Rating Guitars Under $200

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Uncle Joe, Jul 10, 2020.

1. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The only guitar I currently have that I got for less than about $300 is my Japanese made Fernandes LE2 from 2003, which I got for $200 used from the store I used to work at. But, even those are going for at least $400 now, and the even more desirable ones from the 90s are even more, in the $600-800 range. There's a guy on Reverb that has 3 of them and he wants over $700 for all of them. I see them on Ebay and Reverb very infrequently, 'cause, like the Japanese Fenders from the same era, most of the guys that have them aren't letting them go.
    I'm sitting here patiently waiting for my Surf Green Bullet Tele from UPS to arrive. I don't expect it until around 7pm, because I'm always one of his last stops of the day. DSCN0621.JPG Squier-FSR-Bullet-Telecaster-Surf-Green.jpg

2. jcmathews

jcmathews Squier Talker

Sep 15, 2019
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Bought for $100, sold for $190 after a few simple mods...it started life as an SX Furrian...absolutely FABULOUS playing neck on this one, and rock solid tuning. Played it at rehearsal with my band last week, and it was still spot on tuned when I sold it yesterday. Also, it was my first experience with SX -- so far, I'm a believer.
    image (70).jpg

3. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Then why did you sell it?

4. Shine

Shine Squier-Nut

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    Lots of cool guitars here! Maybe narrow the range--Rating Guitars Under $100? :D

Actually, mine probably fall in between somewhere.

5. jcmathews

jcmathews Squier Talker

Sep 15, 2019
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Thought long about keeping it, but the rack is full. Modding and reselling is my retirement hobby, and I have to be VERY disciplined to keep only my stage guitars (also my builds) and NOT hang onto all the others thst turn out great. That said, this one played as good as my Modern Player Tele (which I recently sold) and better than my MIM Strat (which I also recently sold). And the P90 gave it some real character. But it had to go...sigh. It was one of the really good ones. I’ll be watching for SXs from now on.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Eddd and Stratlover84 like this.
  6. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Then can you do me a favor and buy the Sonic Blue Furrian with the Strat vibrato, and then sell it to me with reasonable shipping, 'cause they would only sell it to me with a hardshell case, even though it comes with a gigbag, and with the hardcase, the shipping to Hawaii was $190, for a total of $420 on a $160 guitar, lol. I'm just kidding about getting it for me, but I don't like being treated like I'm in a third world country by so many sellers. At least Amazon is now an actual Fender dealer, so I can get some stuff from them with free shipping. Otherwise I look on Ebay for what I want with free shipping. But, even then, when they find out I'm in Hawaii, they want to charge me for shipping. At least MF only charges me $32 for two day air through UPS for a guitar. I can live with that.

7. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    My Bullet Tele just arrived. It's setup very well. There's one little spot on the back of the neck that feels rough, and there's some areas where I can feel the edge of the skunk stripe, because they didn't sand it quite enough, but those things don't bother me at all. And there's one little spot on the side where there's a little black streak over the green paint but under the clear coat. It's so small and in an innocuous place, so that doesn't bother me either. The pickups are darker than any of my Strats, but I like that on the bridge pickup, 'cause it's the first Tele I've ever had, besides my HH one, where that pickup wasn't too ice-pickey. If I turn the treble on the amp up a little, then the neck pickup sounds great too. I may replace the pickups at a later date, but I'll keep it stock for now. Much nicer than the affinity Teles I've encountered in the shops, so I'm quite happy. DSCN1107.JPG
    The Surf Green is a lot lighter than I've seen on any other Fender or Squier.

8. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Update- MF has put it on sale now for $129, so I've asked for a $50 refund, and the middle position only gets the neck pickup. So, I guess I have to buy a new switch. And, I've already ordered the Fender Yosemite Tele pickups for it, for $75 on Ebay with free shipping, 'cause after another day, I've realized that the stock pickups suck. But, it should sound great with these in it.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    drewcp likes this.
  9. nomadh

nomadh Squier-Nut

Jun 11, 2010
    SD CA
    Ha! I bought my bsb affinity tele with a coffin case. It's fun to show up at a jam with a coffin. Everyone expects a pointy bc Rich with a floyd. I pull out the old school blond. As a topper it came with a " dont cross police line" strap. Also a top pick for great $200 guitar.

Taurus and Uncle Joe like this.
  10. nomadh

nomadh Squier-Nut

Jun 11, 2010
    SD CA
    A lot of SX guitars popping up here for a squier site :) I'll have to post my 3 or 4

11. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    You can ask but MF, like any other company, does not have to match its own sale price but you may get lucky. Otherwise if you can find the guitar elsewhere for that price, MF should honor the lower price. I can't find any other dealer with that price; GC even had it for $119.99, the surf green.

You may be able to get an adjustment because of that faulty switch but I'm guessing MF will just tell you to send it back and once they get your guitar they will send you a new one ... if they are still in stock. I did that return procedure with a defective pedal and I got the same discounted price I got before.

As for that price match, a few years back when VM Jags were $299.99 I ordered and received one for 15 percent off at WWBW. Then I went to MF and found the price for the same surf green model had dropped, for some reason, down to $199.99. So I contacted WWBW and a rep adjusted my cost to match that. So I got a brand new VM Jag for under $200.

12. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm not gonna pay to ship it all the way back to Kansas City from Hawaii. That'll cost me more than the $50 and cost of a new switch.

Taurus likes this.
  13. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    It's a defect. You shouldn't have to pay to ship it back. Buyer's remorse, yes; bad switch, no. I didn't have to pay to return my defective pedal.

14. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Here’s my SX tele:

8A4D1A0D-D76A-4CF0-B3A9-A813C90A92B5.jpeg

15. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I'll just keep it. I already ordered a new import switch on Ebay for $6, with free shipping from California.

16. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    That bass is not the GSR 200 (which I have in that same finish). It is the cheaper GSR 180.

17. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    OK. Still let us know if MF agrees to reimburse you somehow.

DougMen likes this.
  18. Dinomikesr

Dinomikesr Squier-Meister

Nov 25, 2019
    South-East
    [​IMG]

19. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

I only have one sub $200 guitar, a few years old HSS Bullet Strat that my son gave me for Father’s Day a few years back. Needed very little to get set up (sharp fret ends, high string action), only real thing I’ve done to it was wire a jumper so the neck tone pot works for the bridge pickup as well. It’s an amazingly nicely built guitar, tons of fun to play, and am perfectly content with the stock pickups. I believe that I play this more often than any of my others...and technically, it was gifted new, so, it cost me $0....definitely a good value, great player, feels “just right,” and sounds fine through my rig, what more can one ask at that price point?

Taurus likes this.