Over 10 dollars an hour to drive anywhere

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
And the wind blows. Suddenly everyone feels pressure to be going “that way.”

The elecric light bulb didn’t replace the kerosene lantern nor the car the horse because of social pressure. They became dominant because people saw them as better.

Feel sorry for, don’t feel sorry for, take your beliefs and live them as I and others do the same.

-don

Byron0420

Squier-Meister
Dec 13, 2020
W Palm Beach
My wife talked me into buying her a Ford Focus 'Energi' in 2020 when gas was $2.09. I thought that the savings wouldn't be enough to justify a new plug-in Hybrid. Now I thank her every day.

Beagle

Squier-holic
Nov 19, 2017
Yorkshire
I don't drive any more, gave it up ten years ago My last two guitars came from Germany, both new, free delivery and much cheaper than I could get them here... :D

Robb

Doctor Squior
Silver Supporting Member
Jan 13, 2011
Chertsey
I still have my old 2006 Ford Ranger but I usually use my 50cc Yamaha scooter for local (5 to 20 miles) things that does not need large haul.

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
Are there really people who do not realize that we are being played?

I suppose each generation must learn it anew. But that is sad.

My advice is to keep what you have if you like it. The explosion of fuel prices will last for only a while. That truck you sell for peanuts now will jump in price and value as soon as this phase of the game passes.

People will talk "green" - and you may believe their explanations (including why nothing they foresaw happening at previous focus dates did happen. Nada.) But as you are pressured to buy small properties -- and those away from that beach (that will soon be underwater!) -- look where the people making those predictions are themselves buying. No, really, look! And at how many such properties some of them are buying.

Farmland, too. Lack of fertilizer -- produced with natural gas which is suddenly exploding in price -- is putting small farmers out of business. Forcing them to sell for cheap. And who is buying those farms? Again... look. One name will pop up, and he is not known to be a farmer.

Yes, it is a game. A manipulation.

Like the new electric cars? Fine. Get one. (And never mind the brown outs that may already be effecting your area) Prefer your truck? Keep it in wait for the next change in wind direction.

Cope with what is happening after inspecting what is actually happening, and seeing how -- long term (that is key) -- such will meet your own needs, wants and dreams.

None of this is new. Any old geezer can tell you that.

Well, yes, the current victims of it are. One generation after another.

-don

Last edited:

howserx

Squier-Nut
Apr 20, 2017
Toronto, Canada(not really)
Gas is not an issue for me. This is my ride.

View attachment 233574

Of course, the issue I have are the occasional strange looks when I get on carrying a guitar and a 2x12! 😆😉😁

Of course, the real trade off is Time. It takes longer to go to/from destination. Whereas a car could potentially take half the time to travel, but then ye could transport a lot more stuff at same time (unless ye drive a submini like a Smart Car).

And then there's the balance of Safety. A bus is safer in that few things on the road can beat a 40 foot 40 ton bus in a crash, but flip side is that it's safer in your own vehicle as yer not cooped up in an enclosed space with a ton of people with unknown state of health. Not to mention, after two+ years, I STILL see too many people who STILL don't know how to wear their masks correctly...or care.
I remember carrying my guitar and amp on the bus. I always felt in the road like there was nowhere I could sit where I wasn't in danger of hitting someone. Better than hauling that stuff on a bike!
One of my enduring memories of the bus ride to work was the driver saying to me one day: "don't sit there, someone peed". Good times! On the plus side there was cute girl #3 that was on the same route everyday.

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Nut
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
Gas is not an issue for me. This is my ride.

View attachment 233574

Of course, the issue I have are the occasional strange looks when I get on carrying a guitar and a 2x12! 😆😉😁

Of course, the real trade off is Time. It takes longer to go to/from destination. Whereas a car could potentially take half the time to travel, but then ye could transport a lot more stuff at same time (unless ye drive a submini like a Smart Car).

And then there's the balance of Safety. A bus is safer in that few things on the road can beat a 40 foot 40 ton bus in a crash, but flip side is that it's safer in your own vehicle as yer not cooped up in an enclosed space with a ton of people with unknown state of health. Not to mention, after two+ years, I STILL see too many people who STILL don't know how to wear their masks correctly...or care.
It is fantastic you can get around for a cheap fare instead of paying for fuel. I have a different opinion about the mask issue, but, as it goes being safe no matter where you are out there, is very important in the big picture. The safety concerns in my area are, do you carry concealed or do you want to be a victim? Needless to say it but the world has gone bonkers and until WE all are willing to take a stand, it is not going to improve. Being kind and caring in my life is very important to daily good habits and morality. Life is to be fun so have fun!

There are no bus runs around where I live to go from one place to another...bummer.

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Nut
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
I've watched a lot of westerns in my life so I refuse to ride a bus with people who wear masks.
I know how you feel. There is actually no evidence that the masks work. How many years will pass before that fact comes front and center? Imagine if the narrative was to buy one red and one blue shoe and then be in the store or on a plane? Most everyone has been jabbed or worn a mask long enough that if either of those things worked, no one would pass anything from one person to another.

Pink floyd another brick on the wall...says it all.

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
It is fantastic you can get around for a cheap fare instead of paying for fuel. I have a different opinion about the mask issue, but, as it goes being safe no matter where you are out there, is very important in the big picture. The safety concerns in my area are, do you carry concealed or do you want to be a victim? Needless to say it but the world has gone bonkers and until WE all are willing to take a stand, it is not going to improve. Being kind and caring in my life is very important to daily good habits and morality. Life is to be fun so have fun!

There are no bus runs around where I live to go from one place to another...bummer.
Yup, especially since I got the annual pass, which means unlimited bus rides. I'm lucky in that Hawai'i is mostly safe, there ARE some rough areas, but thankfully they're rare and far away from where I usually hang around.

I'm also lucky in that Hawai'i has one of the best bus system in the country. The bus coverage of the island of O'ahu are exceptionally good (about 80%+).

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2016
New York
The price of gas is really forking with my GAS. I used to have no problems driving out an hour to get GAS ... but now, a 2 hour round trip adds an addition $20-30 on top of the cheap deal.

I'm upset and having withdrawal.

Last edited:

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
I'm upset and having withdrawal.

May that be the worst you and your loved ones face.

I say that with no sarcasm. Those of us accustomed to ease may well have to live without it. And even basic safety as we go thru life may take practiced changes.

We can hope not. -That the currents reverse. But historically they only sometimes do and have. And fewer and fewer it seems really today think they have a reason to trust in "authorities." Our own "metal" may be tested beyond out ability to get a good chug. ;)

-don

Slacker G

Squier-Meister
Sep 6, 2021
Iowa
I know how you feel. There is actually no evidence that the masks work. How many years will pass before that fact comes front and center? Imagine if the narrative was to buy one red and one blue shoe and then be in the store or on a plane? Most everyone has been jabbed or worn a mask long enough that if either of those things worked, no one would pass anything from one person to another.

Pink floyd another brick on the wall...says it all.
I'm glad that you said that not me. :) I agree 100%

Ralph124C41

Dr. Squier
Feb 10, 2016
Yup, especially since I got the annual pass, which means unlimited bus rides. I'm lucky in that Hawai'i is mostly safe, there ARE some rough areas, but thankfully they're rare and far away from where I usually hang around.

I'm also lucky in that Hawai'i has one of the best bus system in the country. The bus coverage of the island of O'ahu are exceptionally good (about 80%+).
When I was stationed at Pearl Harbor back in the early '70s I used to take the bus and I thought it was an excellent system. A buddy of mine once in a while would rent a car just to drive around the island (or most of it) just for fun, but I think all of us sailors enjoyed using the bus.

Btw, what is the cost of gas out where you live these days? I remember that gas was a lot more expensive in Hawaii even back then compared to Florida where I grew up.

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
When I was stationed at Pearl Harbor back in the early '70s I used to take the bus and I thought it was an excellent system. A buddy of mine once in a while would rent a car just to drive around the island (or most of it) just for fun, but I think all of us sailors enjoyed using the bus.

Btw, what is the cost of gas out where you live these days? I remember that gas was a lot more expensive in Hawaii even back then compared to Florida where I grew up.
I prefer riding than driving mainly because I don't have to deal with the stress of dealing with the traffic. Lotsa dummies on the road nowdays. I'd return to the road only after they perfect the self-driving cars AND they're the majority on the road (minimum 90%).

Average prices for regular is 5.35, medium is 5.55 and premium is 5.80 at the moment. A few areas has premium cracking 6$ mark. And that's despite the fact that we're have a law that limits the prices of gasoline. All it means is that it is always at the maximum price allowed by law. 😳🙄🤦

Last edited:

BluesForDan

Squier-holic
Nov 27, 2015
grrrrrr-ranite state!!
I have a bus pass, too. It saved my life when I was waiting for the probate court to issue the certificate of appointment so I could register my mom's car after she passed. That took 6 months. I still use it to go downtown.

Lately, though, they've been cancelling the Saturday night routes because they don't have enough drivers. One driver told me that nobody is applying for the jobs. A freaking city job that will set you up for life, and nobody's applying? Hell, if I still had 2 eyes, I'd do that in a heartbeat. Benefits, pension, job security, hell yeah.

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
LOL, it's much of the same situation here. Starting pay is 30-35$/hr. Plus as a company under Federal jurisdiction (Dept of Transportation) they also ave to offer at least Federal standards of benefits but in reality, TheBus is pays more than that already.

Even so, with COVID, there's a lot of positions open and needing to be filled. A part of the problem is that as drivers, they gotta not only have to put up with the often lousy traffic filled with dummy drivers, they also have to out up with lousy riders who seems to think that the bus drivers as public servants they're the verbal punching bags of the public! :(

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2016
New York
There have been a few decent deals lately, but it's too expensive to chase good deals. Traffic into the city is a nightmare. Gas out to the Island is too heavy as well.

If it's close, I'll consider ... but I'm not making long drives for cheap guitars anymore. :(

Latest posts