Routing with dremmel.

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Rgdavid, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-holic

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    ^^ What he said ^^

2. Ray Stankewitz

Ray Stankewitz Jammin' in my Music Room Platinum Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2014
    Central Indiana
    I wouldn't suggest a Dremel for ANY body routing, solely because it's not designed to do that much work all at once. It can do small trim work, etc. but it's not powerful enough to rout an entire body. One big thing, 1/8" shanks aren't that strong. Trust me, been using Dremels for fifty-five years and I have seen just about every Dremel mishap possible.

To properly (and cheaply) rout a body, go to a Goodwill or a Habitat For Humanity store, maybe a mom and pop Pawn shop or flea market. Find an old but serviceable router, a Bosch, Craftsman, Dewalt, Ryobi, etc. Just test it to see that it will run. Probably less than $50 USD. You will need some straight cutting bits with bearings and a template for what you want to cut out. Watch some YooToob vids, learn what you can. If you don't understand some step, come back and we'll try to help. It's not rocket science but over-extending the capacity of a tool can be dangerous.

And, before you ask, it would take days to cut a body and you might go through a few Dremels and multiple bits in the process.

Caddy, Afrika61, Rgdavid and 2 others like this.
  3. AcrylicSuperman

AcrylicSuperman Squier-Meister

Jan 12, 2021
    Arizona
    Once enlarged a route in an ash strat body with a dremel. Ended up getting the job done but it killed the dremel tool. It was a such a monumental pain in the ass that I vowed never to use one for that purpose ever again.

Buy a cheap router. You'll be a lot better off.

4. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    You'll change your mind quickly when you accidentally drag one across paint.

Don't ask me how I know...

Rgdavid likes this.
  5. shingh2002

shingh2002 Squier-holic

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    I haven’t go that far myself but there usually are kits that sell the attachment and the bits together.

This is probably true. In the instance of enlarging pickups routes and cavity depth would you classify that as small details or large cutting?
    I once enlarged the cavity to my affinity Strat, rather poorly as I didn’t have any routing bits or a attachment to maintain a 90 degree angle, so I ended up sanding a dish in the cavity where my pots were using the sanding drum. It was scrappy work but I never felt there dremel was struggling. Could this be the difference in the woods? The affinity is alder, which I believe is much softer than mahogany and maple. I don’t know much about Ash.

Hmm, yeah I did have a suspicion of that. All in all, I think we can agree it’s not the perfect tool for the job.

And based on the members voicing their concern and the wealth of experience between them, maybe it’s not the safest option either.

6. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    You can nip down to B&Q and get a brand new Bosch router for £80. Cheaper than killing your Dremel on something it was never designed to do.

shingh2002 and Archtops like this.
  7. Rgdavid

Rgdavid Squier Talker

Oct 13, 2021
    London
    Thanks very much guys for the advice, I'll try get a second hand router and practice on some wood. Something new to learn and conquer.

8. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

Good to use when you want to open a cavity up a little for larger pots too.

jamesgpobog likes this.
  9. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    Absolutely. The thing is, you've got a set vertical, and on slowest spindle speed there is very little chance of something catching and throwing the drill press or work across the room. It is VERY controlable, and it is easy to hit high spots, or gently shave an edge in small increments.

Chuck up the rasp, set the work, raise the table until just shy of bottoming out and hit the go-button. Just like a real router, push the work into the rotation, not with it.

10. Ray Stankewitz

Ray Stankewitz Jammin' in my Music Room Platinum Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2014
    Central Indiana
    ^This^

Looking from the top, the router spins clockwise. You want to cut with the top of the bit and move the router to the right to cut. This also applies to Dremels and their ilk when using them to do light duty routing. This keeps the bit from 'running' across the wood, making it very dangerous to hold on to. BTW, always hold onto a router firmly with both hands when routing.

11. MAS Tequila

MAS Tequila Squier Talker

Nov 22, 2021
    south FL
  12. Boyd L

Boyd L Squier Talker

Dec 11, 2021
    Kentucky
    My best way is with a milling machine with end mills. Most precise way to cut wood "by eyeballing" I've experienced.