Phillip McKnight's top 44 guitar brands under $600: Are Squiers No. 1?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Ralph124C41, Jul 8, 2020.

1. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    This reminded me of something...

I forgot to mention in my original post what a dig it was that Phill dissed half the Artcore line by saying you need to spend a grand to get a real well made Ibby...

My AS73b ($499 retail) is one of the best fit/finish/playing guitars I’ve owned, or even played... at ANY price.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  2. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    It’s not comparable to the guitar one bassed on (pun intended) the fact it’s $300-600, where the guitar one is $600 down.... and I know why. With Basses, he’d have to rate Harley Benton higher (selection alone), and add SX/Douglas/Agile to the mix... also Ibby and Squier have a strong sub $300 line up, so he didn’t want to put those companies up next to them (or mess with their scores).

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  3. kjmac

kjmac Squier-holic

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    • I have to disagree when it comes to His Gretsch rankiing. I have two sub 600.00 Gretsch guitars and find them extremely good instruments for the money. In fact, I play my 2655 Junior more than I do my $900.00 5420. If you look at their Streamliner and Electromatic Jet line, they all pretty much come in under $600.00. Plus they are often on sale for less.

4. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Here's his list:
    1. Godin
    2. G&L
    3. Fender
    4. Sterling
    5. Danelectro
    6. Epiphone
    7. Squier
    8. PRS SE
    9. LTD
    10. Yamaha
    11. Eastwood
    12. Cort
    13. Guild
    14. Xavier and Slick (GFS)
    15. Harley Benton (Thomann)
    16. SX and Agile (Rondo)
    17. Kramer
    18. Tagima
    19. Supro
    20. Michael Kelly (Sam Ash brand)
    21. Schecter
    22. EVH
    23. Jackson and Charvel
    24. Vox
    25. Traveler
    26. Hagstrom
    27. Vintage
    28. Gretsch
    29. Glarry
    30. Dean
    31. Daisy Rock
    32. Washburn and Oscar Schmidt
    33. Ibanez
    34. Aria Pro
    35. Chapman
    36. Hamer
    37. Jay Turser
    38. Silvertone
    39. Austin
    40. Mitchell (Guitar Center brand)
    41. Sawtooth
    42. Peavey
    43. Stagg
    44. Tregan
    The combination of quality and selection <$600 has inconsistencies. Some high quality/small selection rank high (e.g. Fender) and some rank low (e.g. Hagstrom).

5. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I thought the video was pretty good. Some stuff I didn’t agree with, but it was based a lot on opinion. I would like to see his scoring system. That might shed some light on things that didn’t make as much sense to me.

6. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I agree with both you and him. I really like my 2655 for the feel and playability. The Streamliners and Jet Clubs get really good reviews. But Gretsch makes them look cheap with ugly black knobs. Also, they label the Streamliners with "That Great Gretsch Sound," but don't equip them with Filter'Trons.

Shine, Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  7. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    #1 Godin has three selections under $600 - actually, one model in three finishes.

upload_2020-7-9_8-50-8.png

8. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    I didnt realise that there where that many brands out there, everything else i read tells me if i dont have a gibson or a fender then im not really a serious guitarist and i will forever languish in the realms of "starter guitar"..Ive not watched any of Phils videos in the last year, mainly cos they were repetitive and boring but ill watch this one out of curiosity.

9. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    One point that he is taking into consideration is the amount of work and repairs he has done for clients during his years as a guitar tech, which is something we aren't seeing and that is highly variable.

And yeah, as I said with Fender, having brands with only one or two models that cost $599 listed there seems a bit unfair.

Kenneth Mountain and Davis Sharp like this.
  10. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    Well, that was as I thought it would be...

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  11. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Ibanez at #33 ...lol

Smoke another one Phil :cool::confused:o_O:eek:

Kenneth Mountain, drewcp and DougMen like this.
  12. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    He says that the under $600 Gretsch models look cheap and not like a "real" Gretsch. This Duo-Jet has the blacktop Filtertrons, Bigsby, classic thumbnail fretboard inlays, and all the other classic Gretsch appointments, and it's $599. _48a2359_88825c7021.jpg

Kenneth Mountain and radiotech like this.
  13. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

Thanks for sharing this. I dug it.

14. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

Spendthrifts! Squanderers! Wastrels!
    I acquired my last "new" guitar by stopping on the side of the road to pick it up off the curb.
    [​IMG]
    (Except mine was a Washburn X10, and the neck needed to be reattached.)

15. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Nut

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I think it was $400 put onto a Squier, right? Keep in mind he's sponsored for the majority of the stuff he showcases, most of the components he gets for free, it likely costed him at most 1/4 of that; even if he had payed for everything, the resulting ad revenue would pay it back in the first couple of days live.

It wasn't a build intended to be something one of us could/would do, but perceivably a fun project to showcase to the limit whether the belief the amount you invest in an instrument correlates to how much better it becomes has some basis of truth in it.

As some already mentioned, there was a whole list of criteria ranked one to ten. Not only release value was one of the points, but most importantly IMO his experience as a technician in terms of quality/how good is the condition of those guitars that come to his shop on average. Jackson for instance was ranked lower because of that, fret jobs, setup and overall fit & finish simply isn't great in the JS models.

Best1989 and Davis Sharp like this.
  16. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Resale value has never been a consideration for me at all. In my 60 + years of playing I have sold exactly two guitars, those only after having bought something else new that was better.

Kenneth Mountain and radiotech like this.
  17. jcmathews

jcmathews Squier Talker

Sep 15, 2019
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Agreed three times over!

Kenneth Mountain and fattboyzz like this.
  18. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I wouldn't let Phil clean my toilet, let alone work on one of my guitars.

19. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    I’d gladly let him clean my toilet and I wouldn’t have a problem with him working on my guitar. I can do almost everything myself now, but I’ll bet he’s better at it than me.

I enjoyed the video, but I watched 4 hours of videos on overdrive pedal clones in the last two days, so what do I know?

Kenneth Mountain and Shine like this.
  20. Shine

Shine Squier-Nut

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    I enjoyed both videos. And while I agree that everyone has their own opinion, I just appreciate learning a little more about all these brands in one place.

Most of the time I see these these instruments listed on CL and know little to nothing about them, kinda like watching the Academy Awards with the missus and haven't a clue about the current crop of actors.