Recommendations for an amp stand

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by RegularJim, Sep 23, 2020.

1. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    Hi folks. I need a little help.

I'm looking for a decent, budget-friendly amp stand. I need it to be able to hold small or large amps. I don't need professional-grade but would like something that won't fall apart when I set a Mustang IV or a Bandit on it. Also, I need it to not let smaller amps (AC4, DSL1) fall through it. Also would like it to have a tilt to it, and height adjustable.

Thanks in advance for your help!

mb doug likes this.
  2. Led Pants

Led Pants Squier Talker

Jan 4, 2013
    Iowa
    Are you a wood-worker? Maybe a friend who is? Design your own for your needs! I’m currently looking a ideas for my own amp stand too btw.

mb doug and Big tuna like this.
  3. guitalias

guitalias Squier-Meister

Apr 21, 2020
    Australia
    Prototype with slotted angle like is used for office shelving. Or keep it that way for an industrial look. I'm thinking of something similar myself to angle my amp if I'm sitting or standing.

mb doug and Big tuna like this.
  4. Big tuna

Big tuna Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I use a high tech style 2 old library books on one and a piece of a 2x4 with a longer piece 1x4 glued together.

gary mitchell, Treehouse and mb doug like this.
  5. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    I currently use a couple of 2x4 blocks painted flat black and stuck under the two front feet. Inconspicuous enough and interchangeable with other amps, but doesn't get the amp up off the ground. I am quite particular about how it looks (character flaw?), even though I know odd-sized stacks of wood and furniture would get the job done.

I've seen them on Amazon, MF, Sweetwater, etc, but they all come with mixed reviews, such as not fitting certain amps, or being wobbly. So I was hoping someone on the forum would have some experience with one of these, as I trust this forum more than I do product reviews on the internet.

Big tuna likes this.
  6. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Big tuna likes this.
  7. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I use a Musician's Gear stand. The pictures show it holding a Marshall JCM 2000.

Caveat emptor: I've never put anything more than a 20W amp on it and it stays in the basement. It seems sturdy, though. If your smaller amps are too narrow, you can put a board across the arms.

upload_2020-9-24_10-29-38.png

Big tuna and RegularJim like this.
  8. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    How much are the late fees?

Big tuna and Treehouse like this.
  9. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    That's one I was looking at, but I'm afraid the arms on the back are too short for the Mustang IV, which has a lot of open space in the back. When it's leaned back, it looks like the amp will keep on leaning and the arms on the back will break a speaker or something.

10. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Like davis said, simply attach a transversal plank to the upright pieces.

11. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    I suppose that would work, as long as I make it a little wider than the amp, but making the arms longer would be ideal.

12. Tepid Pilot

Tepid Pilot Squier Talker

I have the same stand, got it from Carvin. Many brand names appear on that stand. It is so stout it could hold a Twin Reverb or a case of Anvils with ease. The way it's made the angle is locked in, I really would have preferred it to be adjustable. However, the height is somewhat adjustable.

TP

Davis Sharp and Big tuna like this.
  13. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    DONE THAT

Big tuna likes this.
  14. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    I have one of these
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Musicians-Gear/Deluxe-Amp-Stand.gc

and one of these:
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acc...amp200-frameworks-collapsible-combo-amp-stand

The Gator is the more versatile, because of the bar at the back, luckily I don’t have any amps that are wider than that bar that I use on it.

The MG one is great for everything except my Mustang III, I have to place it just right so the uprights don’t slip into the cab (and why I got the Gator). I got both used.

Big tuna likes this.
  15. Michael7

Michael7 Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

RJ,

Here's a concept I've been thinking about trying to do in a plywood stand that could be dismantled into 5-6 pieces for storage. The idea is to capture the rear sound and get it to also project forward.

https://www.soundenhancer.com/products.html

The graphics about half way down the page show quickly what this theory is about.

M7

16. metalmerchant

metalmerchant Squier-Meister

Mar 25, 2011
    cornwall UK
    Just ordered this bad boy from Bax Music for the princely sum of £21.70. for my Fender Champion 100. Rugged, adjustable tilt and foldable... Does the job. Also you get several package deals. Mine was a guitar stand for a mere £5 extra. Screenshot_20200926-102803.png