Reading vs. Playing

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Eddie, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!! Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I haven't had much for both lately. Playing has taken a backseat to reading for the moment.

Been caught up in the Richard Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. 21 novels in all. I just finished #16. But I realized I had somehow skipped #12. So I have to backtrack and read #12 right now.

Hard to put down, but easy reads. I have books #17 - 21 on order. Should be here soon.

Hoping I'll finish the series by the start of summer. I enjoyed a lot of playing time last summer, but it disappeared once school started.

2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Take your time. The more your read books, the less you will read CL and FBM, and the closer you will get to the promised land.

upload_2021-4-6_16-15-14.png

Taurus, Hugh, VealCutlet and 16 others like this.
  3. shingh2002

shingh2002 Squier-Meister

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    Loved the Sharpe series! Very easy reading, fun man-venture tales. The TV adaptation from the 80s w/ Sean Bean is good too! Have you read his other series - The Warlord Chronicles set during King Arthur, the Last Kingdom in the Middle Ages, and the Starbuck chronicles set during the American Civil War? I always enjoy his work.

Not actively reading anything at the moment, but between the kids and work, guitar is firmly in my mind since my renaissance began over the two years.

4. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

I definitely make time for both. Primarily playing during the day and then reading from about 9pm till ...

5. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I've been an avid fan of Bernard Cornwell for ages. I have the last two Last Kingdom books #12 and #13 sitting on my desk ready to go. I think I'm going to read the Fort after I finish the Sharpe series. Then I'll finish the Last Kingdom series.

I loved the Starbuck series. Then the loose collection of Agincout and Archer series. I'm losing track of what is what. Thomas Hookton vs Thomas Hook ???

I had trouble starting the Warlord Chronicles. I may try again. I was quite "different" and I had trouble getting past the first few chapters as he described Merlin's world.

I think I have enough Cornwell reading to get me to the summer. Then I want to play guitar as much as I can during my free time. :)

Uncle Joe, Hadronic Spin and MrYeats like this.
  6. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier Platinum Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
  7. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-holic ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
  8. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    I'm still having a problem playing with my thumb so playing is out of the question for awhile.
    Reading I enjoy but I read more instructional stuff that helps me understand the science behind the hobbies and things I'm into.
    I'm the type of person that wants to know the engineering and how things work.

VealCutlet, Eddie, Uncle Joe and 3 others like this.
  9. shingh2002

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    The Warlord Chronicles were my entry into his writing and I found them similarly harder to read than Sharpe et al, I think his writing was a bit less focused - but I loved Tales of King Arthur and Merlin as a child so persevere. The Winter King is a slower build than with the following two books
    Were they his first writings perhaps? I don’t recall. I think you’ve read his best work though so there’s not much lost by not reading them. Maybe unless you feel the need to complete his work!

haha I confuse some of the characters and storylines too - some of it is a bit formulaic (e.g. as soon as an attractive woman is described), but I’ve always engaged with the historical events and found his retelling of famous battles to be quite exciting.

Eddie, Uncle Joe and MrYeats like this.
  10. Count

Count Squier-Meister

Dec 28, 2009
    Australia
    There’s another Sharpe novel coming out end of this year, got my preorder in the other day. Currently rereading the Quest series. Haven’t come across a Cornwell book that is no good. If you prop up the book on a music stand you can play and read at the same time, just do a hammer on with your fretting hand while you turn the page with your other hand. Works for me.

MrYeats, Eddie and Uncle Joe like this.
  11. White Dog

White Dog Squier Talker

Oct 19, 2011
    Iowa
    I have a full time "essential" job that not only did NOT get affected negatively by Covid19; quite contrary, I am working bunches and bunches of over-time. I barely have time for anything else...so I choose playing guitar if/when I can.

VealCutlet, Eddie and Uncle Joe like this.
  12. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I'm working from home so I try to read between emails and phone calls. It actually keeps me sharp, I believe.

Playing three songs, over and over, each in Double Drop D; Doobies' Black Water, Allman's Midnight Rider, and Ronnie Lane's April Fool.

Reading three books too: Dostoevsky's The Idiot, Solzhenitsyn's third volume of The Gulag Archipelago, and Douglas Murray's Madness of Crowds.

Plus old man soccer. I'm limping around since our scrimmage on Sunday. 2-1 win vs. our normal sparring partners from just outside of the city. The guy I brought in, who just turned fifty, scored both goals.

Taurus, VealCutlet and Eddie like this.
  13. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I'm always reading a book. I do play an hour everyday though.

Eddie and Uncle Joe like this.
  14. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I really need to organize my time better. But the problem is once I sit down with the Sharpe book at 8pm, I'm not getting up until it's bed time at 10pm. :(

Awesome. Something to look forward to. Is it going to be another pre-quel? Considering Napoleon has been defeated ... I wonder where his next war is going to take place. Time travel? Sharpe takes down Adolf. :)

Taurus likes this.
  15. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Here's what I didn't like about the Sharpe tv series.

Sharpe.JPG

VealCutlet likes this.
  16. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    I just finished reading my first book in years. It was on my new year’s resolution list, along with run a 5k, and I can now check both off my list. I ought to read more, but I find it such a chore. Guess I haven’t found a good novel in a while, as I devoured the Harry Potter series and such when I was a kid.

Eddie likes this.
  17. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I remember sitting down the last Harry Potter book on a Friday evening and was done by Saturday night. I don't think I left the couch. ha ha

Taurus likes this.
  18. shingh2002

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    Haha there wasn’t the Netflix budget, that’s for sure! Though Game of Thrones still leave Starbucks cups in their episodes so maybe it’s not a money thing.

RoyalWe and VealCutlet like this.
  19. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I'm like that with the Jack Reacher series from Lee Childs. A colleague, years ago, told me to "lighten up" my reading and just enjoy it. "It shouldn't be work." He gave me an early Reacher. Love it. I've read them all. Well over twenty installments now. He's a retired Army MP Major who walks the Earth like Caine from the Kung Fu TV show, solving all injustice, carrying only a toothbrush. If you wanted to you could read an entire Lee Childs novel without leaving the toilet seat.

That may leave a mark.

Taurus and shingh2002 like this.