Saw this in guitar center and couldn't help myself...fender

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Powerstroke, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    1998 mim signature model of some sort when we run the serial. Almost appears to have original strings except for one broken high e that was replaced. It came w a nice case an some stuff. It was $499 plus tax and I was returning a plywood epiphone so I grabbed it and played it and thought it was nice and I've been wanting a nicer guitar. So $499 plus tax $540 usa dollars not tea and crumpets out the door. 20210714_234527.jpg
    I was suspicious about the small trem block and vague fender serial look up response. And how clean it is for a 1998
    20210714_234536.jpg 20210713_234724.jpg 20210713_235246.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  2. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    It looks like a very ordinary MIM Standard to me. Guitars from 98 aren't on the Fender database. It should have an MN8xxxxxx serial

3. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    It does. It shows up on another database as a signature. And gives exact year wheres fender says a stretch of years
    Do you think I paid too much for it?

chopdoc, Robb, dbrian66 and 3 others like this.
  4. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Screenshot_20191021-220451_Instagram.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  5. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    That database is often misleading. It has the year right, but it's not a signature model and yes, I think you paid too much.

chopdoc, dbrian66, drewcp and 3 others like this.
  6. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Yes that is a standard mim Fender, I have a similar one but that is earlier than mine.

If it's a great guitar and you love it, it's worth the price as it will make no difference over the next years.

The thing to check is the condition of the frets. Those are vintage frets and can be worn.
    If the are fine still, all is good.

7. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Yea, my first reaction was that's kinda pricey

8. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    That's what they are selling for used at guitar center or Craigslist in Arizona. And you ain't getting no case with it and you can't take it back if you don't like it unless you buy from guitar center. He'll a used affinity is going for $200 here on Craigslist
    I buy from guitar center because they take care of me and if I have problem they take it back.
    If you guys can find em for 300 you better let the rest of us know because it ain't nice to keep secrets?
    I've probably spent more $ in fuel than most of you have in guitars this year. So it's all relative. When it cost $70 round trip to look at guitars in Phoenix it adds up really fast.
    Anyway I am asking a bunch of squier heads about fender prices! Doh doh doh

Rodiebobw, Exhead, VealCutlet and 3 others like this.
  9. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    I'm now interested in what the folks on Fender forums say about this guitar and whether it's markedly different from what's been offered here.

mb doug and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  10. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Don't take offense, you asked. We all have some Fenders too. Squier is a good platform for mods

Robb, shingh2002, beagle and 2 others like this.
  11. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Are you posting under two different handles ?

drewcp, mb doug and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  12. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Truth be told if I were a salesman & I was going to sell you a late 90's Mexi Fender I would've offered a free string change & set up for that kind of coin ...

fattboyzz, Exhead, miket1117 and 3 others like this.
  13. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Well show me some postings somewhere besides eBay or something where you can find 1 for $500 or less Because I would sure like to know Maybe I'm living in the wrong country.
    This is just a quick look at the cheapest mim ones here.

Screenshot_20210715-020233_OfferUp.jpg Screenshot_20210715-020241_OfferUp.jpg Screenshot_20210715-020616_OfferUp.jpg Screenshot_20210715-020917_Opera.jpg

Bob the builder and mb doug like this.
  14. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I would give exactly the same answer on Strat-Talk, as would most people I know.

drewcp, Kenneth Mountain and mb doug like this.
  15. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    No? Why?

Kenneth Mountain and mb doug like this.
  16. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    Surreptitiousness has never quite been in my wheelhouse.

The OP's reaction to feedback was a bit opposing; I really am curious about other site's views. I'd be surprised if it were different from what's here.

17. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Ok anyway they don't sell for less than $500 us dollars anywhere ive seen privately or publicly. I do think they are way over priced. I hadn't checked in some time because mostly I don't search out fender guitars.
    I looked real quick and everything was at 500 there was some old stuff at 350-450 but I dont know about abroad but here in the states prices have risen on everything. Used cars for example are 3 times what they were. Most places can't keep guitars in stock. It's crazy times here.
    Corona prices.
    If I decide I paid too much I just return it and waste another $70 in fuel to return it or buy something else.
    If im not 100 percent happy with it...back it goes and someone else will buy it the day they put it out

Kenneth Mountain and mb doug like this.
  18. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-holic

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
  19. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    I believe just because they ask those dollars does not mean they actually get those prices. Notice they are still for sale.

Waldo Jones and drewcp like this.