Phill is back! - sub $300 bucks guitars ranked

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Shaytan, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Perhaps, but only to be surpassed by Kramer because of the Beretta or by Epiphone because of the Special. Remember the amount of models don't matter! Lol

Jokes aside, I don't think his lists are bad, is just that some things he shows seem to contradict what he says.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    dbrian66 likes this.
  2. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Grote, (like Firefly), is a brand that goes in and out of stock on Amazon, so if none were available when Phil did his list, they weren’t even considered.

dbrian66 likes this.
  3. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    Makes sense to me.

radiotech and dbrian66 like this.
  4. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    It seems to me that he favors metal style guitars over good Strat, Tele, LP, SG, and 335 copies, and copies of other legendary guitars.

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  5. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I also found it odd that he gave Jackson such a high score compared to Squier, when Fender owns them both, and I would assume that the same factories are contracted by Fender to make both. To me this shows more bias in favor of metal style guitars.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 3:41 AM
  6. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    I have the feeling that if Squier had kept its Standard and Vintage Modified lines which were outstanding value, the results would have been completely different (most of the Squier Standards and VMs were either under $300 or slightly above).

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 8:43 PM
    Shaytan and Paruwi like this.
  7. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The VMs were $299 a few years ago, but I doubt they would be still

8. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    Yes! The $299.00 VMs that morphed into the CV line are now $399.00

DougMen likes this.
  9. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I remember those prices. I also remember people here saying these prices have to be going up because they have been at the same price for many years. But when they went up, I didn't expect them to go up $100 ... that's a 33.3333333 percent increase. I expected $20 to $50 tops but not that much. But then others said well they are worth that price ... and I won't argue that point; I'm just saying I wish the increase would have been more of a gradual one.

But prices do rise, sometimes very sharply. Look at the Epiphone SL which started at $99. Then it went up to either $119 or $129. Today it is $139 so that's an even bigger price jump ... about 40 percent ... but it was done in stages.

10. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Even at $139, you gotta wonder how anyone (other than the dealer) makes any money off that, 'cause if the retailers are charging that for it, that means they got it from Gibson for half that, maybe less. Remember, I worked at a Gibson dealer for many years, and dealer cost on Epi's is shockingly low. So, if the dealer paid Gibson $70 for that SL, after figuring the cost of the parts, labor, shipping from Asia, and other overhead, how are they making anything at all on them?

mbroadus likes this.
  11. radioout

radioout Squier Talker

Jul 8, 2020
    MA, USA
    I wish I was starting to buy guitars now. I would have certainly looked to this video for guidance or at least ideas.

12. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Squier-Meister

Aug 2, 2011
    So Cal
    Phil is a hack, in a recent video on "who owns who" in the music business, "Mr. Guitar Expert" thinks Gretsch is spelled Gretch and Randall is spelled Randal. ....... Credibility is ZERO.

13. jared11

jared11 Squier Talker

Oct 20, 2018
    Brooklyn, NY
    Credibility is ZERO? For 2 typos?