Rechargeable batteries vs. regular alkaline?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Ralph124C41, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Just wondering ...
    I have a Zoom G1ON and a Blackstar Fly. Together they require 10 AA batteries. The G1ON I can power also through my computer's USB connector, but it seems a little weak on some settings, or a regular adapter. The Fly only through batteries as I don't want to pay extra for that propietary adapter.

I've been trying to use my rechargable batteries but I seem to have a problem with either the batteries being old or the chargers being finicky. I do have an old Everready charger that seems to work but takes a looooong time to charge a battery. I also have a Rayovac charger, but it has no indicator to tell me when the batteries are fully charged. It just lights up blue and then shuts off after 12 hours.

I even have an old Renewal charger ... but I think it is only for my Renewal batteries which are old. Very, very old.

So I wonder what you folks do? Of course rechargeable batteries at best are generally at 1.2 volts while the standard AA alkaline is supposed to offer 1.5 volts, but I've found that it's a lot less. And I wonder how my G1ON and Fly really work their best with rechargeables.

Anyway, what do you folks use? I'm thinking either of getting a new charger and battery combo or just a big bunch of alkalines and be done with it.

2. drewcp

drewcp Dr. Squier

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I try to avoid batteries whenever possible, and only use rechargeable (eneloop) in things that have to have batteries, unless it's a proprietary rechargeable battery, like a phone, computer, or similar product.

I keep alkaline as a backup, but if something has a power adapter, not USB, I will use that.

Not all USB powered connections are the same power though, so it may just be that the computer isn't really sending enough to the unit.

dbrian66 likes this.
  3. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I use rechargeable since my Fly 3, my Roland Micro Cube and my Yamaha THR5A. Work great and is sure better than having to keep buying alkalines.
    I also have the AC adapters forr all three so only use them on batteries when outside, etc. My AC adapter came with the Fly since I bought the combo with the Fly, extension speaker and adapter. It was about the same price as buying just the single speaker and adapter, so an easy choice.

My charger and batteries are all Duracell and work great and charge fairly quickly and show they are charged when the lights turn from red to green.

Bob the builder, drewcp and dbrian66 like this.
  4. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    As for the computer I do have a powered USB hub I could try. But as for not using batteries I would like to use something for portability, you know get out on the porch and enjoy life now that the snow is finally somewhat finished in my area .

Yes if I do go for a new rechargeable setup I think I will go the Duracell route.

drewcp and dbrian66 like this.
  5. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I try not to use batteries at all. But if I have to, I just use alkaline ones. I used to try and use rechargeable ones, but like you said, it’s hard to keep track of which ones are charged and which chargers still work.

I just looked at the fly, and it says it takes a 6.5 volt center positive adapter. But it takes six AA batteries. The batteries are putting out 9 volts. I bet with a little research you will find that a 9 volt center positive adapter will work just fine. The 6.5 v is an oddball and hard to find, so you think you have to buy theirs. But 9 v ones are easier to find and cheaper. Just make sure if you buy something that the polarity is correct. Most guitar related adapters are center negative.

drewcp likes this.
  6. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016

Yes I've read that. But I really like using the Fly "untethered" as it were so I wouldn't use an adapter a lot even if I had one. Probably. Maybe. Perhaps.

But I agree with you agreeing with me about sorting out the rechargeable batteries. Right now I have three chargers working, even the one with the ancient Renewal battery but only one battery. So I have nine AA batteries charging in three adapters, two brands and with diffeent maH amounts, too,

It's madness I tell ya. Madness.

Hal Nico and dbrian66 like this.
  7. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Squier-Meister

Dec 21, 2020
    UK
    dbrian66 likes this.
  8. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Hal Nico, thanks.

I wish it wasn't from China. The last two times I ordered some parts from companies in China they took an extremely long time to get to me, months even.

dbrian66 likes this.
  9. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

I would not try a 9 volt supply as it might be damaging.
    I run it on a 6 volt power supply (meant for an old FireTV unit) and it works fine.

dbrian66 likes this.
  10. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Squier-Meister

Dec 21, 2020
    UK
    I've been lucky with Aliexpress. Usually less than 3 weeks. Even the Fleor Humbucker I recently fitted to my Wesley Strat only took 3 weeks.

https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/fleor-alnico-v-humbucker-hss-strat-resistor-modification.560401/

Just got a pair of LED Stop Tail lights for my pal's Motorcycle from them and they took just over two weeks :)

dbrian66 likes this.
  11. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Interesting. here I was thinking that six rechargeables would give out a max of 7.2 volts and so would be under what is needed but you say the Fly actually uses only 6 volts. So what happens to the rest? If you put in six regular batteries you may have 9 volts so does the Fly just use 6 volts of that?

I do wonder because I remember the last time I put in six regular alkaline batteries and they seemed to last a long, long time.

dbrian66 likes this.
  12. SubSailer671

I haven't torn it apart to look at the circuit, but in general these things have a regulator circuit. I believe it is spec'd to operate at 6 volts +/- a .5V or so (that would be common). The regulator will convert a higher voltage to a lower one. As the batteries deplete, the voltage on them will lower and at some point will not have enough juice to power the regulator and the amp will shut off.

drewcp likes this.
  13. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016

I'm trying to remember but I remember I ordered two items recently off AliExpress, one got to me within three weeks to a month, the other took so long I had to put in a claim and had to wait until the delivery window of nearly three months had closed. Actually I got the item but AliExpress gave me a refund any way. I emailed back and offered to have the seller put it back on my credit card but nobody did anything about it.

And another item I ordered either off AliExpress or eBay (but I think the former) also took a long time. However, to be truthful, in at least one case the item got to U.S. Customs quickly but then stayed in limbo for more than a month.

I will give it a try probably. There's no rush really.

14. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Squier-Meister

Dec 21, 2020
    UK
    I hear what you are saying. It's strange that here in the UK I've had stuff held up by our customs when I bought from the USA and charged but have never had anything delayed or charged from China. Go figure, as they say :/

15. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    And I understand the point of the two sellers. "Hey, we got it to your country. Go talk to somebody in U.S. Customs." So my point is not to throw stones at AliExpress or the sellers but on just ordering from China to the U.S.A., maybe because of the pandemic or something else.

I will test it out by ordering that charger to see what's up.

16. SubSailer671

Amazon has about a half-dozen replacement power supplies for the Fly3, all of them under $20.

17. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Squier-Meister

Dec 21, 2020
    UK
    At the price it's going for it's worth a punt as it's pretty much, "Pocket-Lint" price IMHO :)

My main problem with Aliexpress it's bit like a Tool catalogue for blokes e.g I can spend hours looking at stuff I'll never buy<grin> :D

18. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    thanks, but as I said I'm not looking for a power supply for my Fly as I bought it mainly to use "on the fly" as it were, so I'm just looking for the best batteries for it, whether rechargeable or not. I think that's the charm of the Fly. If I wanted to use it plugged in , I could. But I have other amps for that which sound a lot louder and nicer.

19. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Actually that AliExpress unit does NOT contain any batteries. It's just the charger so forget that. Thanks anyway.

20. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Squier-Meister

Dec 21, 2020
    UK

Awe come on. You can't expect the batteries as well @ under 10 beer tokens<grin> :D