Poll: New Member Intros

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Gloveberg, Jan 8, 2017.

Did you ever post "Hello I'm a New Guy" thread when you first joined an online forum?

1. Heck yeah!!! People need to know who they're dealing with :)

24 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Nope!!! I just jumped in feet first and you guys will just have to deal with me!

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-Nut

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    This should be fun :D

radiotech likes this.
  2. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    This the only forum I have ever joined ( shocking - I know - lol ) - I jumped right in and a member sent me a message to do a intro post - and I did ! This was my first and the BEST - How lucky am I !

Brever, gearobsessed, Caddy and 2 others like this.
  3. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    seminole Oklahoma
    I did way back in 2012.

radiotech and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    No I did not, there were so many members that were on the other Talk boards, it didn't seem necessary.

BTW, here's my first post.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  5. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    Thats been 3 years ago i can't remember why i joined now lol! I stay on here cause a better mix and what it has become.

6. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I think some people "lurk" until they want to say something - then they have to join ?

Brever and radiotech like this.
  7. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-Nut

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    I haven't been kicked out of a forum yet so I'm not that terrible ;)

8. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-Nut

Apr 1, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    I believe I did here, which is unusual - usually I just jump in without an intro.

jackdragbean and radiotech like this.
  9. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Yes. I always do when I enter a group. My thinking is that I'm joining a conversation mid-way and those already involved have the right to know who I am and where I'm coming from.

Too, since the forums I join (many -- but few that I stay active in) are typically based on a narrow and specific interest sharing how such has come to fit into my life just makes sense.

That said, "lurking" has never been my way. Not with guitars. Not with anything. (Especially not -- well, when I was a young man -- with women). :)

-don

Brever, radiotech and wickedtools like this.
  10. grizmit

grizmit Squier-Nut

Jan 25, 2015
    I didn't think to do it back when I first joined the S-T forum 2 yrs ago. Just started yapping about my newly acquired VM70s Strat thinking that like the many other guitar forums, it wouldnt be exactly friendly to noobs. Got/shared info and moved on. I even had a handful of Squier guitars by then.

I forgot all about the forum until a year later when after getting reacquainted with my Jaguar I remembered the forum and logged in looking for some setup tips or something. Then I posted my surf vid with the kids as a Jag tone sampler and was amazed my the warm welcome. @duceditor Don gave us a nice shoutout and created a thread on families that play music together. From that point, I was hooked! But never really made a proper introduction.

I've only been an active member of one other forum, surfguitar101. I used to think that was the friendliest group. S-T changed my thinking on that. I don't really check in much over there anymore. This is the place to be.

By the way, hello! My name is griz, and I am a guitaraholic. It has been 6 mos since my last guitar acquisition. It's rough going, but I try to take it day by day...

Cheers, all. Thanks for having me.

11. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    As far as I'm concerned, this is now our Unofficial board credo.

All new members should have to fill this statement out upon joining.
    IMG_1275.jpg

12. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    I probably would have but don't believe there was anyone here to introduce myself to..

13. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  14. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    I did. After reading this I am sure everyone is going to go back and look at their own intros. I went back and found my first Squier in that post. An Affinity that played really well for me at the time. I think that I sold it because I found out about the smaller nut and body thickness and thought I should be learning on a "full sized" guitar. Shame on me. Now those things are kinda mute as long as it plays and sounds good. Here it is:

https://www.squier-talk.com/threads/late-learner.30720/

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Kenneth Mountain and radiotech like this.
  15. Kickstand

Kickstand Squier-Nut

Dec 23, 2015
    El Mirage Arizona
    I joined just to buy a MIK Bullet from mkgearhead and didn't do an introduction thread. Real glad I stuck around though. :)

16. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Meister

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    Yea, I did. I belong to a few military forums and they have pretty strict SOP's about providing an intro before posting. So I did the same when joining this group and its sister groups.

17. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I did do a new member intro, nearly 10 years ago. Has it been that long?

I had picked up my first Squier at a local pawn shop and found this forum. Joined a couple weeks later once I saw how friendly and helpful a place it was. Besides, we have Papa Joe, that alone is worth sticking around for.

Intro post.
    https://www.squier-talk.com/threads/new-to-site.2832/

18. jackdragbean

jackdragbean Squier-holic

Nov 16, 2011
    Mississippi
    Same here. I never introduce myself but did here. No clue why.

19. jjudas

jjudas Squier-Meister

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I can't remember.

20. Bear

Bear Squier-holic

Oct 29, 2013
    Kentucky
    I just figure that by introducing yourself as a new member is the polite thing to do. I'm very old school.