RIP Don Wilson

miket1117

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2018
Kansas City
Rhythm guitar player and founding member of The Ventures passed away at 88. Loved The Ventures... still do.

AAT2Se3.img

Ralph124C41

Dr. Squier
Feb 10, 2016
Terrible news. I understand he was the last surviving member of the original Ventures. He and Bob Bogle formed the band in 1958.

I grew up in the late '50s and the mid '60s and the Ventures were the instrumental band of the era for me. I remember buying the Play Along with the Ventures series on LPs. (Btw, I still have I think two of the albums.)

This was, of course, before Youtube, instructional DVDs, CDs and cassettes. I remember hearing a passage and then the voice-over guy would cheerfully say, "Now you try it." I was so excited to learn how to play my favorites such as Pipeline and Walk Don't Run and a bunch of other Ventures hits.

BarnyardShark1979

Squier-Nut
Jul 9, 2020
Baltimore Maryland
RIP. Being a little too young to have caught them in their heyday, I'm pretty sure I was turned onto them via Quentin Tarantino movie soundtracks.

Found a half dozen of their records in a 2nd hand store 2 or 3 years ago for like a buck a piece, did some wikipedia reading, never realized that for years they'd just put out an album of instrumental top 40 covers every 2 or 3 months and had a discography of over 60 studio albums and over 200 albums overall.

lost sailor

Squier-Nut
Oct 7, 2013
Wolf 359
RIP.....yeah the Ventures were the best instrumental players...
They made a lot of us want to play guitar. Me, I had to go through drums, bass and then guitar, but then I am usually a day late and a dollar short.