Rick Beato YT Videos: great for understanding song construction/elements

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Michael7, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Michael7

Michael7 Dr. Squier

I just stumbled across this guy's YT videos on deconstructing songs to analyze their elements, and it was really helpful and worthwhile to me. Here is the example I found.

2. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Love Beatos stuff. Also check out his buddy Rhett Shull. Excellent player, and puts out some of the best guitar content on YT.

ElRey67 and VealCutlet like this.
  3. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    How is it that he can isolate each track without having the master multitrack tape? Is there software that can do that now?

dboulders likes this.
  4. jordnot

jordnot Squier Talker

May 1, 2020
    EU
    Yes, that would be intersting to know.

5. dboulders

dboulders Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2019
    New York
    I’d love to know this too!

also Beato is the man! Crazy collection of gear he has too

6. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-holic

I believe he uses ProTools software.

7. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Squier-Nut

Sep 6, 2014
    Va
    That was really interesting, thanks. I will be watching more of his youtubes.

8. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    So, you can play a CD, and ProTools can isolate every track somehow, and mute all the others? I can't imagine how any software could do that. How do you select which track you want to isolate, when there's multiple guitar or vocal tracks?

9. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-holic

Doug,

I don't know. It seems like magic to me. I have heard Rick Beato mention that he uses pro-tools in one of those "What makes this song great" videos he does.

I don't have a home studio, nor do I have software for one. I haven't used Pro-Tools.

I *can* imagine software that can do this, at least some of the time. You could easily isolate left, right, and middle. You can further isolate by frequency bands. You can use a dsp emulator to isolate "like" sounds. Hell, you could probably train an AI to recognize different instruments.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 3:54 PM
  10. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    He’s stated before that sometimes he can’t get a master so I think he has copies of them on the songs he does.

DougMen likes this.