Ryan (60 Cycle Hum) rates his 5 Squiers ... and the winner is ...(read on)

Discussion in 'Other Squiers' started by Ralph124C41, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    First Ryan seems to be a big fan of all things Squier and he rates his five Squiers. Actually he says he likes them all but he has to have a winner and one that comes in fifth.

(SPOILER ALERT: No. 1 is his Starcaster)

Now I'm more interested in the Starcaster as I like offsets but I'm pretty well set on semi-hollows and I've promised myself to find money to buy a Firefly transparent blue when (and if) it shows up again. I've been waiting for more than a year so ..... If I get one I will most likely sell off my gold-topped Firefly.

2. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    I like Ryan and most of his videos are thought out and are constructive. Def. better than most out there.

But like everything, knowledge is power for making informed decisions. And some things are just information and opinion. Like always, a grain of salt.

I’m fortunate to have so many instruments and I have an 03 HS Cyclone.... do I want the 3 pickup version???

radiotech likes this.
  3. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    If you like thinner necks, stick with a firefly over the Starcaster, but if you like confortable-chunky, any of the three Starcasters is miles above the FF’s in neck comfort, and build quality. The CV has the usual candy-coated poly neck (finally played one), but the Affinity is a perfect satin finish. I’m waiting for an Affinity to show up in the used market for about $200 (I’ll be waiting a while...). They are much Lighter than the Fender models were, and the pickups are brighter (Though I haven’t played the contemporary).

I couldn’t stand that I could pull my FF338 out of tune with just my regular playing dynamic (especially on a strap), and my chubby mitts didn’t love how skinny it was... but the Starcasters have NONE of that.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  4. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I have the Affinity Starcaster and it is a great guitar.

It has the thinnest neck of any guitar I own, I thought I'd hate that, but it is a very comfortable neck. I could not abide the glossy neck of the VM version. Too sticky.

Chilidawg and radiotech like this.
  5. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Wild... Both the Affinty, and CV I played were wide, and just a bit chunky at the nut.
    Both were miles more comfortable, and lighter than the Fender versions from a couple years back (better balanced too).

Dr Improbable likes this.
  6. Kiwi 5

Kiwi 5 Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    New Zealand
    Never heard of this guitar before- I have to say the shape is.....um...weird. And that's being polite- the pickguard would have to go if I had one.

7. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    I’m still undecided on the pickguard, looks odd hanging on the wall, but looks entirely normal while playing it... plus, then you have a hole in the top if you remove it (I’d put a screw in it).
    I recently did a review if you’d care to see:
    https://www.squier-talk.com/threads/ngd-cv-starcaster.181007/