P J pickup upgrade, matched set, or mix it up?

Discussion in 'The Squier Bass Place' started by Bob T, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Bob T

Bob T Squier Talker

May 17, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Hi everyone. Got a $79.00 Affinity PJ at GC this week. Black with a beat up black pickguard.
    Did my neck and action tweaks, installed a red tort pickguard that I had hanging around. Oiled a really dry fretboard and back to life! Upgrades down the road... Question #1: Pickups - do I need to buy a matched set of PJ's (was considering Dimarzio DP-126's) or can you mix and match?. Question #2: Not looking for a high mass bridge, but just a better quality bridge. What drop in bridge options do I have? Was thinking of a CV p bass bridge with the brass saddles.. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. leekirkham

leekirkham Squier-Meister

Feb 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    For the bridge, you can use anything that has the basic 5-screw pattern. That's leaves you plenty of options.

Concerning the pickups, check with Fender as to the J pickup dimensions. I know older Squier PJs use a neck pickup, which is slightly smaller than a bridge J pickup.

3. Bob T

Bob T Squier Talker

May 17, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Good news on the bridge! How about on the mix and match thing for the pickups? Does it have to be a set? Appreciate your reply. Thanks!

4. leekirkham

leekirkham Squier-Meister

Feb 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    No, of course it doesn't have to be a set. I just wanted to make you aware in case you were thinking all sets would just drop in. You can take whatever pickups you like and drop them in, now knowing what your size restrictions dictate. Be sure to posts pics of all your mods, we'd love to see them.