RIP Rocco Prestia

Discussion in 'The Squier Bass Place' started by lost sailor, Oct 27, 2020.

1. lost sailor

lost sailor Squier-Meister

Oct 7, 2013
    Wolf 359
    I posted this on the other ST too.

Tower of Power bass player Rocco Prestia passed on Sept 29.
    He was my favorite bass player -- and was a major influence on my
    bass style. I got to meet him a few years ago.

RIP Rocco

2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer ^^ Doing what I do best^^ Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
  3. Shine

Shine Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    No kidding---holy crap, we're losing them faster by the day.

A true innovator.

4. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    He was a true innovator, and one of a kind. Thanks Rocco for all the joy you gave us! I grew up with East Bay Grease. I have a friend who plays keys and Willie Fulton, who was TOP's guitar player in the early days, was his roommate for a while. What is hip? It's bands like them!
    Lydia Pense, of Cold Blood, and Mike Shrieve were from my hometown too.

5. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychopathic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    God had a mixup between Musicians and Politicians, because She has taken way too many Musicians, I'll let her know that she made this terrible mistake, and needs to correct it immediately.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Shine and lost sailor like this.
  6. lost sailor

lost sailor Squier-Meister

Oct 7, 2013
    Wolf 359
    Back in the day I could play all the bass lines on East Bay Grease.
    That was in the 70s - not so much today though. It was not easy but it became my warm up practice album to play along with. Rocco, James Jamerson and Duck Dunn were my bass hero's in that time.

I used to be a pretty good bass player then and might have gone farther, but I gave it up and started playing guitar.....it was quite a drop from being a good bass player to a crappy guitar player. Bass was/is my natural instrument - I worked like a dog to play guitar, never as good
    as my bass playing was.

DougMen, Shine and Angry Possum like this.
  7. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Awesome stuff.... I first got turned on to TOP in 1976.... you got it firsthand in your town....on the east coast we were definitely getting our heads twisted because of the way Rocco and David Garibaldi were just totally locked in and the way that entire band just moved together.

8. Shine

Shine Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    Cold Blood was a regular fixture at a Bay Area "Octoberfest" for years until the organizers canceled it in 2019 due to health concerns about eating sausage. What else are you gonna have with your beer that time of year?!

Then of course, the Virus came along . . .

9. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I should clarify that I'm from Redwood City, on the Peninsula, not Oakland. Lydia went to Sequoia High School in Redwood City, and Mike Shrieve was from Redwood City too, I believe. My friend I spoke of earlier was in a band with Kevin Shrieve, who is Mikes' younger brother, and is a guitar player. They got to go to Carlos house and hang out and jam (I never got invited), and Gregg Rollie bought my friend a Fender Rhodes. And Neal Schon is from San Mateo of course. These guys all used to play local clubs and even high school dances on the Peninsula before they were famous. Gregg grew up on the Peninsula too, and went to high school in Palo Alto, and was in a band called William Penn and his Pals, and I saw them open for the Dave Clark Five at the Circle Star Theatre in San Carlos in '65, which was the first concert I ever saw.
    I think that's the one. I can't be sure, because I saw a lot of shows there in the early to mid 60s.
    https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_Star_Theater