Recording Setup.

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Photobug57, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Photobug57

Photobug57 Squier-Nut

Jan 11, 2018
    Hebron, KY
    Hey folks. Got a question I can't seem to find an answer for. None of my circle of guitar friends have any recording gear.
    Question....I have 2 pair of reference monitors and I want to be able to use both; you know to A-B. 1 pair are 3" ,the other 8".
    Tracking, I use the 8 inch. But I want to use the 3 inch some while mixing.
    Does anyone else do that? What type of switch are you using to do it with.
    Thanks.

dbrian66 likes this.
  2. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    What audio interface are you using?

dbrian66 likes this.
  3. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    Hard to say without more specifics on the gear. Post some pictures of the gear your trying to use. Are the monitors XLR or ?. What device are you using? What outputs does it use?

dbrian66 likes this.
  4. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Have a look at the Mackie "Big Knob Passive". If all of your monitors are powered, it should do what you're asking.

Photobug57 likes this.
  5. Photobug57

Photobug57 Squier-Nut

Jan 11, 2018
    Hebron, KY
    Hey folks, I should have been back on here before now; kinda overwhelmed with taking care of my mom now as well as navigating through all dad's paperwork after his passing.

My primary set up is a Mackie 8-bus, 32 channel mixer in to an Alexis HD-24 recorder. There are a couple different options in monitoring on this board. There is the stereo main outputs, control room outputs and another stereo output that I can't recall its name.

Now I know that I could use both the mains and the control room outs to use 2 sets of studio monitors but I would much rather A-B them from the same source outputs.

Speaker inputs on one set are 3.5 trs plug while on the other set, inputs are XLR. I may just use the 3.5 trs on my iMac for Protocols and the JBL's on the desk and find an 8" set to use on the desk as well.

Peace!

6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Assuming you can use RCA out from your mixer which you should be able to....and both pairs of monitors are POWERED, you can use this box...or are you talking about using a separate amplifier and want to A/B two sets of unpowered monitors

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0892JHJ8B/

Photobug57 likes this.
  7. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Yes, I'd do that, too. I don't know about your particular mixer, but on my two Mackies, the main XLR outputs are 6dB hotter than the TRS outputs.

And may God bless you and your mother.

Photobug57 likes this.