Protect your ears!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by DougMen, Jul 10, 2020.

1. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I suffer from tinnitus, and hearing loss in both ears from too much loud music. But, I'm lucky, because, although I hear it all the time, it isn't so bad that it interferes with my sleep, my enjoyment of CDs and guitar playing, and life in general. And, that's not true for many that suffer from the same affliction. And, I'm lucky in that, although my left ear is worse than my right, when I listen to music on my stereo, or on my computer, things that should be in the center, including high pitched sounds like cymbals, still sound perfectly centered. I wear earplugs all the time, because it seems to reduce the effect of the ringing, but also because it keeps my guitar playing and music listening from exacerbating the ringing. I do find that if I play with my amp too loud or my stereo too loud, then the ringing will be worse afterwards. This is one reason that I use small practice and/or modeling amps, and stereo speakers, that sound full and rich at low volume levels, because I don't want to continue to damage my ears more than I have to. So, to make a short story long, what I'm trying to say is, protect your ears, because, besides your hands and your mind, they are your most important asset as a musician, and you don't want to become the next Beethoven. Anytime your ears are ringing after a concert, stereo session, or jam session or rehearsal, you're doing damage. Use some kind of hearing protection, even if it's only cotton or toilet paper stuffed in your ears. Anything is better than nothing, and turning down is better still. One of the reasons that my left ear is worse than the right is because it was 3 feet from the drummer's crash cymbal in the tiny garage that we used to jam in. And, I have to cover my ears if I'm on the street and an ambulance goes by me. If I don't, it's physically painful to me. At my age, some loss of high frequencies is to be expected. Most men above 50 don't hear anything above 15khz, while young people can hear out to 22khz. I'm lucky that my high frequency loss isn't worse than it is, because I just tested myself with an online generator, and, even with my cheap Logitech speakers with no tweeter, I could still hear the 10khz tone, but not the 11khz one, although at a reduced level. I had to turn the volume up to hear the tones above 6khz, compared to 6khz and below. But, after that, my ears are screaming now more than usual. So, be forewarned, because our hearing is something we take for granted until we lose some of it, and then we realize we should have been more careful.

Viking, Eddd, ScoobySnacker and 3 others like this.
  2. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    ^^^^^. What he said. Too late for me.
    80AD0511-FB66-47F7-8646-23F567499F2F.jpeg

ScoobySnacker likes this.
  3. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    We didn't even think about ear protection in my youth..The Marine Corps didn't give me ear plugs when I was firing the M1 30 cal or any other weapons..Then years of hunting with a 12 gauge just added more damage..
    I'm right handed..Wanna guess which ear went first ??
    First noticed it in my late 20s..Now the right ear is nearly completely useless..Left ear is still about 90% good..And I'm going overboard on protecting that good ear..That's why I won't go to any concerts..
    The VA gave me real good pair of hearing aids that I have to wear when communicating with most people..
    And yeah I have tinnitus 24/7..Loud noise makes that worse..
    Protect those ears folks..
    HUH????

Viking, ScoobySnacker and DougMen like this.
  4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I've been at least putting Kleenex in my ears for live music since I started listening to it. Once or twice over the decades one of the wads fell out and I didn't notice. It sure reminds you why you use them when one ear is half deaf for a day or so afterward and you have a good ear to compare it to!

I remember at work back in the '80s when I was doing something noisy and used hearing protection. One of the other guys asked me with a smug attitude "Are your ears really sensitive or something?" My answer was "Yes, and I'd like to keep them that way."

Viking, ScoobySnacker and DougMen like this.
  5. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

I bring silicone earplugs on a shoelace-type lanyard for live music every time.
    [​IMG]

Also:
    "This very morning, after a night in the studio trying to crack a difficult song demo, I wake up realizing again—reminding myself, and feeling the need to remind the world—that my own particular kind of damage was caused by using earphones in the recording studio, not playing loud on stage," [Pete] Townshend wrote on his web site Dec. 29.​

I have to beware of that because almost all of my guitar playing is through headphones, and with an iPod plugged into the auxiliary input. It's hard not to engage in a loudness war, from both sides.

6. ScoobySnacker

ScoobySnacker Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2018
    Never-reach, NY
    WHAT DID YOU SAY??!!

Just kidding, sort of.
    I have no idea why people say they have ringing in their ears.
    Mine is a, mostly, nonstop high pitch whistle.
    I spent my 26 years in the business world on a trading floor(please refer to the last half hour of the movie "Trading Places").
    5,000 or so very loud men trying to get the attention of each other trying to save a tick on the buy order and make a tick on the sale.
    MADNESS:), which I have to say, I wouldn't want any other way, as it defines me as much as I can be defined.

WHAT???

Apparently traders have been suffering from this since the mid 1920s and named it for a notable WWl hero.

Yes, my friends, I suffer from Rin Tin Tinnitus:oops:

COMING!!