Prices on strings are up

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by DougMen, Jun 24, 2020.

1. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I've noticed that I can't get as good of deals on strings as I used to, as if they're all charging a bit more to make up for revenue lost during the lockdown. I used to always get either 3 packs of Fender or EB 9s for $10, or 10 packs of either for $40 with free shipping on Ebay. Now, the best I can find is is $12 for the EB 3 packs or $43 for the 10 packs, and for Fender strings it's even higher. I can't find any 10 packs, and the cheapest 3 packs are $16. There is one seleer that has the Fender strings for $9 for 2 sets, so I might as well just get 5 of those for $45. For some reason, the Fender strings really bring out the best from the Yosemite pickups on my Am Performer Strat, but I prefer the EBs on all my other guitars. The Fenders are a little lower tension, and when I put them on the other guitars, I get more buzz, but if I raise the saddles, then I don't like the way they play as much as with the EBs. And the Fender strings can sound a little too bright and harsh on the other guitars, but they're just perfect on the Performer, and it sounds better than anything else. But, if I put the EBs on it, then it loses some of its magic. Very strange that I would see that much difference from one guitar to the others. I guess what started out as a thread about string prices turned into one about the sound and feel differences of identical guage strings from two different makers. And, even though the Fender strings are made by Daddario, they sound and feel a lot different than those too.

2. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    Supply and demand.

Several decades ago, a brick of 500 .22 cal rounds was $10, and then when people started hoarding IIRC at one point it was up to $100.

3. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Yeah, I noticed the same thing. I just paid $43 for a ten pack of D’Addario’s. Still not bad I guess. But definitely seemed higher than what I paid last time.

DougMen and Matt Shevell like this.
  4. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Supply and demand! It’s crazy how much that can affect prices. We have seen it the other way with gas prices. With all the quarantine stuff, people are driving a lot less and gas prices dropped way down. At least here in Maryland. We are at about $2.00 a gallon. Down from about $3.50 before all this started.

jamesgpobog likes this.
  5. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    Someone mentioned in a thread yesterday that Sweetwater is having a sale through June 30. EB 9 three packs for $9.99 + tax w free shipping.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/dealzone/c1076--Guitar_Strings-deals

6. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

since before Christmas ?

Matt Shevell and dbrian66 like this.
  7. Matt Shevell

Matt Shevell Squier-Nut

Feb 5, 2018
    New York
    Yeah, I only buy what’s on sale now too

next time I’ll get a bunch

8. mozilla

mozilla Squier-Meister

Jun 10, 2020
    Austin Texas
    Please....do yourself a favor and call Chris Foresta at GC/MF. He will assuredly get you a better deal than advertised pricing. He works hard to help people.
    Here is his number....385-220-3959.
    If I remember....you won't pay shipping either.
    Feel free to tell him Jeff in Austin sent you.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  9. billyb

billyb Squier-Meister

Jun 13, 2018
    Central Michigan
    Stratosphere has a 12 pack of Fender Super 250's for $39 shipped.
    Only has the 10-42's at that price but ... :)
    That's about $3.33 per set !!!

ScoobySnacker likes this.
  10. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Well at least you aren't paying NZ prices :) we pay $12nz ($8-9ishUS) for one pack of EB, not 3! Elixir electric strings are $24 per pack, and $33 for acoustic pack.
    I've found the newish EB acoustic strings, earthwood I think they are called are the cheapest 'brand name' strings for acoustic around $30 for a 3 pack, but they dont last nearly as long as the elixirs or other coated strings

11. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

I was gifted strings for Christmas, my birthday, and Fathers Day...am set for a year...or more - I prefer the sound of older strings to new, and I’m a hobby player anymore, they last me a while...and at no charge this year ... I guess my wife and grown kids DO pay attention to me when I talk about silly things such as strings

12. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I’m so well stocked from a big buy from xmas of 2017, I haven’t bought any... though I’m getting close to needing some.

ScoobySnacker and squierTony like this.
  13. Forum Guest

Forum Guest Squier-Meister

Jan 22, 2019
    United States
    YIKES!!:eek:

gearobsessed likes this.
  14. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Wait till you see the price of our Cigarettes!!

beagle likes this.
  15. Forum Guest

Forum Guest Squier-Meister

Jan 22, 2019
    United States
    A few years ago I gave them up, when my brand (Pall Mall) was one of the cheaper ones at about $4.50USD/pack in Ohio compared to say, Marlboro at around $6.50(tax included).

The cheaper ones now go for around $6.50 (pre-tax)... I can only imagine how pricey they are in your neck of the woods!

gearobsessed likes this.
  16. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I use Fender 250s on my Performer Strat, and EB SS on the other guitars, and the EBs start sounding dead after a few weeks, or maybe a couple of months at best, but the Fenders on my Performer have been on there for about six months, and they still sound like new. I have found that even though strings are packaged in sealed packs now, they still seem to be fresher from some sellers than from others. So, I guess the temperature and humidity can still affect them even in the sealed packaging.

Forum Guest likes this.
  17. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

A couple of years ago GC was offering a deal for a store credit of $250 for every $1000 you spent on Equipment. I bought an SG and spent the $250 on strings. Lots of strings. So, I'm still good. Although, it seems that JustStrings has kept their prices pretty consistant for several months now, particularly on mutli-packs, which is how I usually go anyway.

18. Geetarman72

Geetarman72 Squier Talker

Apr 18, 2020
    Deltona
    Does seem that way . Still though 12 bucks for a 3 pack is much better then what I can get them locally . Some music stores want 10 bucks for a single pack. If you keep looking on Ebay you can still find deals.

19. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Sorry. I wrote about Guitar Center's String Club but apparently that was terminated last year. Way to go, GC!

20. ScoobySnacker

ScoobySnacker Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2018
    Never-reach, NY
    Well, shirley a packet of strings outlasts a packet of smokes.

Sorry. I will stop calling you shirley. :eek: