"Ruder-Caster" or "When Worlds Collide"

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Block Head Ike, May 8, 2020.

1. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

Some updates to the Rudercaster project. After much consideration regarding the neck pickup, I have rejected both the possibility of an original gold foil from my bighorn wall hanger, and the "gold foil look" strat sized mini humbucker I received from Amazon. I did like the look and possibilities of a Strat sized pickup in the neck (so many choices!) and I like the way the faux gold foil cover looks - except for the color. So I stripped the cover off of one pickup and searched the paint cabinet for something suitable to match the raw unfinished stamped aluminum finish of the MBG pickup I'm using in the bridge. As luck would have it I have some excellent brake caliper enamel that has fine metallic-ceramic particles in it. My experience when using it over ferrous metal is that it looks very much like aluminum with a dull matte finish. I decided to give it a go figuring that at worse I could paint both the gold foil cover and the MBG cover to match.

upload_2020-5-11_10-50-29.png

2. Block Head Ike

That is original finish on the MBG pickup and the painted gold foil cover. I think the match is close enough.

upload_2020-5-11_10-55-48.png

daan likes this.
  3. Block Head Ike

Time to start cutting the pick guard to fit the bridge and selecting control placement and exact pickup locations.

upload_2020-5-11_11-0-26.png

4. Block Head Ike

I think I nailed it as far as pickup location is concerned! On to the controls!

upload_2020-5-11_11-3-0.png

5. Block Head Ike

took a bit of jockeying to get enough clearance without re-routing the existing cavity, but I am happy with how the knobs and switch fall to hand.

upload_2020-5-11_11-6-39.png

speelyei likes this.
  6. Block Head Ike

So, what's next? I think for now I will go back to the parts box for an interesting Strat-type neck pickup choice. Jeez, it pays to dig through your accumulated stuff once in a while! In my case, I discover some gems that I have forgotten about! Check this out: A pair of grey bobbin Fender pickups (Dec 65 and Jan 66) that came out of a Duo Sonic I owned back in the '80s! I replaced these with pickups from a Strat that my friend was butchering, er, modifying at the time. Not exactly gold foil, but certainly interesting as a neck pickup choice. I think one of these should work out fine with the Dano wiring harness.

upload_2020-5-11_11-15-8.png

7. Block Head Ike

A close up of the concentric controls and 3 way switch arrangement.

upload_2020-5-11_11-18-8.png

8. Block Head Ike

So that's where I leave it for now...next step is to break out the soldering iron and wire it up, put some shielding in the cavity, and get some strings on this monster.

upload_2020-5-11_11-20-52.png

speelyei likes this.
  9. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    I promise I won't go to Heaven and tell Hound Dog Taylor what you're doing with this guitar!

Block Head Ike likes this.
  10. Block Head Ike

Ha! Is that rain? Nope. It's the tears of purests crying! :p

wonkenstein likes this.
  11. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Good one! But you know if you're on a pilgrimage to Cooder Land you may get redemption!

12. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Perhaps the Hound Dog smiles upon you?

13. Block Head Ike

One can only hope! Between the covid confinement and the wallet clamp, messing with this low-budget build has been the only thing keeping me sane the past few days. Thank my lucky stars for all the bits and pieces I have accumulated and carted around with me over the years and the great camaraderie of fellow Squier-Talkers for inspiration and encouragement! Got the Ruder wired up late tonight and it SINGS! Gotta figure out how to post some sound samples! Old dog - new tricks! LoL! I think Hound Dog would be proud.

14. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Meister

Sep 22, 2020
    Mesa, AZ
    Howdy. This is a great project. Any updates?