PSA: almost useless 15% coupon from MF...take a peek :)

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by billyb, Aug 13, 2020.

1. billyb

billyb Squier-Nut

Jun 13, 2018
    Central Michigan
    Exclusions and limitations: Not to be used in conjunction with other coupons, promotions or offers. No cash value. Excludes discounted and clearance items, Stupid Deal, price matches, used/open box, restocks/refurbished, tax/shipping charges, scratch and dent, and Gift Certificates.

Products from the following manufacturers are excluded: A Designs, ADAM, ADAM Audio, Aguilar, Allen & Heath, Alvarez, Ampeg, Antelope Audio, Apogee, Apple, Arturia, Ashdown, Ashly Audio, Avantone, Avid, BAE, Beetronics FX, Blackstar, Bose, Boss, Burl Audio, Caparison Guitars, Catalinbread, Chapman, Crate, Cusack Music, D.W. Fearn, Dangerous Music, Dean Markley, Duesenberg USA, Earthquaker Devices, Earthworks, Electro-Harmonix, Elysia, Empress Effects, Epiphone, Ernie Ball Music Man, EVH, Fender, Fender Custom Shop, FOCAL, Focusrite, Fostex, Friedman, Fulltone, Fulltone Custom Shop, Gallien-Krueger, Gibson, Gibson Custom, Golden Age Project, GoPro, HeadRush, Heritage Audio, iConnectivity, ISP Technologies, iZotope, JHS Pedals, Kali Audio, Keeley, Kemper, Korg, Kurzweil, Kush Audio, LaChapell Audio, Lag Guitars, Lewitt Audio Microphones, Lindell Audio, Line 6, Mackie, Manley, Marshall, Martin, METRIC HALO, Millennia, Milkman Sound, Mojave Audio, Moog, MOTU, Native Instruments, Neumann, Nord, Novation, Orange Amplifiers, Paiste, Pettyjohn Electronics, Phoenix Audio, Primacoustic, PRS, Radial Engineering, Randall, Rane, Reloop, Reverend, RME, Rockett Pedals, Roland, Royer, Ruach Music, S.E. Shires, se Electronics, Sennheiser, Sequential, SERATO, Shure, Slate Digital, Slate Pro Audio, Slate Media Technology, Softube, Soundbrenner, Source Audio, Squier, Steven Slate Drums, Studiologic, Supro, Suzuki, Taylor, Teenage Engineering, Telefunken, Teletronix, Toft Audio Designs, Tone King, Tube-Tech, Voodoo Lab, Vox, Walrus Audio, Wampler, Warm Audio, WESTONE, Xotic Effects, Yamaha, ZT, Zvex.

The only good news is that Ibanez, Jackson, Mitchell and Sterling by Music Man guitars DO qualify...
    Kind of a silly promotion IMO :) :)

Loin Lover likes this.
  2. billyb

billyb Squier-Nut

Jun 13, 2018
    Central Michigan
    Oh...Schecter Guitars also qualify :) :)

3. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Those exclusives, to the best of my knowledge, have always been in place. You have to call and talk to a human being and ask for the discount on a specific item. Now this has been the case for me before the pandemic so I don't know if things have tightened up. Maybe so.

Additionally, I would say in all the years I've been getting discounts I've only been turned down once, and that time I think it was from a new employee who was uncertain. So I waited and called back about an hour later, talked to somebody else and got the discount.

However I've found out that there are some brands that MF or Guitar Center, et al, just can not/will not discount. One, I think is Bose. Another may be Boss/Roland. Something with a "B" in the name.

So call. What's the worse that can happen.

Btw, I just wanted to add that in my 19 years of dealing with Musicians Friend and my 10 years or so with GC I've never had an employee call and ask me about my "gear needs." Now Sweetwater used to do that to me but I asked to be taken off the phone calls and the phone has been silent.

However in the past week I've gotten these calls from GC and MF. So on one hand I don't see those big sales and discounts so I'm thinking business has been really good for these companies ... then I get these calls which suggest to me things aren't as rosy as I thought. Or maybe it's just another way to get business.

pgsdixon and techowiz like this.
  4. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Oh, btw ...

What coupon are you talking about? There is none listed online. Did you get it through your emails because MF and GC I think have more or less stopped sending them to me.

Could you post the code here or through a P.M.?

5. billyb

billyb Squier-Nut

Jun 13, 2018
    Central Michigan
    Yup...got it in an email this morning...
    Here ya' go :
    Coupon code: r857aqp09f9b
    Get Details
    or call 877-560-3807

6. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Thanks, I don't know why I'm not getting these MF/GC emails any more.
    Btw, the discount is 10 percent off for items $99 to $199 and then the 15 percent discount kicks in with a maximum discount of $500. That's generally the way it's been in the past but sometimes it is just a minimum purchase of $199 for the 15 percent off with no discount.

I wonder if GC has or will have a similar discount.

B tw2, when the listing says "discounted" I think that also means on sale items. I just tried it on an Ibanez H-S-H guitar (it's blue!) and it wouldn't go through but I tried it on the same model in another finish that is not on sale and it went through.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  7. pgsdixon

pgsdixon Squier Talker

Jul 26, 2020
    Aurora, IL
    You can always ask if they'll price match the MF coupon, though while MF will usually honor the discount on just about anything over the phone it's less likely Guitar Center would give you the discount on an excluded item. But you never know. Your rate of success typically increases with the dollar amount you'll be spending.

8. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I've tried that a few times and failed miserably. The reason given, I'm told, is that the GC clerk has to have a set web page to look up. They won't (at least for me) take the added time to find an item and then try to assess the discount code. Again, it's free to try but I've given up on that. however, you may luck out and find a friendly GC agent to help you.

And it gets more complicated if you try to match other retailers.

For example I wanted to buy my EHX Holy Grail and I found a site on the web that was offering it for a good deal and without any coupons. I then contacted MF and the agent asked for the webpage listing. i provided that and then he said he couldn't offer it to me because it wasn't listed as a "registered seller" for the product. However I was luckily able to prove that the webpage was merely an offshoot of another major retailer ... different name, different webpage but the physical address and phone number, etc. was the same as the parent company.

I was able to get the deal but it took a little effort and homework on my part .(Sound of Ralph124C41 clapping himself on the back followed by the sound of Ralph12C41 crying out in pain for doing that to his old body.)

pgsdixon likes this.