Preamp

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by gary mitchell, Oct 25, 2020.

1. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    Unknown-4.jpeg I have a Mitchell FB700 bass with MIM type pickups, I love the bass itself but I am not crazy about the sound I am getting. I was wondering would you change pickups are the preamp. The pickups are Alnico 5s and the pickups won't make a sound without the battery . And if you would change the preamp is there any decent cheap one out there. I has a 3 band eq.

mb doug and Big tuna like this.
  2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer I just don't know anymore.. Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Beautiful bass Gary...

mb doug likes this.
  3. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I tried to take a peek of the preamp and what I saw was it said CB tone master are Master tone, its square and stuck to the plastic cover covering the pots and stuff.

mb doug likes this.
  4. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    Would it be cheaper to get a bass eg say like Behringer maybe

mb doug likes this.
  5. Big tuna

Big tuna Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    Nice bass sorry all mine are passive so can't help on pre amp.

mb doug likes this.
  6. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    That preamp is dedicated to those pickups. You can't change it. If the pickups are passive and not active, then you could conceivably be able to remove the preamp and replace the electronics with standard passive volume and tone controls. But, why not just sell it, and buy a similar Mitchell bass with passive electronics. But, with active 3 band EQ you should be able to get some great sounds out of that bass.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    mb doug and gary mitchell like this.
  7. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    Have not taken it apart yet, the only active pickups I ever put in were EMGs and they are easy. But with this bass I wouldn't take a part until I got a lot of info and advice and know for sure what I was doing, I don't have that kind of money to make a mistake I live on retirement. Also I am going to try all the advice you guys give me before taking anything apart . I use this Bass at Church and usually I set all the knobs in the middle, and use both pickups. I have not used an active bass in a long time. My other 2 basses are a Lakland 3TBS with passive humbuckers, and my P bass together out of parts and a new neck has Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders in it, which has become my favorite bass. I got the body free I believe its a Squire body with a neck from I don't remember $60.00 dollars for it awesome neck stainless steel frets. I have maybe a Hundred dollars in it. Sorry back to the Mitchell bass I have time to try all the options you guys give me and I am very thankful to you guys.

8. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Did you ever maybe consider your hearing is starting to change as you get older and things always pretty much sound bad to you now? Because....Gary....it seems like you're hating every single pickup and sound of every instrument you have or get now.....

Change your amp settings....that bass needs no new preamp or pickups......play with pickup heights....change the settings on the bass.....

drewcp and gary mitchell like this.
  9. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I am going thru all my amps and basses and guitars, and just pickup height and Eq settings on all. The only bass I am really happy with is my frankenstein P bass. The body I think is a 80s squire body according to the serial number on the plate, the neck is a know name neck my wife found on the internet $60 and is a very nice neck, the body came with SD Quarter Pound pickups. I got maybe at the most $100.00 in it, but I love the sound of it very much.

10. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I think maybe you just prefer precision bass pickups, and don't like these humbucker style pups. Have you tried only playing the neck pickup, or only playing the bridge pup?

On my Blacktop precision bass, I only like the neck pickup and never used the bridge. It had humbucker type pickups.

gary mitchell and Guitarmageddon like this.
  11. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    yes

12. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I think I found the problem has this ever happen to any of you. Put my bass on my work bench and turn my bright light on it to see better. And notice a dark place on 3 strings about the 4 and 5th frets. It was the E,A,D strings it look like those places at one time were super heated, black with blue in the middle of the black. I never played it with the strings it had on it. I like flat wounds , I put on a set don't remember brand but they were not my usual. I use mostly Fender Flats on my basses, they sound good to me and have a decent sound. I can't believe I didn't notice putting them on.

drewcp likes this.
  13. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    Mitchell basses sells that preamp for $50.00.