Remember when I thought I might use these pickups.

Discussion in 'Other Squiers' started by gary mitchell, Dec 6, 2019.

1. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    %24_57__42694.1557427789.1024.768.jpg My brother who is an awesome guitarist gave me these pickups. And why do some people dislike them. I am going to keep them in case I do another project guitar.

Attached Files:

Rat cam 68, mb doug, Afrika61 and 2 others like this.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I had a crate full of pups also. Then I forgot what they were. ha ha.

MrYeats, mb doug, Mr Bones and 2 others like this.
  3. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

Have the same in my '05 Epi LP STD. They're OK, I've come to terms with them after adjusting 'em a few times... although am tempted to get a set of humbucker sized P90 type, I have come to the conclusion I might just be more of a single coil guy

4. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I think I have decided to put GFS Surf 90s in my M-80, Like that clean sound I am not much into distortion are overdrive anymore. When you order from GFS do you ever have trouble with shipping and getting them.

MrYeats, mb doug, corn and 1 other person like this.
  5. Michael7

Michael7 Dr. Squier

How are those different from these Epi alnicos? I bought a set of these when I read on TDPRI that Tele pickup guru Don Mare recommended them, but I haven't installed them in a guitar yet.

Epialincos.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  6. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

I picked up a set a while back for kicks, and came across this article not long after the purchase:
    http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/7892/epiphone-57ch-analysis-review
    The point that he seems to make is that it's not so much the pickups themselves but factors outside, like the cheapo shielded cable used, etc, that give these particular pickups their reputation. I got a set of silver-nickel base plates and some quality shielded cable to mod them and I'll likely be installing them in a cheap Epi Spec if I can lay my hands on one,..

gary mitchell, MrYeats and mb doug like this.
  7. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I ordered a set of the gold foil single coils in the HB case from GFS on Saturday the 30th. They came in yesterday, Thursday the 5th. No problem or issue.

I have three sets of the CH57's in use. One set is from a Dot so it's CH57, CH57. It is in my LP100.
    A CH57, HOTCH57 set is in a Strat.
    My recent acquisition was a Epi Goth Studio Les Paul. It is listed as having CH57 & HOTCH57 stock. I have not taken it apart but the guitar is totally stock, virtually untouched, so I have no reason to doubt it is factory pickups.
    I have zero plans to change any of the installed sets.

8. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Those pickups are serviceable. Lots of people who buy Epi's feel that they have to upgrade the pickups immediately. So there's a lot of them on eBay.

9. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

You have them in a Strat?
    I was considering that, how'd they work out in a Strat?

gary mitchell and mb doug like this.
  10. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Nut

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    I have a set that I would happily donate to someone’s partscaster. They are gold and came from my Broadway.

11. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    PM sent. ;)

12. Atlen

Atlen Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    I have a set from my Epi Les Paul Studio Goth that I am thinking of putting in a Squier Stratocaster. Got cheap pickguard and pots from ebay. Just waiting for the switch to arrive so I can put it together...

13. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I have the CH57, HOTCH57 in a Strat. I like them O.K. I would have preferred a CH57, CH57 set Not fond of hot pickups.

14. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I love Epiphone humbuckers. I tried them in a VM Strat once and I didn't like them all that much. But every Epiphone and Tele I have tried them in sounded awesome to me.
    The 57CH and Hotch and the Probuckers are great IMO.

15. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Ahhh Probuckers Yes they are great, really great, as good as any Gibson.

But watch out if you want some, the $30 eBay Chinese Probuckers are not from Epiphone. You can get the real thing at Epiphone.com, they are $150 a set. I was lucky enough to get a set for $30, but from a guy I know who just took them out of his new Epi LP.
    They are Alnico Classic Pros. Difference is they are splittable, 4 wires, and they sound better than the preceding Classics.

16. kjmac

kjmac Squier-holic

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    As I just posted in a recent post, I have a Strat partscaster that has a single GFS Nashville Retro-tron pickup and I just ordered the neck pickup and new wiring/pickguard to go with it. I have made many purchases from GFS but only when they have a sale going and I buy enough sale items to cover the shipping. I think they use shipping and handling as a partial profit center. They do, however, have good product in my estimation. I'm particularly sold on their Deluxe line of wiring harnesses. Good components, good wiring and I like their Quick-Plug system. Makes it easy to switch out different pickups.

I also have a Bullet Strat that I have converted to HH using the GFS dream 180's They are like dual P90s put together in a humbucker configuration so if you want a bold HB sound they are really good and if you occasionally like the P90 tone, just wire in a push/pull switch and split the coils.

17. Atlen

Atlen Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    Mine are HOTHB8B and HB6N not sure what the difference is, but think they are a newer version of the CH57.
    Epiphone calls them Alnico Classic.

gary mitchell and MrYeats like this.
  18. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I have a FSR Bullet Tele with Retrotrons, I bought from a member here. Neck is a Memphis & Bridge is a Liverpool. I really like it. One of the few guitars I like the bridge, most I can't stand.

159_cr.jpg
    I also have a Liverpool bridge in my Epi Junior.

Reassembled Epi LP Jumior wLiverpool Bridge rs.jpg

And the afore mentioned NC6 'Bullet Series' Strat CH57, HOTCH57

1207190825.jpg

19. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    I just put a new set in this Epoch LP. They sound totally Gibby. 4a.JPG 4c.JPG 4d.JPG

jefffam and gary mitchell like this.
  20. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

Hmm, I've been wondering about the HOTCH57. Been asking people casually about theirs and the resistance numbers they give me bounce all over the place: do you recall what the resistance was for yours? Just curious,..