Original songs and covers you enjoy.

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by One String Sam, Mar 22, 2020.

1. jnz84

jnz84 Squier Talker

Feb 14, 2020
    New Zealand
    @John L Rose Kottke's version is brilliant. There is a good live/bootleg recording of a set including this track, Last Exit Coffee House recording from memory.

I saw him play in Sydney about 10 years ago, a real wizard, gentleman, and scholar.

2. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-Nut

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Kraftwerk..Longtime!

3. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-Nut

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    This is gonna sound like ego, but its not about reproducing the powerful guitar, i want to sing this tata bouncer and funk out!

LOVE is a powerful thing..after the start about .55

4. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    IMHO, S&G's The Boxer is the best folk song (maybe even more) ever written. Period. The lyrics are spectacular beyond description, and G's ghostly "I love you..." at the end evokes the possibly of a happier second half of life than the first half.

So this thread opened a can of worms for me...emotional worms. There are several songs that are so meaningful to me, so painful, that as much as I love them, it is extremely difficult to listen to them.

I can write a book about each one, but I will just name the songs and make a short comment for each. These will be in fairly good chronological order.

Lyin' Eyes- The Eagles.
    My oh my, you sure know how to arrange things
    You set it up so well, so carefully
    Ain't it funny how you knew life doesn't change things
    You're still the same old girl you used to be...

----An interesting thing about that verse is that it can be in either voice, 'him' talking to 'her', or 'her' talking to herself. I remember very very well sitting at a drill press in the Rickenbacker wood shop drilling screw hols in pick guards with that on the radio, and tears just streaming down my face.

Boys Of Summer - Don Henly
    Those days are gone forever, I should just let 'em go, BUT.... Boy howdy, that is an awfully big 'but', and after almost 45 years, I still haven't let 'em go. This song is virtually unbearable for me. BTW, her name is Jacqui...

These next 2 are much less painful, but are still very meaningful to me...

Candy - Iggy pop/Kate Pierson duet.
    All my life you've haunted me, I love you so...
    True dat. Less personal to me (because of the story), but man,...what a story. I imagine a happy end to it.

One Slip - David Gilmour/Pink Floyd
    Was it love, or was it the idea of being in love?
    Not many years ago, as I was driving and hearing this song for the umpteenth time, that lyric hit me like a ton of bricks. Major epiphany. We were 2 kids playing 'house'.

"“Of all ghosts the ghosts of our old loves are the worst.”~~~Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

5. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
    Original - Cheap Trick - I Want You To Want Me

Cover - Letters To Cleo

jamesgpobog likes this.
  6. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

Featuring my second favourite David Gilmour solo that you probably have never heard of, is Kate Bush with "Rocket's Tail". It doesn't kick in until 01:30.
    Amazing how she had Trio Bulgarka's vocals in there.

Makes me want to jump off a cliff in a wingsuit.
    (Okay, not quite.)
    I gather the title was inspired by her cat, "Rocket", given to random bursts of high speed.

This appears to be a tribute band, named for one of Kate's songs "Cloudbusting", and they did a pretty good job of the vocals.

You may have the right of it. It checks all the boxes for me: lyrics, vocal harmonies, that sort of shuffle rhythm, and the arrangement.
    The icing on the cake for me is the low frequency business that shows up around 4:20 - what is that - sousaphones? bowed bass? cellos?

My next favourite in that genre is probably Steve Goodman's "City of New Orleans".

The melody for the lines "Rolls past the houses, farms, and fields" and "The old steel rail, it ain't heard the news" just kills me every time.

7. One String Sam

One String Sam Squier-Meister

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    VealCutlet likes this.
  8. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    I read something about that a couple years ago. It's brass, large brass, and IIRC it's an 'obsolete' horn, just not used much anymore. It's that large body front carry (unlike over shoulder tuba) type of brass. Seems to be a well known 'mystery' of the song.

9. daemon

daemon Squier Talker

Jan 3, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Damn, never knew this was a cover. Acetone are one of the great unappreciated bands of all time.

Mark E. Smith also had a great ear for covers.

One String Sam likes this.
  10. daemon

daemon Squier Talker

Jan 3, 2014
    Cincinnati
    I love how Cale takes this goofy Jonathan Richman tune and really coats it with menace and frenzy.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  11. One String Sam

One String Sam Squier-Meister

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  12. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    This version is legit. If you’re not familiar with this record, do some research on