Over 10 dollars an hour to drive anywhere

BluesForDan

Squier-Nut
Nov 27, 2015
grrrrrr-ranite state!!
yes, I know, I could drive something more gas-miserly but beggars can't be choosers. It is what it is and I'm stuck with it, a 6-cylinder SUV and 20 mpg is about as good as it can do, falling off a cliff with a tailwind. At 50 mph, that's about 2.5 gallons per hour, @ 4.50 per gallon.

That's 11.25 per hour of driving, not including wear & tear, registration, insurance etc. If I go to meet somebody for a sale and it's an hour away, that's 22.50 out of my pocket. I haven't tried shipping a guitar in over 2, maybe 3 years. What is UPS/FedEx/USPS charging for the typical guitar box these days?

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Nov 5, 2016
New York
I'm also going to value my time at my per session rate of $50 an hour. Add in gas and per session ... those deals aren't too good deals anymore.

There's a $40 Bullet about an hour away. 2 hours round trip, plus gas ... and the guitar is now $170. I may as well get a new one delivered to me for $199.

howserx

Squier-Nut
Apr 20, 2017
Toronto, Canada(not really)
LOL ... sorry to say, but I have no pity for owners of such behemoths.
My coworker used to have one (a decade ago) as his daily commute vehicle. they bought it so that twice a year they could pull their trailer from storage to the camp site. When he sold it for and got a ford focus he told me the payments for the car were less than what he paid in gas for the truck per month. Crazy. I feel bad for people that need trucks for their work. people that bough them cuz they like trucks, well, they made a choice.

I drive a 2007 ford freestyle and it sucks gas. It's reliable but other than that it's too big, hard to park, the traction control is a danger to everyone on the road. I'm glad I work from home. I probably average 5-10 KM per week.

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
Well one of my cars is an old but rust proofed Ford Falcon with a straight six in it. It probably gets about 29 miles to the gallon if driven easy like we do in my household. I do own a Harley but limit my rides on it to just around the neighborhood to limit being hit by some of the bonker driving fools out there on the main streets or highways. None of us knew how bad things would get in the last year or so in the USA.

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Gas is not an issue for me. This is my ride.

IMG_20220516_120740.jpg

Of course, the issue I have are the occasional strange looks when I get on carrying a guitar and a 2x12! 😆😉😁

Of course, the real trade off is Time. It takes longer to go to/from destination. Whereas a car could potentially take half the time to travel, but then ye could transport a lot more stuff at same time (unless ye drive a submini like a Smart Car).

And then there's the balance of Safety. A bus is safer in that few things on the road can beat a 40 foot 40 ton bus in a crash, but flip side is that it's safer in your own vehicle as yer not cooped up in an enclosed space with a ton of people with unknown state of health. Not to mention, after two+ years, I STILL see too many people who STILL don't know how to wear their masks correctly...or care.

Last edited:

Ralph124C41

Dr. Squier
Feb 10, 2016
And then there's the balance of Safety. A bus is safer in that few things on the road can beat a 40 foot 40 ton bus in a crash, but flip side is that it's safer in your own vehicle as yer not cooped up in an enclosed space with a ton of people with unknown state of health. Not to mention, after two+ years, I STILL see too many people who STILL don't know how to wear their masks correctly...or care.
No city buses for me. Why? No seat belts.