Rosewood Fingerboards from Fender, Squire???

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Squier-Talk, May 19, 2017.

1. Squier-Talk

Squier-Talk Administrator Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Hill Country, TX
    Admin Post
    So, I've been reading posts picked up from Music Radar and Anderton's across the pond from here and their declaration that Fender isn't using Rosewood any longer. So, I reached out to FMIC for the straight dope.

Music Radar and Anderton's have stated that MIM Fenders will be Pau Ferro and US models will go to Ebony wood. Turns out this is partially true and partially not so much.

Here's the word from the Fender CEO himself:

Fender is committed to the continued use of Rosewood in American-made solid body guitars, such as our American Professional Series. After actively exploring alternate wood options to Rosewood for selective use on a few US models, we will be transitioning most of our Mexico made product away from rosewood to pau ferro, a fantastic alternate we currently use on the SRV signature strat. The American Elite series is transitioning to ebony fretboards with dealers and our inventories. Rosewood is still used on many series of instruments, as it is a historically accurate tone wood. The changeover will be somewhat fluid in the market, there is no set date at this time.

We are still currently evaluating options for Squier and the acoustics category

FMIC’s specialty brands, Gretsch, Jackson, Charvel and EVH will continue to use Rosewood in both solid body and acoustic models, from all source countries.

Fender is committed as a brand to comply with all CITES regulations and to ensure we are continuing to deliver the best quality and accessible products to our customers and dealers.

- Andy Mooney, CEO Fender

2. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Meister

I don't really care one way or the other....as long as the fingerboard is smooth and level and the guitar is a player, it's good to go....although I do like rosewood, love maple, and love ebony :)

5ofeight, Hard Road, Caddy and 2 others like this.
  3. Las Palmas Norte

Las Palmas Norte Squier-Meister

That seems to be pretty close to what I'd heard after first hearing "No Rosewood". This sets the record straight. Thanks for posting this piece.

Cheers, Barrie

Hard Road likes this.
  4. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Thanks for getting the info straight from the source.

Hard Road likes this.
  5. Hoss

Hoss Squier-holic

Dec 20, 2009
    McGill, Nevada
    Great info! Thanks!

Hard Road likes this.
  6. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    That info is greatly appreciated...Thank you...

Hard Road likes this.
  7. Steelcityowl

Steelcityowl Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Sheffield UK
    Interesting.

I feel it's inevitable that as time goes on we will see less and less rosewood.

Hard Road likes this.
  8. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Won't long before rosewood will be a thong of the past on guitars. Worse for many other brands than for Fender. With them it would really only effect Jags, Jazzmasters and some basses that traditionally used rosewood. Very little effect on their biggest sellers, Strats and Teles.

Far more effect on companies like Gibson. PRS, Martin, Taylor, etc.

Hard Road likes this.
  9. Las Palmas Norte

Yup ... most likely so.

Cheers, Barrie.

Hard Road likes this.
  10. Hard Road

Hard Road Squier-Meister

Apr 18, 2017
    Orange County
    Good info thanks. I would bet the other woods will play and feel just fine. Should be less expensive but I am sure they will call the woods exotic and charge more for it :p

Caddy likes this.
  11. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Meister

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    Well, I understand Gibson and Martin are making good use of that Masonite type stuff for their finger boards. Quite a few folks seem to have no problem with them on the Gibson board. Then again some do. It's a new thing and there's all sorts of misinformation about it. I don't think I'm gonna live long enough to see this stuff in mandatory use. I do prefer rosewood. It has nothing to do with any tone wood debates. I just like the way it looks.

Las Palmas Norte, Viking and Davey like this.
  12. Las Palmas Norte

I think that's what it boils down to in many cases ... personal preference

Rollmeaway likes this.