Porch Life

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Jun 12, 2021.

1. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Beautiful porch Don, but give me a hammock under a willow tree anyday!!

2. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    I spend a lot of time sitting on the deck.

3. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Wow! That's some lovely dec, Lonn! :)

-don

mb doug, Angry Possum and Robb like this.
  4. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    We have 3 porches divided on 2 sides of the cottage and enjoying them every day

radiotech, duceditor, mb doug and 3 others like this.
  5. White Dog

White Dog Squier-Meister

Oct 19, 2011
    Iowa
    No porch or deck at my house; but I have a nice large back yard (here in nowhere's-ville Iowa) that is set up with a fire pit and chairs, a vegetable garden, apple tree, plenty of bird feeders (as well as bird houses) and Hummingbird feeders. Depending on time of day plenty sun and shade in different parts.
    If I'm not at work, and when it isn't raining---that is where you'll find me, my wife, and some neighbors.
    Winters are spent in my basement Studio.
    Life is good in that back yard!

Robb, vlxerdon, -r3- and 3 others like this.
  6. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Nut

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    Y'all got some nice decks & porches
    Being a builder I'm almost embarrassed but this is my little slice o the world IMG_20210603_225951762.jpg

Kinnon09, Uncle Joe, Robb and 3 others like this.
  7. jbrowning

jbrowning Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2019
    colorado springs
    And now my sister and I are looking at putting a covered front porch on our house. This is what it looks like now. The floor of the porch will end up being 30 ft wide by 6 ft deep by 1 ft tall.

20210613_095618_resized.jpg

Great looking porch Don.
    Jim

8. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Here’s the front porch, the rear deck is in the process of upgrades. Hopefully, I’ll post it later in the summer.
    40481464-D83F-4AC5-8CE8-55AAE239ADC3.jpeg

9. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    So I would imagine that "back in the day"
    during the height of the summer heat, that some of the occupants of your home might have slumbered on that spacious porch?
    Have you ever considered or actually slept out there?
    I think that the mosquito population would have a great influence on any such activity.
    But it sure sounds like a pleasant idea?

Robb and radiotech like this.
  10. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    No. Never have. Never even thought of it!

I would imagine as a kid I would gave. The previous owner had teenage kids and they had obviously spent time in some of the cabins. And there are plenty of clearings for tents and the like.

When the woods came right up to the house mosquitos could be a nuisance. But since we cleared the areas around the house and the in-use cottages not nearly so much.

-don

Robb and radiotech like this.
  11. White Dog

White Dog Squier-Meister

Oct 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Not sure how things happen in the "northeast"...but here in the midwest; YES...every freaking person I ever grew up with (including me) has "slept" on a porch, patio, back yard, front yard, neighbors yard, or somewhere in the block on or under a picnic table and/or, wherever they "laid their hat" (thank you Temptations 'Rolling Stone')...it happened every night during the summer for sure.
    Winter; you knew you'd die...so regardless of how f'ed up you were....you made it to a safe place (most of the time).

-r3-, Robb, radiotech and 1 other person like this.
  12. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Bought some used teak patio furniture, staining/sealing it is first step in the process of re-imagining the backyard.
    FB28BB1C-105F-46BE-86B6-B576CB3C4F38.jpeg EEFEE818-DBBC-480C-9558-A3415020465A.jpeg
    This will receive a light sanding after drying.

13. Horseflesh

Horseflesh Squier Talker

Sep 19, 2020
    Seattle-ish
    I live in the Seattle area and what they say is true, it does rain a lot. But fortunately our home came with a big patio cover for the back yard.

upload_2021-6-14_9-21-7.png

We actually extended it at the beginning of this year. You can see the new half just doesn't match the old half, but that's life. Better it be half ugly than all ugly. (The installer said they could re-roof the old side using the existing posts, we may do that someday. )
    upload_2021-6-14_9-23-11.png

The whole property is about 2.5 acres but the back yard is about an acre of lawn. The property line is way past that treeline and there's a creek down there meaning there is no chance of houses popping up close to us. (On the right you can see part of the neighbor's fence.)
    upload_2021-6-14_9-23-53.png

We spent hours outside yesterday playing video games, haha. It was raining all day but it was also 68F so it was very comfortable.
    upload_2021-6-14_9-22-0.png

In the summer we do outdoor movies.
    upload_2021-6-14_9-29-56.png

We are lucky to have this house. It's in the suburbs near Seattle but has a large lot that feels secluded.

14. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Yes!

Two thirds of our attached property, plus an additional acre across the street, is kept principally for that reason. To prevent an encroachment which would change the character of our own cherished space.

My town is active in helping to preserve this as well. Allowing new construction -- indeed, encouraging it! -- but that without created sprawl.

To that end they have relaxed space requirements in the town itself, while being increasingly strict in the area around it.

Other 'rules' also help towards this anti sprawl goal. No drive thru restaurants are allowed, for instance . 'Healthy' public use of private land is encouraged by allowing property owners to earmark large sections of land for such, and for responsible forestry -- doing this putting it out of bounds for the taxman.

Of our 29 acres 23 are thus kept open to hikers, hunters and the like, and good (meaning "healthy") forest management is taken seriously.

but sprawlish housing developments? No!

We quite often hear shooting on our land. Loud music or other human noise almost never. And that is just as we wish it to remain!

As I posted earlier... "Space, Space. Space. Space. Space!" :)

Now I know some people prefer the other. I've had a beloved friend tell me that he simply cannot sleep without the sound of people , sirens and car horns. -

And that's fine too. There is (and there should be) no shortage of such places for those who prefer them!

But not here. Not near me/us. :D

-don

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    Horseflesh likes this.
  15. BobWithOneO

BobWithOneO Squier-Meister

Dec 3, 2020
    Best Carolina
    I thought the title said Porsche life and I'm now a little sad.

I live the Porsche life vicariously through my Miata.

duceditor likes this.
  16. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Wow. Nice porch Don. Nice stock of split wood too. Our deck is small but private. We have a fire ring alongside and you can see our daughter's soccer goal before the woods. It's private, which is nice to have so close to the city.

I didn't realize how quiet it really is at our house until we went all the way down to South Jersey for a soccer tournament. We stayed at a motel about 45 minutes southeast of Philly and southwest of Atlantic City. It should be quiet right? I joke that all they have are soccer fields and sod farms so all you can do is either watch soccer matches or watch grass grow. I was wrong. I found out you can also listen to traffic on the highway all night.

I'm glad to have some peace and quiet around here, even if our space is a bit limited. IMG_20200516_204120306.jpg

17. Exhead

Exhead Squier-Meister

Jul 15, 2015
    Nevada
    That is an amazing porch and I am sure a wonderful place to strum and to meditate.

duceditor likes this.
  18. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    radiotech and duceditor like this.
  19. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    How very cool!

No obe will likily here me/ us, but it’d still be fun to take part!

-don

RoyalWe likes this.
  20. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    I try to do it every year. Sometimes it’s just me and I pop out and strum a song or two, other times I’ve had some friends over for a little jam. It’s just cool to think of all the people worldwide who are also our playing music on the porch on the same day.

duceditor and radiotech like this.