2. the_dude

the_dude Squier-Meister

Feb 17, 2021
    Japan
    HNGD! If you like the guitar you playing and you think the money was well spent then by all means enjoy the guitar. :cool:

We all have differences when it comes to what we have access to and have to decide what we want to spend and from where we want the guitar to come from. We all can go online and order anything from almost anywhere, but personally I have hold and play the guitar before I will purchase it.

I played an early 90's Fender Japan ST-57 last month with a ton of anticipation to love it, but I just couldn't bring myself to like it and I passed. It was about $400.

3. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
  4. lboorse2

lboorse2 Squier-holic

Dec 29, 2010
    Philly 'Burbs
    For what it's worth, I just sold an '01 Standard Strat on Reverb for $520 with a gig bag. Asking prices there are $550 and up. At least a few weeks ago they were.

VealCutlet and Powerstroke like this.
  5. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    I paid $250 for this in the Gator case a few days ago. It also came with the original pick guard. 2003 Fender Splatter Stratocaster. They’re asking $1000 for these on Reverb. Prices are all over the place though. I had the owner of a local mom and pop shop at my house the other day and he paid me 400 each for three Fender Strats I had, two of which were partscasters with upgraded pick ups.

15CC1B84-7F4D-408F-BD84-FE18242BE42F.jpeg 46C1CBD0-D2DA-4B17-BFAD-5E0DCA2E16E1.png 0C267661-76F8-449B-9533-9D6372B6D2FC.jpeg

6. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    £300 to £500 used here in this part of U.K., but as a new MiM Strat is £550..well used for £500 would need to be showroom condition. Personally I think you got a somewhat decent deal seeing as you got a case which here will set us back £170 for a fender branded case.
    If you are happy about what you paid and you are happy with the guitar, then what does it matter.

Robb likes this.
  7. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    The only database to use is this one - every other one is flawed....

https://start.fender.com/serial-number

It's a regular MIM Standard Strat..... You have to look up completed/sold listings on ebay to know what they've actually sold for, not asking prices. Reverb has a price guide too....

If you post it on Strat-Talk I can tag all of the experts on that site, I'm one of them, but if you'd like I can get other opinions if you're not sure if we're correct yet.....

I'm also kind of shocked that you didn't know all about what an MIM Standard is/was, such as having a small sloped block from 1989/90 until 2005, then in 2006 they went to a big block. That was also the year that they went to larger medium jumbo frets, yours has small vintage frets....this is common knowledge online.....

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    miket1117, drewcp, Luvs2yoko and 2 others like this.
  8. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Five years ago, it would not have sold for $300 unless it hung on the wall for a long time, but today?
    Five years ago, I could have literally filled a pickup truck with Affinities for less than $50 each within 30 miles of my home.
    That may be a decent price in that area today, but when the crazy is over, it will be worth half that.
    I paid $90 for my Squier Series, and today I could sell it for $300.

9. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I tend to learn about whatever I own. I had no intention of buying a fender stratocaster ever. So I never looked it up. I checked it on the fender database before I paid for it.
    Ignorance in this case. I'm at fault.
    I think learning the hard way has always been my issue haha.
    So now I know about the 2006 change.
    I had expected it to be in a class of its own with my 2015 mim telecaster.
    It's not quite on that level.
    It was late. We drove to take care of something. I had the epiphone special to return. The original store had a lp I wanted but they were closed early when we go there due to reduced staff. So we rushed to the other store. I didn't have alot of time. I impulse bought this.
    After playing it a bit. I probably should return it or sell it and let someone else enjoy it.

10. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    FYI I never order big things off ebay. But I sure wish people would look at completed listing before using ebay as a reference. I dont go off ebay ever.
    I go off of Craigslist and OfferUp and reverb sometimes.
    By the way I sold my 1996 NC6 squier strat for $220 last week. So prices are up there.

11. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I'm the same way. I can't buy something sight unseen. Too many things. Too many variables

Robb likes this.
  12. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    How can you base what real world used prices are by going to Craigslist and Offerup and seeing what outrageous asking prices people have? That makes no sense to me....confused.....

yes NC's are around $200 now....

5ofeight likes this.
  13. drewcp

drewcp Dr. Squier

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    400 is about the max for a MIM around here

Screenshot_20210715-153306_Chrome.jpg

14. miket1117

miket1117 Squier-Meister Gold Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    heck, im more curious about how you can spend $70 in gas getting to Phoenix and back... i know gas prices have gone up, but you gotta live a few hundred miles away and get horrible gas mileage. not questioning the veracity of your statement... more like surprised and curious.:D

5ofeight, drewcp and VealCutlet like this.
  15. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    HNGD. If you enjoy the guitar, who cares if you dropped a few dollars too many on it. Considering the HSC, I’m not sure you really overpaid.

Play it, make some music, and don’t think about th3 price again.

16. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    It's 115 miles each way and I get a 13-15 mpg. Live in prescott Arizona
    Depending on which store. Heres a few
    Screenshot_20210715-163113_Maps.jpg Screenshot_20210715-163104_Maps.jpg Screenshot_20210715-163044_Maps.jpg

Viking and miket1117 like this.
  17. miket1117

miket1117 Squier-Meister Gold Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    love prescott. love northern arizona. one of my favorite places. years ago, got to do some aerial photography around flagstaff. took 30 minutes, but had the plane for an hour, so we flew down through oak creek canyon into red rock country around sedona. beautiful from the ground, stunning from the air.

cheers!

shingh2002 likes this.
  18. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-holic

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    I hope that ya find yer happy place with yer new Strat, Amigo!

19. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Hard shell cases are a hundred bucks. I think you did fine. Some people (my wife is one) expect things to cost the same as they did 20 years ago.

20. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Craigslist and offer up are real world prices. In person hands on. Ebay is like a fairy tail. Exaggerated prices and no telling what you will really get. Used prices I. Pawn shops and guitar stores are where I would buy so those are real world to me. I dont buy guitars on ebay or reverb because I can't play it first. Does that make sense?

miket1117 likes this.