only because the subject will come up in the Surf Music forum section - REVERB!!

Discussion in 'Surf Music Forum' started by billmag, Dec 10, 2014.

1. billmag

billmag Squier-Meister

Just wanted to give a "surf's up" on a great sounding Reverb project/kit called the FET Reverb.

I built one of these over the summer and I can't say enough about it nor can I stop playing through it. It's the closest thing to having a '63 Fender reverb unit....at a fifth or less of the cost! You can make it as expensive as you want with the housing, reverb pan, etc.

The fellow that designed it has put a lot of engineering into it.
    Here's the link to the designer's website of the FET Reverb

Here's the link to an on-going discussion on building one the Surfy Bear FET Reverb

Check YouTube for vids on how it sounds (search FET Reverb or Surfy Bear).

Now get out and build one on these puppies!

Attached Files:

2. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Very cool Billmag! Thanks for sharing!

-don

3. Bob Sqweir

Bob Sqweir Squier-Meister

Oct 28, 2014
    New Mexico
    But can you give it a good swift kick for that wipeout "krrrssshhhhh" sound? ;)

4. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Lol..Know about that...I mounted the spring pan hard to the wall to avoid that sound..Really have to thump it hard now to make that sound..

5. Bob Sqweir

Bob Sqweir Squier-Meister

Oct 28, 2014
    New Mexico
    Used to deliberately try for that, as a lot of surf bands used to do it for effect.
    Little did I know I was ruining the tubes in the process. :eek:

6. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Yeah, I guess the 2 biggest killers of tubes ( and light bulbs) are heat and vibration..
    My daughter lived near a railroad line and the vibrations were pretty severe when a freight went by..She kept replacing the bulb in the kitchen every few weeks..
    New fixture properly installed and problem solved..

7. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    That's how The Abstracts started "Wipe Out"... with a good kick to two spring-reverb-equipped amps. My brown Tolex Vibraverb (an original `63) and my co-guitarist's Ampeg Reverbrocket. WooHoo!

Did it night after night, week after week, month after month. Never remember needing to replace anything except a bad transformer on the Vibroverb.

I'm pretty sure the band's drummer, Mike Machat, still reflexively goes into the song's famed drum beat, just like Pavlov's dog starting to salivate, every time he hears that reverb-crashing sound!

[​IMG]

-don

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  8. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    Check out dons hang time!

9. Switchfooter

Switchfooter Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2012
    Earth
    Thanks for sharing! Another project to add to the list...

10. billmag

billmag Squier-Meister

I suppose you could.....just not on mine! :D

.......and yes, it does make that "crash" sound!

It appears that there is a version 4 of the PCB/ kit just released. Smaller form factor and better heat sinking designed (requires a metal type housing).

11. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    Lately I picked up a ne wpedal...hardwire RV-7.
    I LOVE the reverb! It's very nice and thick...and with palm muting you get a total drippiness without the harshenss of hte FRV-1.

I was consdiering teh surfy bear FET reverb, but didn't have the cash/time to put into it.

12. wickedtools

wickedtools Dr. Squier

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    This will be my next project and will check out the version 4:)

13. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    I still want a reverb tank, but the fet reverb is intriguing.

Until then, it's my hardwire pedal. Sounds great and can easily drip without the shrill sounds some can produce.

Really, reverb is all dependent upon the hearer. Some like shrillness, others like subtlety.

Listen to the bambi molesters. Very heavy verb, but dark and subtle. Very nice sound, and total surfiness.

Doesn't have to be all fender all the time either. They play through orange amps.

14. mudbug51

mudbug51 Squier-Nut

Feb 9, 2014
    Actually the guitarists use vox ac30's. The bassist uses the orange amps.

15. novamax

novamax Squier-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Just wanting to second billmag - The Surfy Bear is not a pedal, but a fully grown tank, only the tubes were swapped out for FETs, the circuit a little adapted, and you need an external 12V DC PU.

The actual circuit is on an SMD PCB the size of a credit card! Attach it to a chassis, solder and mount the pots and jacks, connect a pan (you can easily swap pans) and give out any design you want to (afford - starting from 10 bucks aluminum cast stomp box to tolexed/tweed amp head.

It's a bit of work, and no-one offers it currently ready to use. But it's well worth the modest effort for someone who knows to hold a solder-iron. And Bjoern (SG101 use bjoesch) is super helpful should you encounter any problems (I did nexus of own mistakes, and they were sorted out fast).

So if you want a real spring reverb tank for 1/5 of the price with less maintenance, I strongly recommend it.

I even found similar kit for 25 € in a German e-shop. It had no tone-circuit (send to be designed for onboard purposes). I guess this can be added easily from someone with a little electrical understanding, but I haven't tested it, so I don't know what it's worth.

Regarding the price: The kit contains complete electronics (If you want a power LED, that's not included but prepared). You need the PU, a spring reverb pan plus RCA cable, and a chassis/enclosure of your choice. For me, it was roughly 120 €, including material like 8 mm plywood & cloth for a mini-cabinet and an aluminum sheet I drilled for the pots/jacks and bent into shape. Others used a metal tool box serving as chassis and enclosure, which can also be used for cable transport (I liked that idea a lot, I'm pretty much a guy for the practical approach... My build had more of a garage find from the 60ies vibe, but downsized for the pan (like you would have built it if no space for tube and transformer are required.)

16. novamax

novamax Squier-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    I forgot the Sound I don't play via loud amps, but to my ears, there's hardly a difference to a tube version. One user made a blind test comparison on YouTube.