Questions about GM pickups

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by VM51SQ, Jul 10, 2020.

1. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    We're living in the golden age of guitar, where we can get great guitars, amps, and even pickups at very reasonable prices. I'm sure that Fender, Gibson, Duncan, Dimarzio, Fralin, Kinman, Lollar, and the other higher end pickup makers aren't thrilled about the great sounding and low price competition popping up everywhere.

radiotech and dbrian66 like this.
  2. jcmathews

jcmathews Squier Talker

Sep 15, 2019
    Gig Harbor, WA
    I've been using GM single coils in my mods and they sound great. Had a really good experience with their Alnico IIs on an SE mode recently. The humbuckers seem just a shade noisy, but produce nice tones. I have a GM A5 humbucker neck pickup and an SD JB bridge in a Tele build I did recently, and I noticed that the GM doesn't drive my emulation pedals in the same way the Duncan does. Not sure how to translate that effect into cause, but generally speaking I am VERY satisfied with them, especially at that price.

Unfortunate that Dragonfire almost doubled their prices recently -- I was using their pickups in everything until then.

Eddie and dbrian66 like this.
  3. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    Aren't they Chicom-made? CCP labor is like 87 cents a day. You also save money on things like lack of healthcare, lack of liability insurance, lack of safety training, lack of environmental controls, etc.

Don't get me wrong, my house is littered with various Chinese-made goods, I'm just saying that I'm not surprised questionably-made goods made by slave labor are cheaper than hopefully better-made goods made by Americans with HOA fees and dental plans.

4. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    dbrian66 likes this.
  5. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    So, is GM just an importer, are does he design the PUs and has them made in china?

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    Thanks for clearing that up for me! I'm easily confused :D

dbrian66 likes this.
  7. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I don’t know for certain, but I have always assumed he just writes the specs of what he wants and has a factory in China make them for him. Like Firefly guitars, or Squier for that matter. Really not much difference.

Eddie and DougMen like this.
  8. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I don't think that he's necessarily a pickup designer like Bill Lawrence or Tim Shaw, in the strictest sense of the term. I think he tells his supplier- "I want these specs with these magnets and these parameters, etc.", and they build it to his specifications. That's just my assumption. I could be wrong. Maybe our own Ken Rose could shine some light on how it's done.

dbrian66 likes this.
  9. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    The tone pot on that one is completely dead. I bought a pre-wired control plate, and the tone pot has never worked since new. For $13, you get what you pay for I suppose.

dbrian66 and MrYeats like this.
  10. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier-Meister

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    I asked Joey one time what would be his most aggressive bridge humbucker. He said he was going to have a new batch inspired by Gibson's Dirty Fingers. He didn't have a name yet and I suggested "Dirty Digits". I installed it on my bridge and his GM P94 neck on my cheap Epiphone Spec II. They made it sound like a thousand dollar guitar!

Here was my song demo:

I also tried his GM Railbucker on my project guitar, "Gemini" (plays guitar and bass at the same time), and I was really pleased with it!

Joey is also very helpful. Just ask him what you need, like what tone you're after, or an equivalent pickup of the popular brands, and he will give you an honest answer.

Definitely 5 stars!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Loin Lover, Eddie, DougMen and 2 others like this.
  11. mgdesigns

mgdesigns New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    franklin, tn
    I have good things to say about the GM '57 HB's. I used them as a cheap alternative for a DIY LP Build (Scrap Paul), and they are wonderful. I've ordered two more sets for the next couple of builds. And I've got the mini-hb, strat middle, and tele bridge for my TeleBaum build in process. I am sure that they will sound great.

A co-worker loves them for his single coil machines, and has bought probably 10 sets for his guitars. He is more discriminating in his taste for his sounds, so I am sure they'll do everyone fine.

dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  12. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

From what he says in descriptions, he specs some of the pickups and buys them in sufficient quantity that he gets them. The majority of the GM-branded pickups match Donlis specs, however. That applies to the Strat and Tele single coils and the '57 and '59 humbuckers. The supply chain for those *appears* to be manufacture in Korea (per GM), possibly Donlis as the wholesaler, then GM.

13. Maplelover

Maplelover Squier Talker

Nov 28, 2014
    Akron,Oh
    Price some times, doesn't reflect quality.. in the long term though...will they retain the sound .
    And EVERY ear hears differently. If you're happy with them, smile every note ya play.
    Play on, the road is long.....enjoy that ride

14. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    He sells some Artec pickups on his site too. I suspect that they're the manufacturer of GM pickups. I've seen not just Donlis, but also Musiclily, and the house brand alnico Strat pickups at the Stratosphere with nearly identical specs to his 62z.

15. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I ordered the last set of the S-90's with white covers yesterday. I am going to try them in the Squier Series, instead of the factory ceramics.
    I have two that need pickups, so if they don't suit, I will try them in another guitar. I am hoping they are a large upgrade from the factory SE pickups.

Ace38 likes this.
  16. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    I have only got one set from them. And it was to replace a set of DD humbuckers that where way to hot on a Jazz Box. The selection was great and I got a set of 53 alnico II under wound that did what I wanted for the sound and balance.

17. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    I love my S90's.

Ahnlaashock likes this.
  18. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Opened my email.
    A receipt for the transaction.
    A notice that they have shipped, a notice about tracking them, and then later, your order has been cancelled due to out of stock or damaged merchandise. Then three more about me getting a refund.
    How do you cancel an order a day after it ships?

Viking and Loin Lover like this.
  19. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    This is my favorite GM pickup:

1p.jpg

Oldguitarguy, Viking and Ahnlaashock like this.
  20. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Based on my transactions with the guy, he's got a lot of automation involved. I'll place my order and get feedback on ebay only a few minutes later. I'd bet he's automated his shipping info as well, so the tracking number is generated prior to a box actually being packed, and then he discovers the pickups were already sold out.

jefffam and MrYeats like this.