Pickup info for 70s classic vibe strat

DougMen

Squier-Axpert
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI
They're alnico 5, and I can't tell you much about the HB, but, on my SSS one, the DCR reads 5.79k on the neck, and 6.23k on the middle. I'm sure the HSS has the same 2 pickups in the neck and middle. They really nail the vintage Strat tone, even more so than many more expensive pickups that I've tried.

Uncle Joe

Squier-holic
Dec 18, 2015
Jersey
I like the standard alnico pups on my new CV 60's SSS and this thread made me curious, so I busted out my multimeter. It's been a while. One fresh 9V battery later, it measures 5.68k neck, 6.11k middle, (6.35k bridge) using the output cable's plug.

DougMen

Squier-Axpert
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI
I like the standard alnico pups on my new CV 60's SSS and this thread made me curious, so I busted out my multimeter. It's been a while. One fresh 9V battery later, it measures 5.68k neck, 6.11k middle, (6.35k bridge) using the output cable's plug.
That's within 2% of mine, which is quite impressive that they match that closely on an inexpensive imported alnico pickup.

Uncle Joe

Squier-holic
Dec 18, 2015
Jersey
That's within 2% of mine, which is quite impressive that they match that closely on an inexpensive imported alnico pickup.
True. This thing amazes me. Digging the classic vibe I'm feeling when I play this Classic Vibe. Made of real wood that works, whatever the type they used. Feels good. Looks good. Nice finish. Holds tune. Sounds good, like a Strat, as you mentioned. No noise. Some fret sprout that needed to be addressed and dressed, but nothing crazy. $223.90 total out of pocket. I saved $600 from what I've been considering for my 2022 gift all year, and there's no high priced buyers remorse or manhood shrinkage worry that would come from owning a signature PRS SE. Plus it's a Fender product. I'm really pleased. Great pickups. Likely the same as the 70's CV single coils, so I'd be cool with that but I'm not a fan of 70's headstock. Subjective opinion. But the pups sound really good to me.

Last edited:

DougMen

Squier-Axpert
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI
True. This thing amazes me. Digging the classic vibe I'm feeling when I play this Classic Vibe. Made of real wood that works, whatever the type they used. Feels good. Looks good. Nice finish. Holds tune. Sounds good, like a Strat, as you mentioned. No noise. Some fret sprout that needed to be addressed and dressed, but nothing crazy. $223.90 total out of pocket. I saved $600 from what I've been considering for my 2022 gift all year, and there's no high priced buyers remorse or manhood shrinkage worry that would come from owning a signature PRS SE. Plus it's a Fender product. I'm really pleased. Great pickups. Likely the same as the 70's CV single coils, so I'd be cool with that but I'm not a fan of 70's headstock. Subjective opinion. But the pups sound really good to me.
On the 1st gen. CV Strats, the 50s one has A3 Tonerider style ones, and the CV 60s had A5 Tonerider style ones (there was no 70s one, there was a VM 70s, but not a CV 70s one), but the new CV 50s, 60s, and 70s Strats all have the same A5 pickups.
I really wanted the LPB 60s one, but my local Fender dealer, that used to order a guitar for me if they didn't have it in stock, told me they had no plans to bring in the LPB one, and didn't offer to order it for me. So, I got the black SSS 70s one that they did have, since it played and sounded great, and they gave me a good deal on it. If they had gotten the LPB one I would have bought it too, so it's their loss.😂🤣🤪

65refinyellow

Squier-holic
Jun 29, 2015
norcal
They're alnico 5, and I can't tell you much about the HB, but, on my SSS one, the DCR reads 5.79k on the neck, and 6.23k on the middle. I'm sure the HSS has the same 2 pickups in the neck and middle. They really nail the vintage Strat tone, even more so than many more expensive pickups that I've tried.
So I have a MIM Classic Series 50s strat and it has been said these are not 50’s-spec pickups like everything else on the guitar. I heard they’re like early 1960s strat pickups because of the non beveled edge which was a 60s pre CBS thing!

Not that this is “bad” but Fender Mexico according to Anderton’s cut corners and made all the Classic Series, 50s-70s, simply have a ‘62 type strat pickup.

I love the ‘62 strat the most, but come on.

Diavolo

Squier-holic
Jan 3, 2022
USA
Looks like solder flux splashes to me.
Lab sample indicates it's a mixture of soy sauce and saliva.

Expert hypothesis:
To meet production numbers the assembly technician was working during his lunch break, soldering. When suddenly a piece of pepper tickled his nose. Unable to put down the hot soldering iron quickly enough to free his hands to cover his face, he sneezed spraying the back of the pickguard with snotty soy spit.

Or

Actually yeah. You're right, does look like flux. ;) lol

Reverend Bow

Squier-Meister
Jul 2, 2022
Southwest AZ
Lab sample indicates it's a mixture of soy sauce and saliva.

Expert hypothesis:
To meet production numbers the assembly technician was working during his lunch break, soldering. When suddenly a piece of pepper tickled his nose. Unable to put down the hot soldering iron quickly enough to free his hands to cover his face, he sneezed spraying the back of the pickguard with snotty soy spit.

Or

Actually yeah. You're right, does look like flux. ;) lol
It didn't taste like soy sauce, cola, or Flux... ;)

couldn't pick it off with my finger nail, decided not worry about it