Physical Therapy and Me

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Papa Joe, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Wonderful thing..I'm sure others here have experienced PT and know how well it works..
    This is my 4th time (for other things) and it always does the job..This time is muscle degeneration..My legs have become so weak that they feel like they're gonna collapse at any time..My balance is just about gone..
    Now after 5 visits they have me walking much better..Still need to work the small muscles more though for better balance..
    They keep telling me it's the "use it or lose it" syndrome ..I guess..
    I have great faith in this and know it will solve most of the problem..
    How about you??

2. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    One of my top reasons for referring 65 and up folks for physical therapy is leg weakness from either peripheral artery disease or a "use it or lose it" muscles situation.

Give it hell, @Papa Joe!

3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer I just don't know anymore.. Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    I have PT on my shoulder about once a year. I also have rubber straps issued from them that I work my shoulders with..

4. Papa Joe

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    I also have poor circulation in my left leg,along with nervous system degeneration..
    I can no longer hold a soldering iron steady enough the work on guitars..
    And DAMN sure won't open an amp..

mb doug, One String Sam and MrYeats like this.
  5. One String Sam

One String Sam Squier-Nut

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    I was receiving physio for a frozen shoulder, putting on or taking off a jacket was excruciating. Covid kicked in and it went to just phone consultatations, will probably never go back to what I had prior to diagnosis but have more movement. Problem seems to have gone in rather than away, pains and spasms in armpit, shoulder etc.

mb doug likes this.
  6. fuelish

fuelish Squier-holic

I had two rounds of PT this summer, both after hip replacement surgery... great folks, worked me hard, I feel better than I have in a few years... now just have to find a new job, came to a parting of ways with my previous employer over the handling of my FMLA time...and it was the last straw...loved my coworkers, hated the conditions and the pencil pushers. Be kind to nurses and such, their jobs suck...speaking from direct experience
    But yeah, PT did wonders for me, I can now walk fine, just a couple scars to show for it...first was 6/1, second was 8/10...best thing I’ve done in a while

mb doug likes this.
  7. Tacherjl

Tacherjl New Member

Oct 24, 2020
    Washington state
    I'm a PT, I believe in it 100%. Its so underutilized. More referrals, and earlier referrals, would lead to a lot less prescription drug use. Right now it feels like it's a battle just to get the word out, so spread the message!

8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I'm not an expert, but I am a firm believer in this.

mb doug likes this.
  9. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    I've definitely had good results from physical therapy on a few occasions. Back and knee issues and I'd rather do PT and avoid surgery if possible, so far so good.

10. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I've benefited from PT several times for specific injuries and issues.

Along with the immediate benefit has come a lasting one because I try to keep the activity patterns in mind and t some degree include them in my daily life after the immediate problem has passed.

Using muscles. Staying flexible thru extension and use.

Maybe the best advice of all was the simplest: To walk a mile or more every day at a reasonably vigorous pace, with consciousness of my gate -- how I am carrying myself. Upright. Using all the muscles and not favoring the strong and pain-free.

Good for you Papa Joe!

-don

mb doug likes this.
  11. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    PT was absolutely a requirement after my rotator cuff surgery, though my employer only paid for six months of it (I was only at 70% when they killed it) my Dr, and PT asked for more, to no avail... a year later, and I’m at 90% now, but I would have been 90% by last xmas had they not killed it.

While I do some at home (more of late), it’s difficult to work yourself at home, as hard as they do in PT, plus you get the extras of massage, and stimulation while there.

mb doug likes this.
  12. Papa Joe

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Yeah I'm doing the exercises at home as well..The front porch steps work for the climbing exercise..
    A couch cushion on the floor works for the balance exercise..
    When I'm walking around I lift my knees high like marching. Gotta rid myself of that damn shuffling crap..That's for old farts..

mb doug and radiotech like this.
  13. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychopathic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Speedy health to you Pop, at Godspeed.

14. MLHull

MLHull Squier-Meister

Sep 19, 2020
    TX
    I did PT after knee surgery. It hurts, but it hurts so good. My therapist was a very attractive young lady with a killer figure, that lessened the pain somewhat.

15. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    HA!

I don’t think there’s any young farts at your place!

Keep up the good work Joe.

mb doug likes this.