Posting questions and oiling your fretboard

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Swany, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Swany

Swany Squier Talker

Mar 16, 2020
    Chicago
    Hello,
    two questions as I am not squier-talk literate yet.

Except for new member introductions thread, how do you post new questions?

Secondly, I have a new Bullet Telecaster about 9 months old. Do I have to change the strings in order to oil the fretboard properly? I can do both, just wondering if it is ok to oil it without changing strings. If I wipe it thoroughly wil any oil damage the strings.

Sorry for the newbie questions. Thanks,

Swany

BlueTele and gmt124 like this.
  2. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Welcome a board..Before you oil the fretboard it would be wise to remove the strings and clean it..A tooth brush works well for that..

BlueTele likes this.
  3. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Hello and welcome!

It is a good idea to remove the strings before oiling the fretboard. You do need to take some care not to overdo it--too much oiling can damage a guitar. Many folks never use it. I use it about once a year, and usually wait for a string change to do it.

To post a new question, select a forum and look to the top right of the page. There is a button there called "Post New Thread." Click that and off you go. I use a computer for this forum-you may have a different experience on a phone.

strat_strummer likes this.
  4. Big tuna

Big tuna Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    If you don't want to remove the strings you just put your conditioner on a paper towel and run it under the strings then go back and remove excess. They make a small wipe i think it's Ernie Ball for about a dollar a pack that is good. I do it all the time if it hurts the strings i can't tell any difference.

5. strat_strummer

strat_strummer ^^ Doing what I do best^^ Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
  6. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    Your wife’s toothbrush works even better:p

BlueTele, gmt124, Eddd and 1 other person like this.
  7. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    If it's only 9 months old and you have kept it very clean ,you could put a lemon oil on it an probably be ok.

If it's dirty though ,you need to clean it first ;)

8. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I use the Dunlop 65 lemon oil, which has a built-in applicator, without taking off the strings, and then I just wipe off the excess with a paper towel, and I've never noticed any negative effect on the strings.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  9. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Welcome to ST.

There are many categories, such as tech talk, Squier Stratocaster, other guitars, etc. Select the appropriate one and "create thread" for questions, comments, and pics. We love pics. Hint hint.

10. gmt124

gmt124 Squier-Meister

Aug 11, 2019
    Wales, UK
    Hi Swany and welcome aboard the ST, enjoy your time here.

11. jtees4

jtees4 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2012
    NYish
    I've been using lemon oil on my rosewood guitars since the 70's...in fact I still have the same bottle...AND I've always put a lot on, Before the internet, there was no way to know I was going to ruin my boards....and the fact is...I never have! So yeah, I oil it whenever it looks dry and put plenty. I usually do it with strings on also, I guess that's wrong too;)

12. Jes Woodland

Jes Woodland Squier Talker

Sep 4, 2020
    Nottingham UK
    Lemon oil will not do any harm to your strings, but as has been mentioned, it is easier to clean and oil the fretboard with the strings removed but isn't essential.

13. BlueTele

BlueTele Squier-Meister

Aug 29, 2019
    Waleska, Georgia
  14. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychopathic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Ernie Ball makes some really awesome pretreated fretboard conditioner cloths.
    618aPOo3MPL._AC_SX679_.jpg