Prewired Harness builder caught using bogus PIO caps

Lanaka

AKA GhostGuitars
Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Have any retailers said why they don't ship to Hawaii?

Many said they don't ship internationally, nvm Hawaii has been a part of the USA for 60 years already, and most wont change their position, a few then said the could ship but at outrageous markups. Pass and refuse to deal with then in future because if they're that lazy to to even check with their shipper(s) and get confirmation that they DO ship to Hawai'i at competitive rates thats often no more than shipping from coast to coast, that begs the question in what else they're going to be lazy about too?

I have a **** list. Tis easier to get on it, than to get off it. There's 3 levels to that list, minor, major and the permanent lists. Those on the minor list have a likely chance to get off if they can convince me that they're sincere about fixing whatever issue that got them on the list. Major will require them to both prove to me they're sincere AND do acceptable reparation for whatever got them on list. The permanent list is what's on the cover, once on the list, I burn all bridges, boats and planes and I'll never have anything to do with them. Gibson is already one foot in the major list and other foot is heading towards the permanent list. 920D is one foot in the minor list in that they havent screwed me yet, but I'm wary of what I have been hearing lately* and irritated about the shipping silliness.

* Mind ye this is not the first time I've heard about a scandal or some minor infraction involving 920D.

DougMen

Dr. Squier
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI
Have any retailers said why they don't ship to Hawaii?
To them Hawaii isn't really a part of the US, and the people here are a bunch of foreigners that aren't real Americans. I've explained to some of them that shipping to here is actually safer, because the item goes by truck to the airport, on a plane for here, and then on a truck to the consumer, as opposed to shipping across the country, where an item may be handled by dozens of people in dozens of facilities and shuffled around to and from them all, on and off of dozens of trucks on the way to its destination. They're so ignorant that they don't even know that all the major carriers offer "ground" shipping rates to Hawaii. Many won't even ship a pedal to Hawaii, let alone a guitar or amp. I read horror stories here all the time about lost, delayed, damaged, and other problems people experience in getting their guitars to them. We have NONE of those problems here. I've bought guitars from MF where they didn't even double box it, and it came in the manufacturer's triangle box only, without incident. UPS, FedEx, and USPS here handle packages with much greater care than in many other places in the country.
On Ebay, I can't count how many times I've put my zip code in to calculate shipping on something and I get back "please input a valid zip code". I've even had pedal sellers in China on Ebay that won't ship to Hawaii, and I tried explaining to them that Hawaii is closer to China than California or New York. It's irrational senseless discrimination.

Last edited:

DougMen

Dr. Squier
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI
Many said they don't ship internationally, nvm Hawaii has been a part of the USA for 60 years already, and most wont change their position, a few then said the could ship but at outrageous markups. Pass and refuse to deal with then in future because if they're that lazy to to even check with their shipper(s) and get confirmation that they DO ship to Hawai'i at competitive rates thats often no more than shipping from coast to coast, that begs the question in what else they're going to be lazy about too?

I have a **** list. Tis easier to get on it, than to get off it. There's 3 levels to that list, minor, major and the permanent lists. Those on the minor list have a likely chance to get off if they can convince me that they're sincere about fixing whatever issue that got them on the list. Major will require them to both prove to me they're sincere AND do acceptable reparation for whatever got them on list. The permanent list is what's on the cover, once on the list, I burn all bridges, boats and planes and I'll never have anything to do with them. Gibson is already one foot in the major list and other foot is heading towards the permanent list. 920D is one foot in the minor list in that they havent screwed me yet, but I'm wary of what I have been hearing lately* and irritated about the shipping silliness.

* Mind ye this is not the first time I've heard about a scandal or some minor infraction involving 920D.
And USPS Priority flat rates are the same no matter to where or how far the item travels.

Lanaka

AKA GhostGuitars
Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
To them Hawaii isn't really a part of the US, and the people here are a bunch of foreigners that aren't real Americans. I've explained to some of them that shipping to here is actually safer, because the item goes by truck to the airport, on a plane for here, and then on a truck to the consumer, as opposed to shipping across the country, where an item may be handled by dozens of people in dozens of facilities and shuffled around to and from them all, on and off of dozens of trucks on the way to its destination. They're so ignorant that they don't even know that all the major carriers offer "ground" shipping rates to Hawaii. Many won't even ship a pedal to Hawaii, let alone a guitar or amp. I read horror stories here all the time about lost, delayed, damaged, and other problems people experience in getting their guitars to them. We have NONE of those problems here. I've bought guitars from MF where they didn't even double box it, and it came in the manufacturer's triangle box only, without incident. UPS, FedEx, and USPS here handle packages with much greater care than in many other places in the country.
On Ebay, I can't count how many times I've put my zip code in to calculate shipping on something and I get back "please input a valid zip code". I've even had pedal sellers in China on Ebay that won't ship to Hawaii, and I tried explaining to them that Hawaii is closer to China than California or New York. It's irrational senseless discrimination.

And USPS Priority flat rates are the same no matter to where or how far the item travels.

If the Like button had a ‼️or ❣️, I'd be mashing it repeatedly.

Hal Nico

Squier-Nut
Dec 21, 2020
UK
I've used this type for over 30 years and would never pay Top-Dollar for something as simple as a capacitor,

Mylar Capacitors

s-l1600.jpg

Around a quid a piece :)

4406Pack

Squier-holic
Silver Supporting Member
Jan 12, 2021
The responses from the owners are comical on TGP post
Enjoy 😊

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Silver Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2017
Western NY, USA
1. The owner of the company (not J. Darr) posted, explained the situation, and said what will be done to remediate it. It's straightforward and I believe the guy.

2. The member answers have gotten funny.

VM51SQ

Squier-Meister
Apr 14, 2017
oregon
I was thinking something similar, but also wondering what placebo effect that had on people who have convinced themselves they can hear a difference based on what materials a cap is made out of.
Maybe this sort of incident can be a wake up call for that kind of delusion.
I've used Gunstreet wiring shop harnesses on my guitars, and they install the large orange drop capacitors in their circuits. But they go into full detail explaining that it's a fully aesthetic choice (besides being a quality product of course). I think the cool factor matters, so I like having a very "high end" looking component in my guitar. But electronics and logic say it's definitely unnecessary, just really nice to have!

DrBeGood

Dr. Squier
Dec 9, 2014
QC, CANADA
I've used Gunstreet wiring shop harnesses on my guitars, and they install the large orange drop capacitors in their circuits. But they go into full detail explaining that it's a fully aesthetic choice (besides being a quality product of course). I think the cool factor matters, so I like having a very "high end" looking component in my guitar. But electronics and logic say it's definitely unnecessary, just really nice to have!
Just curious, how often do you go look in the control cavity ?

If everything works as it should, I never go there. I got a beautiful 2008 Gibson LP Studio (every excuse to show it is good, yes?) 6 months ago and just yesterday, because one scratchy pot needed cleaning, I noticed it has a printed circuit board in there.

2008 Gibson Studio.jpg

SubSailer671

Squier Talk Member
‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎
Jul 4, 2019
Ohio, United States

If everything works as it should, I never go there. I got a beautiful 2008 Gibson LP Studio (every excuse to show it is good, yes?) 6 months ago and just yesterday, because one scratchy pot needed cleaning, I noticed it has a printed circuit board in there.

This is the absolute truth about all this nonsense. Does it sound good? If yes, then stop trying to fix. Nothing else matters.

VM51SQ

Squier-Meister
Apr 14, 2017
oregon

You are absolutely right, I never get in there unless there's a problem, and being honest, I really didn't have any problems. It's just pure vanity ! :) BTW, killer LP Studio !!

Ace38

Squier-holic
Staff member
Jul 19, 2016
Tulsa, OK.

Amen, all these "tone connoisseurs" who pay out the ear for this crap thinking it'll improve their sound had no clue and were happy as fat rats till this story came out, now they're outraged. Granted, they didn't get what they paid for, but they thought they did and had no audible clue otherwise.

Just play. Nothing else matters.

4406Pack

Squier-holic
Silver Supporting Member
Jan 12, 2021
All i know is False advertising is a Death warrant for a business
I mean would you pay for a new tesla to find out they substituted it for a yugo because of supply line issues
The main guy said he didn’t know what his right hand man was doing and wants to make it right
But if your the man i think you should know what is happening at you business
Fraud is Fraud anyway you look at it

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Silver Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2017
Western NY, USA
All i know is False advertising is a Death warrant for a business
I mean would you pay for a new tesla to find out they substituted it for a yugo because of supply line issues
The main guy said he didn’t know what his right hand man was doing and wants to make it right
But if your the man i think you should know what is happening at you business
Fraud is Fraud anyway you look at it

Not directed at this specific case, but in general, and I say this from long experience in small and large business:

The leadership doesn't know the detail of what management is doing. They shouldn't. Leadership is strategic, management is tactical, and managers are hired on the basis of them knowing what they're doing and being left to do it. If leadership wants to know detail about management, they are taking time away from leadership duties. If leadership needs to know detail about management, then either management is dealing with something critical that needs leadership awareness or management is failing.

It's not necessarily a failure of leadership when management makes an error of judgement or a mistake. The majority of management decisions, good or bad, occur out of the view of leadership.

4406Pack

Squier-holic
Silver Supporting Member
Jan 12, 2021
Not directed at this specific case, but in general, and I say this from long experience in small and large business:
The leadership doesn't know the detail of what management is doing. They shouldn't. Leadership is strategic, management is tactical, and managers are hired on the basis of them knowing what they're doing and being left to do it. If leadership wants to know detail about management, they are taking time away from leadership duties. If leadership needs to know detail about management, then either management is dealing with something critical that needs leadership awareness or management is failing.

It's not necessarily a failure of leadership when management makes an error of judgement or a mistake. The majority of management decisions, good or bad, occur out of the view of leadership.
Ignorance is no excuse
If i was writing paychecks and paying the bills i would be in on all decisions that affect my company

Latest posts