Precision Bass Pickup Recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Squier Bass Place' started by Mr Bob, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Mr Bob

Mr Bob Squier-Nut

Nov 11, 2011
    Bedfordshire
    After many years, one of the pickups on my bass has started misbehaving.

It is an 80s Precision copy and has more sentimental than monetary value, so not wanting to spend big, but wondered if anyone has any recommendations for some decent pups that don't break the bank- maybe something you've upgraded a Squier Precision with?

I have had a quick look across my go-to brands where 6 strings are concerned, but not much joy...

2. leekirkham

leekirkham Squier-Meister

Feb 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    The original Precision pickup from Fender is always a good choice, they come in around $100, pretty average.

Mr Bob likes this.
  3. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    I have to also vote for the original precison, I found one on Amazon a couple years back for $60, it’s been in two Basses, and it’s great... but the leads are fragile (I’ve had to re-solder both leads on the pickup side).

I do have a very close runner up though, Wilkinson makes a Alnico V Model I used in my former USA JP-90 (which had an original P in it, which I later fixed). It was a smidge hotter than the original, but sounded perfect. Here’s an Amazon link, but you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

Mr Bob and drewcp like this.
  4. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Unless you are after a specific "personality", I'd suggest standard Fender pups as well. I'm not familiar with the "cheap and cheerful" options available in the UK though.

Mr Bob likes this.
  5. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
    I see alnico5’s on eBay for about $12.50. There’s some Fleour’s for $2 more. Guitar Madness has some in his eBay store too.

I have Quarter Pounders in my ‘99 Affinity I picked up for $50 at GC and they have a very wide range of tones with the knobs and can really thump!

Mr Bob likes this.
  6. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    Mr Bob likes this.
  7. sqrat51

sqrat51 Squier Talker

Aug 26, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    I replaced the cheapie pickups on my Squier VM PJ bass with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounds. More than happy with the results!

Mr Bob likes this.
  8. tadnugent

tadnugent Squier Talker

Mar 26, 2019
    El Paso
    I hope no one else snipes you on this... http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=254795701138

RoyalWe, Treehouse and drewcp like this.
  9. Mr Bob

Mr Bob Squier-Nut

Nov 11, 2011
    Bedfordshire
  10. Mr Bob

Mr Bob Squier-Nut

Nov 11, 2011
    Bedfordshire
    Thanks all for the suggestions.

Fender originals seem to be about the same price as SDs in UK, which is a bit more than I want to spend at the moment.

I am going with some Artec units that I picked up crazy cheap on ebay as a short-term fix - will see how they sound and maybe keep an eye out for some pre-loved Fender or SDs.

RoyalWe likes this.
  11. tadnugent

tadnugent Squier Talker

Mar 26, 2019
    El Paso