Phill is back! - sub $300 bucks guitars ranked

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Shaytan, Jul 30, 2020 at 9:45 PM.

1. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Nut

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Mr. Phillip McKnight is back with yet another of his videos ranking affordable guitar brands. Some people here criticized the fact of the apparent inconsistencies in his ranking and seemingly low quality (or unheard) brands being ranked higher than the most notable brands in the range. Perhaps by reducing the budget we get a different perspective?

2. Dinomikesr

Dinomikesr Squier-Meister

Nov 25, 2019
    South-East
    "Not a lot of brands making sub $300 guitars" Didn't he just name 35? That's a heck of a lot.

dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  3. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    Quite a lot of names i had never heard of before, Harley Benton have been having some great reviews of late so im happy to see them at number one on his list..

dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  4. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    so, its interesting he chose the "$300" price point, which eliminates a huge number of Squier models -- bump that up to "Best $500 or less", and Squier HAS to be #1

dbrian66 likes this.
  5. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    If I start ranking import guitars by quality and price, US Fenders come below Squiers on my list.

Just saying

brians, drewcp and 5ofeight like this.
  6. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Happy to see all four of my last guitar purchases in the top ten ( 3 Harley Benton’s, and 1 C&G).

dbrian66 likes this.
  7. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    I actually really like these videos. I'm a live-in-public kind of guy, so I sort of wish he would have dropped a link to his spreadsheet that he used for the different categories so we could see how the scores sorted out, but I think he was well-reasoned and his presentation of these lists is getting better and better the more of these videos he makes. In this one I especially liked the way that he highlighted individual models from these brands that he would really recommend.

Because I found it really helpful last time, here's the list transcribed into text. When he refers to one particular model I tried to note it in parentheses.

1. Harley Benton
    2. Tagima (TW-55, TW-540)
    3. Epiphone (LP Studio LT)
    4. Firefly
    5. Jackson (JS32, JS22)
    6. Gretsch (Streamliner Junior Jet Club)
    7. Ibanez (RG421)
    8. Squier (affinity, bullet, mini)
    9. Cort
    10. Dean (Evo XM)
    11. Yamaha (Pacifica)
    12. Sterling (Cutlass)
    13. Xaviere
    14. Slick
    15. C&G
    16. Schecter
    17. Kramer
    18. Hadean
    19. Traveler
    20. Daisy Rock
    21. Mitchell
    22. Vintage
    23. Stagg
    24. Aria
    25. Washburn
    26. Austin
    27. Hofner (Shorty)
    28. SX
    29. Axl
    30. Peavey
    31. Glarry
    32. Oscar Schmidt
    33. Hardluck Kings
    34. Monoprice
    35. Donner/Silvertone

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 12:41 PM
    dbrian66, Taurus and radiotech like this.
  8. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    They have a great advantage of cutting out the middle man. Their guitars go directly from factory to Thomann ... which saves a boat load of money.

Though, I'll be honest, I was a big fan of HB because of the price point. But I've moved all my HB's.

dbrian66 and Taurus like this.
  9. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    I laughed a bit when he complained about the few Squier models under $300 and then proceeded to include Gretsch with only one model. That model must have gotten a hell of a good score in all the other categories to put Gretsch there, lol

It was interesting to see C&G there. I thought it was a relatively new brand, but it seems like they already have some name and recognition.

dbrian66 and radiotech like this.
  10. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Starcaster affinity is $299...

dbrian66 likes this.
  11. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    That's the thing. He says "only Bullet, Affinity, and Mini", but those series are used in Teles, Strats, Mustangs, Starcasters, Jazzmasters... I mean, almost all the classic shapes have a budget model to choose from. It certainly is a wider range compared to Epiphone, IMO. It would be really nice to see what scoring categories really brought the brand down in the list because I don't believe the number of models is that bad.

dbrian66, Taurus and radiotech like this.
  12. jared11

jared11 Squier Talker

Oct 20, 2018
    Brooklyn, NY
    Bizarre editing in these and completely arbitrary scoring, but I still enjoy watching them.

The Squier/Gretsch inconsistency pointed out above is pretty annoying. Also just strange things in this like saying "about 2 models in this price range." What is "about 2?" 1? 3?
    The Washburn part literally just says "Washburn isn't really focusing on electrics, they're focusing on their acoustic ga--[HARD CUT]" Not even long enough to show a pic. Still scored higher than their own sub-brand Oscar Schmidt. Just weird.

Yet I know if he keeps making these I'll keep watching them.

dbrian66 likes this.
  13. Paruwi

Paruwi Squier-Nut

Apr 28, 2019
    Kraut-Territory
    I'm old enough and have my own experiences
    so I don't need the opinion of such (paid?) 'influencers' if I want to buy a cheep guitar

this guy looks like one of those 'I know it all' to me.....

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 6:11 AM
  14. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    He is like that often, and sometimes he's plain wrong about things. But, sometimes he's informative, like in the video where he told us what factories and companies make which brands.

dbrian66, radiotech and Shaytan like this.
  15. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I don't even press play on his videos. I watched one once, that was enough time wasted for me.

drewcp, Taurus and Paruwi like this.
  16. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-Nut

Jun 16, 2016
    NY
    Sometimes I think the same of some ST members :rolleyes:

17. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    I quite like the look of their DC model, No cash just now cos of lockdown and Ive not been working...maybe soon though hahaha

beagle and dbrian66 like this.
  18. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Squier Talker

Jul 9, 2020
    LA / Denver
    Just one man, with a repair-dude perspective, with an opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. However, for the person who only has $300 + tax + shipping, it's a good resource so they don't have to experiment with their cash. Regardless, if I were heading up the $300 highway, I would grab an Affinity Tele first every time.

dbrian66, squierTony and Best1989 like this.
  19. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I’ve got four (two are going to a library lesson program).
    Of the two basic models (Strat & Shorty Bass), the Strat is “Great for the price“, but doesn’t have a lot of mojo, very similar to a Yamaha Pacifica. The Shorty bass on the other hand, compared to a Bronco... knocks it out of the park. It doesn’t need anything, has better upper fret access, and a Good four saddle bridge. It’s twice the bass a Bronco is for half the price. Once I set it up (small truss adjust, and intonation), I couldn’t put it down. If I didn’t have a VM SS Jag (that I upgraded the pups in), I’d snag one of these for myself in a heartbeat.

I think the magic in HB’s are the specialty models. My GuitarBass, and PB50 are incredible instruments (the PB50 for the recreation of the original Baseball bat neck profile of the ‘51 precision alone). I like the Guitar bass far better than the Squier Bass VI.

dbrian66 and beagle like this.
  20. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    No mention of GROTE???
    Maybe he could not get past the rather odd name?
    Here are five I currently own, all under $200.00
    all very fun and so far as I can tell
    well-made guitars.

Perhaps they will make the "sub-$200.00 list? :)

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 11.15.02 AM.png

dbrian66 and drewcp like this.