Pedal board wall wart squeal

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by howserx, Apr 7, 2021 at 5:30 PM.

1. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    So My SO got me an early BDay present of a Gator Pedal board. I wire it all up and the floor is finally clean. Now when I plug a few pedals in the wall warts start to squeal. This isn't from the pedals or amps. this is coming from the powersupply for the pedals.
    There's nothing new added. same pedals as before, maybe in different order but pretty much the same layout.
    No oddball(as far as I know) pedals that are centre positive. Most are very low draw simple circuits(think the soniccake or donner type pedals). No strymon 15 knob giants.
    Anyone encounter this before?

as an annoying addendum, I went to show her the problem last night (she's very detail oriented and good at troubleshooting, I'm more of a "G**D*** thing" and turn the amp up louder guy), none of them made a peep.

I know after supper when I go down they'll all squeal again.

Again, any ideas?

Dr Improbable likes this.
  2. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    What exactly do you mean by squeal? Do you mean a high pitched whine coming through your amp? Are any of them Klon type pedals, or others with a charge pump? There was thread about Klon type pedals on TDPRI where someone said that some pedals with charge pumps can pick up high frequencies from digital pedals like modulation, delay, and reverb pedals, and modulate those high frequencies down into the audible range.

drewcp likes this.
  3. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    I've encountered disappearing squeals before in pedals...hopefully some connection was just a little loose or something. See if it comes back, I guess

4. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    With the Gator pedal board and power supply you should have no wall warts. Not sure I understand. The Gator power supply mounts under the pedal board. I have one and it works great and is really quiet. Beats the heck out of wall warts. It feeds

brbadg likes this.
  5. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Sorry for the delay, I Didn't get any alerts about replies to the threads.

No whine through the amps, but from the actual wall warts them selves. The gator Doesn't have a wall wart per se, but it does have an external power supply . It doesn't squeal but the One Shot does (a bit) and the 18V DC adapter that powers the power supply really does.

(https://www.amazon.ca/Caline-Guitar...rds=caline+power+supply&qid=1617847869&sr=8-5)

I'll go see if I can get a video...

6. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada

I could get it to whine louder when i turn on the polytune tuner. But it does it a lot even if the tuner is off the board.

7. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I can't hear it. It must be above the rolloff point for my old ear's high frequency limit, which is above 10khz but under 15.

8. brbadg

brbadg Squier Talker

Feb 23, 2010
    Cockeysville,MD
    Wall warts in a pedalboard? Why? You put the pedals on the board. Then you connect them to the power supply.you connect the power supply to the wall Jack. 1 plug. I don’t get it.

Caddy likes this.
  9. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    I can hear it, that would drive me nuts. I’ve heard many a router/hub wall wart doing this in an IT closet when they get old... since no one is in them, I usually let it go. Weird that it wasn’t doing it before, here’s my thoughts.

Questions:

Did you have the plugs all in the same places, in the same strip before you got the board?

How old is that power strip?

Does the reaction change when you change the order of the plugs on the strip?
    (If so try another)

Have you tried a different strip?

Only one is whining?

Do you know which?
    If so, what happens when you plug that one in somewhere else (not in the that, or any strip, right into an outlet)? More on this below.

Did the board not come with a block to power everything (so you wouldn’t have to use the original power supplies)?

Some wall warts do not have a wide neutral spade, if it is one of those, reverse it.
    If any of the other ones have that type, try reversing each one at a time and check the results. This is what I suspect most.

Many folks think the neutral doesn’t have any voltage on it, that’s not true... the neutral carries the balance of the load from the hot, so as you add more effects, it would likely change the pitch, which is exactly what I hear in the video.

If none of this helps, time for a new supply block.

drewcp likes this.
  10. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    I never thought of the polarity of the wart. I will definitely check this out.
    So everything is in the same spot as before. same strip, warts in the same spot. Pedals have moved locations, new board time for new tonal combinations...

Does the reaction change if I change the order? I think I moved them around when I was trying to isolate the noise but I Will try this again.

Have you tried a different strip? No? But I can(and will)

Only one is whining? No. One Whines loudly, another has a whine that is barely audible.

If I swap the power leads around I can get the whining to go away, but makes my board look an unholy mess (again) with wires all over the place I'm hoping to not have to do this but I will if I have to.

The board did come with a power supply, I just have way too many pedals (something my SO pointed out as the real problem ).

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try some out these things out tonight. If all else fails I 'll get another Gator supply, the Caline is duct taped to the bottom of the board and my mild OCD knows that and is bothered by it (lol). the new one is already bookmarked for purchase.

thanks again! I'll be back with the results.

drewcp and radiotech like this.
  11. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Supporting Member

Switching power supplies, like what's probably in that wall type power supply, can sometimes do that. They make high frequency AC and then transform that with a small transformer before converting it to DC. If there's anything about the transformer or associated parts that resonates at that frequency, you can get what you have, an unpleasant hissing or squealing noise.

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you. I have a larger switching power supply that does that until it warms up.

drewcp likes this.
  12. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Get the Gator power supply, mounts neatly under the pedalboard, no more wall warts or power strips, problem solved!

The more wall warts, the greater chance for one to be noisy. Get rid of them.

radiotech likes this.
  13. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    In the commercial AV business a 'screaming' wall wart is a sign it is about to fail. After years and years of being plugged in and providing 24/7 power a lot of AC/DC adapters end up developing a high pitched squeal.

I just noticed that my Yamaha keyboard's wall wart has developed a scream.

It is far less common to find this problem in a new adapter and it would worry me if I noticed it occurring.

drewcp likes this.
  14. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    That's interesting... When I went down last night it didn't start to squeal until about 3 minutes in.

Sometimes I learn more about electonics futzing with pedals and amps than I did in college in the 90's. (I HATED(!) analog electronics...)

15. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    All fixed. I swapped it with another power supply i had from another caline. I would have done this the first night but all the cords were under the cabs.
    I tried flipping the noisy one around (the prongs weren't spaded) but it didn't do anything. So I bit the bullet and started shifting gear. I should have done this the first day but it was just such a weird thing, I wanted to know if there was a reason for it and if I could fix it...

Thanks for all the help! it is so much nicer to be down there without that noise drilling into your ears...

DougMen likes this.
  16. Triple Jim

It might be worth an email to Caline. They may send you a free power supply.

17. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Interesting. Worth a try. the reason I have an extra is the box you has a switch to turn the input from center neg to centre positive. WTF is that! it's supplied with an adapter, so of course I plugged it in with the switch in the wrong position and smoked all the caps inside. And of course as I type this out I'm thinking that probably damaged the wall wart too. Just took over a year to start quealing...

18. Triple Jim

Maybe, but a switching power supply is most likely protected against things like that, so my bet would be on it just developing a little looseness in the transformer windings or iron after heating up and cooling off many times.

What had the polarity switch on it? If I were selling something with that feature I'd certainly use a diode to prevent damage if it were set the wrong way.