Rustoleum Painter’s touch 2x garbage

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by so1om, Dec 26, 2018.

1. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    I bought a red Mini from @Kenneth Mountain back in September. Used pink minis are hens teeth around here -and Ken gave me a phenomenal price.

Yet for all these months I have been trying to paint it.

I have followed the directions from the Rustoleum site to a T. The primer was adequate. It wasn’t remarkably great, but as expected. Check.

I sanded to a soft to the touch silky smoothness. Applied color. Well?

It looked like it was spray painted, that grainy texture. Well. I sanded. And then painted and that lifted the first to orange peel certain places.

More sanding and prep. And paint of color. Finally... though it still looked like it was spray painted. Blah. Garbage. Anyway eventually I got it passable.

Then a nice series of light clear and... nope. Peels up different areas of the color. Start over. Finally got the color corrected again.

Clear. More garbage.

I’m starting to think I have a few bad cans of paint.

I finally decided to let’s just get something on there no matter how bad it looks because, well I’m into 4 cans already. 2 color, clear, primers.

The top looks ok and the back, well, looks like a spray job. I sand and sand the last of the orange peel. I JUST want it consistent be it nice or spray crap.... and there’s it goes. It’s like I’m spraying paint remover.

I absolutely hate painting, without a doubt. Let me hand my daughter a nice piece of garbage.

I’d stay away from Rustoleum 2x Painters Touch.

theflow, Big tuna, RoyalWe and 2 others like this.
  2. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    Best of all, the mini is a smaller body. I can’t imagine going through a case for a full-size body.

3. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

I feel the pain - I can't finish to save my life . Congrats to all the people that can - it truly is a art !

theflow, so1om and snivlem like this.
  4. mustang freak

mustang freak Squier-Meister

Nov 4, 2017
    london
    always hated the stuff....

5. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    Exactly! I can’t even get it to look like someone spray painted it.

6. Michael7

Michael7 Dr. Squier

I like Rustoleum. You can put down heavy coats, but the conditions have to be right. I also let it dry a good amount of time between sessions, and that was during the summer. If you were getting orange peel, you were probably putting down coats that dried before they hit the body, too fast or too far from work piece, and couldn't flow out. I did wet sand mine, and think it came out great. No clear coat was used, this just the paint.

2051-01-11 06.43.57-11 (2).jpg

7. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I suck spray painting. I avoid it at all costs.

8. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    I use lighter coats and wait days for it to dry and flash off. Looks like you had some good applications there. I wouldn’t even post a pic, I’ve seen graffiti on brick and box cars that looks better.

This peels in different areas different times and goes all the way to the primer. I’m guessing bad paint because if I wanted to strip it, I could just spray this and use a putty knife.

9. mbroadus

mbroadus Squier-Meister

Dec 31, 2012
    jax
    I'm a sign painter and have used rattle cans for over 40 years. First, the best spray paint was Krylon (with the balls on the label) this was discontinued because of EPA guidelines. This paint dried rock hard within minutes and was very glossy. This made it easy to work with. The new spray cans are not nearly as good. I would use Krylon made to "bond to plastic", because it's made to stick to anything and is almost as good as the old stuff.

Taking a few guesses here, it sounds like the paint wasn't thoroughly mixed. If this was the case the solvents will create hot spots and dry uneven and even orange peel can occur. The primer could of had wet paint below the surface that came "alive" when the new paint hit it, thus making it crawl.

So sand all of the paint off down to the primer, then sand the primer as smooth as possible. I would let it air out for 5 or 6 days, just to make sure everything is completely dry and hard. Then I would take a tack cloth to remove any dust, SHAKE the **** out of my top color can. Spray a test stream on something, make sure it's coming out nice and even. Spray the guitar in nice even coats from the bottom to the top at a 45 degree angle, overlapping the coats slightly. Make sure your spray is always "wetting" the previous lap and the overspray is flying away from the guitar . Do not spray willy nilly, the overspray will dull the wet coat and ruin the finish. Let dry for a few more days and you should be good to apply a top coat clear if you want to.

Good Luck!!!! Matt

10. Michael7

Michael7 Dr. Squier

I also kept the cans I was using on top of my refrigerator the night before, near the rear, so they were warmer than room temp. If I needed to use a can that had not been warmed up, I put it in a sauce pan of hot water for 15-20 minutes.

I usually spray the edges and the hard to reach spots first in lighter coats, then do the flat surfaces, and then the edges again in each session. I wanted to build up the edges, since they need the most paint to prevent sand-through during wet sanding.

I had no trouble painting Rustoleum with the body held horizontally by my Workmate, which is counterbalanced by the battery from my sail boat. When I tried Krylon like this, it wouldn't let me spray well at the downward angle I needed. I mostly sprayed outside and then brought the rig inside to escape dust and bugs, etc.

2015-09-14 15.21.10.jpg

11. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    Thanks for all the tips. The original plan was she was going to put stickers on it. Then she thought no because it started out nice. But stickers, yes again for the obvious reason.

Sanding tomorrow and then fresh paint can from the store.

Of course thanks to @Kenneth Mountain for the guitar and a few goodies he tossed in the box. He is a 1st teir standup dude!!

12. My first attempt with Rustoleum 2x was good, BUT … I didn't wait long enough for the paint to cure before applying the clear. Ended up with some paint wrinkle and had to re-sand and paint again. I waited a full month, maybe 5 weeks before applying the clear the next time. A series of wet sanding from 800 to 1800 grit on the clear and then a series of compound, polish & glaze with the dual action before the end result. Patience and time are your only friends during the process. There are no short cuts. Good advise above from @mbroadus and @Michael7 .

My end results on an Squier SE heirloom white.

Heirloom SE.jpg
    Heirloom SE2.jpg

Cheers, Barrie.

13. mbroadus

mbroadus Squier-Meister

Dec 31, 2012
    jax
  14. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    I noticed you mentioned "light coats" a few times. My experience is that if you spray light, the end results gets a "powdery finish" type look that is kinda matt rather than glossy. You need to apply a little heavier but be careful as it's a fine line between correct application and too much or too little! It took some practice for me but once I felt comfortable with the amounts being applied, it made the rest of the process so much easier! Good luck.

15. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    Yeah. Heavy wasn’t working so I went lighter to prevent it all from peeling up.

It’s raining today and I don’t feel like leaving the house. I’ll get a new can tomorrow and see what’s up.

16. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-holic

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    I've messed up enough rattle can projects by being impatient. On this Mini I was careful with how heavy and evenly each coat was applied and waited a minimum of four days between coats of color, then a week before applying the clear. I used Rustoleum 2x. Satin color and matte clear.

011.JPG 022.JPG

17. You got some nice results on the mini Squier Squirt. ;)
    Cheers, Barrie.

18. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-holic

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    Thanks Barrie. Your white SE came out beautifully too! Gotta' get me white Strat.

19. srx700xxx

srx700xxx Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2016
    I hope to have better luck with the Rust-Oleum 2x but it won't have to be as fussy because it won't be on a guitar. I have a couple of cans of it for an airplane. Now I just have to decide what scheme I'm after and how good the masking job goes as to the details.

20. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    I paint a lot of guitars. Sometimes I use automotive paints from PepBoys if I want a pearl or metallic. I use Rustoleum and Krylon for straight colors and dont have a problem with them. They are finicky about conditions such as heat, cold, temperature, and humidity. The thing about orange peel is you cant be afraid to coat over it again, I usually do that so that it will sand better and come out more even. Don't try to sand it if you have on a thin coat...I then sandwich color/clear/color/clear,etc...

PsT7 (2).JPG DSCN4309.JPG