RockSmith Video Game

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by papa920, Feb 22, 2020.

1. papa920

papa920 Squier-Nut

Oct 9, 2011
    Illinois, USA
    Anybody use the RockSmith Video game to practice or learn Guitar I bought it for My 10yr old grandson and he now has his guitar in hand 3 to 4 hours a day . I am not sure how much he is learning other than moving his fingers around the fingerboard but he sure is enjoying himself .

dbrian66 likes this.
  2. Forum Guest

Forum Guest Squier-Meister

Jan 22, 2019
    United States
    I’ve used it to learn a few songs, and I think others have mentioned it here as well. The technique I started using after reading some other forum members’ experiences with it was to go into practice mode for a given song and increase the difficulty up to 100%, where you’re playing every note, but drop the speed way down to where I could actually play each of them. Then incrementally speed the song up as I got better and better after time, rather than the default of only playing a handful of notes per song and incrementally stepping up.

dbrian66 likes this.
  3. drewcp

drewcp Dr. Squier

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I think it's a fantastic way to learn songs, if you think that playing music without understanding is more important than theory.

That may sound kind of judgmental but I didn't intend it that way.

I think Rocksmith is fine, but it can only teach so much.

dbrian66 likes this.
  4. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I think it’s great. Like you said, your grandson is playing 3 - 4 hrs a day. That’s already an accomplishment. It’s fun to play and definitely challenges me. The competitive nature in me always wants to get a better score! :)

Once he is hooked and has learned the “hows”, get him into some lessons so he can learn the “whys”.

5. wickedtools

wickedtools Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    My granddaughter uses it with her Hello Kitty Squier, I did string it with the Color coded strings and instead of calling the EAD strings they are Red, Yellow, Blue strings:confused:

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. Forum Guest

Forum Guest Squier-Meister

Jan 22, 2019
    United States
    When I first started taking lessons a couple years ago, there was a kid (about 15) who was right before be who had the same multi-colored strings on his SE. I assumed it was for the same reason.

wickedtools and dbrian66 like this.
  7. TheWincert

TheWincert New Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Boston, USA
    Pretty handy thing, but I will say that the finger position, correctness and skills in a video game can not learn.

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I have that in a carton down in the basement. When it first came out my family gave it to me for Christmas. It was fun but once it got me into the rhythm of structured practicing I put it down and got into practicing. I'm going to bust it out. Thanks for reminding me. There are a couple of songs on there that were fun. I taught my oldest daughter Sunshine of Your Love with that thing.

I do think it's a really good tool for kids raised on video games. The competitive nature of the RockSmith is a blessing and a curse for players though. Cool technology but lacking soul. Worth checking out for any interested guitar player, I think.

9. TheWincert

TheWincert New Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Boston, USA
    It's a pretty good program, but it won't teach you everything. Knowing the basics will just help you learn how to play songs and develop your ears. So it's better to go to a tutor instead of going to music school. Because they'll teach you notes and other useless things there, so it's better to go to a tutor to show you the basics, and then you can learn to play RockSmith. Really I got bored playing it afterwards, no Action. Right now I'm playing Fall Guys Hack Features. It would be interesting if Rocksmith had cheats to it.