RIP Dusty Hill of ZZ Top ;(

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by fattboyzz, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Squier-Meister

Dec 21, 2020
    UK
    One of the first times I heard ZZ was on an old UK music program before they were really famous called, "The Old Grey Whistle Test" that broke a lot of Artistes here in the UK,

I used to love playing,"Tush" at rock venues. We used it in our Encores in a Original band as a thank you to the audience and was a guaranteed, "Head Banger"<grin> :D and was one of the songs that helped me get better at Slide guitar ;-)

ZZ and the The,"Rev's" Gnarly sound inspired this track I did a few years ago,

https://www.reverbnation.com/pauldouglas/song/5405309-rejected-by-devilblues-funk

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  2. Jes Woodland

Jes Woodland Squier-Meister

Sep 4, 2020
    Nottingham UK
    RIP Dusty Hill... Your Thunder will rumble forever!

Charvel Guy likes this.
  3. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-holic

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    :( RIP Dusty. Legend

Charvel Guy and gary mitchell like this.
  4. Treynor

Treynor Squier-holic Platinum Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
    Sad loss. RIP Dusty Hill.

Charvel Guy and gary mitchell like this.
  5. fluffy391

fluffy391 Squier-Meister

Oct 16, 2020
    Sydney
    RIP. Guess some bass lessons were needed in heaven

Charvel Guy likes this.
  6. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    One more small marker in time.

The passing of an era.

Not, obviously, just Dusty. Nor is that era solely (are even largely) just one of music.

So sad. But so.

-don

Charvel Guy likes this.
  7. dbsummers

dbsummers Squier Talker

Jul 2, 2018
    Texas
    Very surprised to hear the news about Dusty's passing. I saw him a few times mainly back stage at some of the Top's shows and once at Foam Box Studios in Houston. The Sidewalks were rehearsing for our three show reunion gig, and he stopped by to get something or just to see if the rumors were true that we were going to play again. Always a nice guy and wish we could have had the opportunity to talk bass. This picture is from about 1970 or 71. That V bass was mine from the Sidewalks days. It was a custom Gibson EBO that I built to resemble the V guitar. I had the skills but not always access to material and supplies like we have today. When I went into the Army I left the bass with Billy for safe keeping. Billy Etheridge was the next & first ZZ bass player but I don't know if he ever played it. The second ZZ bass player was Cadillac Johnson. He played it, and then Dusty when he and Frank settled into the group. Billy returned the bass to me when I returned from Vietnam. It later ended up with John Entwistle who played it in the movie Tommy, and when John passed it went into a Christie's Auction and was sold. I haven't been able to find out who bought it. There are more stories about it than what the buyer knows! Anyway that would be one of the things I would have talked about with the "Dust" if time had not run out.

Attached Files:

8. Charvel Guy

Charvel Guy Squier-Meister

Jul 11, 2018
    Texas
    I had to pay tribute to Dusty. The man was truly a legend.

9. ancient

ancient Squier Talker

Sep 12, 2020
    New Zealand
    RIP Dusty...we will never forget..

10. rorygman

rorygman Squier-Nut

May 9, 2017
    Britannia
    Truly legendary, I’ve always liked ZZ Top . I bought La Grange as a 7” single when I was working in France in ‘74, as a teenage barman. Heard it on the radio and just had to go and buy it.
    RIP Dusty Hill - thanks for the music “it’s all about the bass”, as they say.
    Cheers
    rorygman :cool:

fattboyzz and Charvel Guy like this.