PSA: Idyllwild Quilted Ash top A/E; $149

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by radiotech, May 24, 2021.

1. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Stumbled upon this video. Glossy looking and bright sounding, which is not something that I'm usually looking for but I'm cool with it. Loud too, according to the reviewer. I am looking for that. Should be fun. This gentleman paid a whopping $200 for his and he seems pleased...

radiotech likes this.
  2. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Wow. Thanks for the heads-up on this one @radiotech

This is a nice guitar. I shouldn't be surprised. I'm used to inexpensive guitars continuing to improve in quality but now it's getting ridiculous. I noticed the most recent exponential upward movement of the curve when I received my 2019 Squire Red Sparkle Bullet Telecaster a couple of years ago. Nice guitar. Since then I've purchased a $79 no-name S-type and two Firefly guitars (an LP and a semi-hollow). All fine guitars. Each needed various degrees of tweaking and TLC but they are all players now.

This guitar was fine right out of the box. Crazy. It shipped across the country and, save one string being slightly out of tune, I could've played it right out of the nice (a bit thin and soft, but functional) storage case.

Most importantly it sounds good. It plays well. It even intonates perfectly. The fret work is professionally crafted. I am taken aback. It doesn't have that Martin projected warmth sans booming, but it is loud and clear. It sounds better than my Epiphone Hummingbird Pro, that's for sure. The EPI is going out with my next purge, so long as this guitar stays in shape over the next change of weather around here.

Looks nice, right? I like the iridescent rosette too. Pretty cool.

Is everyone sure that the top is laminate? Fools me.

The one oddity is that there was a strong smell of acrylic from within the sound hole. Think Elmer's glue. Odd. Almost like the adhesive is not yet fully cured. Yikes. Hopefully a bit of osmosis rids the trace odor. The one blemish I notice is a bleed on the black binding, depicted in the lasts image of this post. Minor. It is a really nice guitar. For $149.00 it's just stupid.

I'm going to record some snips but the guy in the video above pretty much nails it. Really happy with this...

Idyllwild front (2).jpg

Idyllwild back (2).jpg

Idyllwild rosette (2).jpg

Idyllwild fretwork (2).jpg

Binding bleed (2).jpg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    Best1989, radiotech, drewcp and 2 others like this.
  3. 4406Pack

4406Pack Squier-Meister

Jan 12, 2021
    Looks beautiful!

Uncle Joe likes this.
  4. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    That’s a beaut UJ, nice tight rosewood for the fretboard too, not like the “engineered” rosewood mine has:
    upload_2021-6-2_13-4-37.jpeg
    Conga-rats! I’m interested in what transpires for the next couple weather changes myself.

Mine has that typical woody smell most acoustics have (but very fresh). I did notice a little chemical smell from the inside the gig bag.

It’s funny that all the models have at least one thing “missing” for traditionalists, it’s a shame so many will pass on these guitars because of it (of course the same is true of the Martin X series).

drewcp and Uncle Joe like this.
  5. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    This is an ideal beginner guitar. For what I want it's perfect too. I can't wait to have everyone over here for the 4th of July weekend. Hopefully it doesn't rain and we can play this baby outside on the deck and around the fire ring for a few days. There's at least five of us who can play and sing something that everyone will put up with. Plus I don't care if the kids take it for a minute and give it a go. When I first thought of this I figured I'd just give it to whoever really liked it and could use an acoustic. Now I'm not so sure. I may want to keep this.

-r3- and radiotech like this.
  6. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Here's two minutes of your life you won't get back...

Angry Possum and radiotech like this.
  7. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    The Epiphone Masterbilt DR400 and DR500 stack up to the Taylors and Martins. I own one and it really is that good. You can get em used for $375 or so. A No brainer and a real kick ass acoustic.

Uncle Joe likes this.
  8. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Lmao

Uncle Joe likes this.
  9. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I've played both and I own a 2008 Masterbilt AJ500MNS. IMO they're OK ... but certainly not in the league of a good Taylor or Martin ... or even as good as my older Masterbilt.

Again that's your opinion and I have mine. But when I state something about a guitar, good or bad, I always try to say "in my opinion" and not to make a blanket statement.

10. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    So I'm learning Wichita Lineman, because of this guitar. I can't explain why. But the chords, to play it ideally, are not what you would normally grab. Great song. Fun. Right in my range for singing.

Anyway, I shared my effort via video and two of my daughters are all over this guitar. They are sending back videos of their prowess. Now I have to decide who to give it to and the damned guitar is up to $249 now if I want another one.

Damn you guys!

radiotech likes this.