PSA: Idyllwild Quilted Ash top A/E; $149

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by radiotech, May 24, 2021.

1. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Marked down from $199 last week:
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=610830

upload_2021-5-24_9-50-25.jpeg

I’ve got the Spruce top cutaway version of this guitar, and can tell you this is absolutely worth it. Mine sounds almost just like my Seagull, and plays just as well (out of the box).

2. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I'm in. Couldn't resist. I was born near Idlewild Airport before it was renamed JFK. Nice looker, great price. Quality? I'm all in to find out. Your recommendation was enough to get me to pull the trigger.

Thank you for sharing that link. I needed some joy today.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  3. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Glad to be of service!
    upload_2021-5-24_14-44-58.gif

4. techowiz

techowiz Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    How do you rate this verus the Spruce top cut-away that was on sale a week ago?

Kenneth Mountain and mb doug like this.
  5. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I hit the arrow but it wont show no more pics :mad::mad:

noidea.gif

6. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Follow the blue link in the original post.

Kenneth Mountain and fattboyzz like this.
  7. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    can’t really rate it per-say, but it’s the same preamp. It’s an actual Rosewood fretboard & Bridge versus The manufactured stuff on the cutaway, and regular dot markers... so I like that it’s simpler, The top seems a bit too fancy for me.

some of the guys on the Facebook group say that the ash top is a bit darker and has a richer bass tone.

not looking for another full dreadnought, so i’m gonna pass, but based on the cutaway, I can say that it probably won’t suck. :)

A cutaway Dreadnaught was exactly what I was looking for (as well as a new auditorium OOO, that’s why I ordered the Martin).
    I’m done with acoustics for the foreseeable future.

Kenneth Mountain, techowiz and drewcp like this.
  8. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    You can't buy a Fishman pickup for $150 in my country, let alone the guitar!

9. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    That's funny because my favorite guitar is the Martin 000 and I was looking for a Dreadnaught to bang around for the summer when folks are around. The Martin sounds great but doesn't project when we have a bunch of folks outside on the deck. At this price, if somebody really loves it, I can just hand it to them. It's at that sweet spot. We'll see. I'm excited about it.

Martin & Me 2020.jpg

Kenneth Mountain and radiotech like this.
  10. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    I’m getting the OOO for amplified performance, a bit more comfortable standing than my DX1AE dreadnaught.... (I should probably just loose some more weight).

11. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Not to be that guy, but I'd like to point out that this is an all-laminate guitar. I don't know if that would affect the plugged-in sound but IMO generally speaking it will not sound as full and rich played acoustically as a guitar with a solid top.

I've owned all laminates, all solids and those with a solid top and laminated back and sides and I can hear the difference between all three types.

12. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Acoustically some MAY notice a difference, and maybe even mic’d, but Piezo’s are not so sensitive as the ear, or a mic. Even terrible sounding acoustic guitars like the Fender/Squier Stratacoustic, and Telecoustic sound surprisingly good amplified via their piezo’s, and preamp‘s.

and... it’s $150 bucks.

even Martin makes all ply (HPL) guitars...

More that a few longtime folk/Irish musicians have commented on the tone of my DX1AE MIM Martin (HPL sides/back, Richlite fretboard/bridge, Spruce top (not ply), and bracing), and have said if I hadn’t told them it was an X series, they would’ve never of guessed, the comment is always:“Sounds like a Martin”.

I’m not saying these guitars are in that range, but acoustically, the Cutaway I bought is VERY similar in tone to my Seagull, and the setups are pro level.

That’s still a heck of a lot for 150 bucks.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    techowiz, Kinnon09, mbroadus and 2 others like this.
  13. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I'm not planning on plugging mine in but I'm hoping it sounds like the Epiphones that cost more than double. We'll see. It looks pretty crazy awesome. It will be fun to play outside at parties and hand it to whoever wants to play a tune or two. I'm looking forward to this. My order is confirmed, but it didn't ship yet.

Kenneth Mountain and radiotech like this.
  14. FS SE

FS SE Squier Talker

Mar 9, 2021
    Colorado
    Wish it was a cutaway

radiotech likes this.
  15. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Just curious. What Monoprice guitar do you have? If it is this one then it has a solid spruce top where the one being talked about has a laminated ash top.
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=610801
    If so, then yes I would expect your solid-top Monoprice to sound pretty close to the Seagull but again, the guitar in question has a laminated top.
    But I agree that at the price it seems a good deal and I think plugged in it will sound swell.

16. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    I have the (solid) spruce top cutaway, as I’ve already said three times in this thread, and reviewed it here.

ironically... the model with the Solid Spruce top also has engineered Rosewood fretboard and bridge... so there is something about every Idyllwild model for purists to complain about! :D

I don’t think any purists are going to really complain very hard about a ply top in a $150 guitar, and if they’re really purists, they’ll never buy it in the first place.

drewcp, techowiz and mbroadus like this.
  17. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Well, my fancy looking acoustic guitar shipped yesterday from all the way out in Los Angeles. With any luck I'll get it here in NJ just after the holiday weekend.

radiotech likes this.
  18. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    MAN!!!
    upload_2021-5-26_11-9-31.gif

Uncle Joe likes this.
  19. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Where are those three instances? Excuse me but all I've read is that you bought the spruce top cutaway version of the guitar and you were impressed with it. Nowhere did I read that yours has a solid spruce top. That's why I posed the question as I wanted to know.

But the fault ultimately is with me as I've said before I don't plan to respond directly to any of your posts.

20. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    upload_2021-5-26_11-38-14.png

Ahhhhh... You’re the BEST!