One of the shortest 7:00 songs ever. So far ahead of it's time; a proto "post-rock" masterpiece.

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by optofonik, Jul 12, 2020.

1. AlesG

AlesG Squier Talker

May 11, 2020
    NY
    One of my favorite songs as a kid, remember listening to it on a tape in my dad's car

ToneChaser77 and optofonik like this.
  2. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Nut

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    Haha.That just reminded me of 95 when I rented Live in Pompeii on VHS from Blockbuster and liked it so much I kept it. A freind of mine worked there right before the store closed for good and apparently erased my account from their computers. I didn't know till he told me. Shortly after that a freind of mine who moved out of town stole the VHS from me. Told me over the phone after he settled into his new house. Lol. I guess it was never really mine anyway. I have since bought it 3 times VHS, DVD, and Directors cut DVD. Still have the directors cut but Its probably time I bought the Live in Pompeii super deluxe HD directors reimagining remake 2.0. Jk. I dont think that exists yet. I wonder if they ever released it to blue ray? I guess it's time to find out.

optofonik likes this.
  3. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Nut

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    To this day this still gives me chills. Such a haunting sound. Like they are channeling the ancients for inspiration. Always one of my favorites.

4. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

"One of These Days" was one of the things that made me decide that I really needed a lap steel to play around with.
    But I prefer the lap steel in the Meddle LP version. Sounds more like a chainsaw.
    [​IMG]

5. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

Here ya go.

"Following the release of Rattle That Lock in 2015, David Gilmour set out to play a series of concerts in historic venues across the world. On July 7th and 8th, 2016, David Gilmour performed two spectacular shows at the legendary Pompeii Amphitheatre in the shadow of Mount Vesuvius, 45 years after he first played there for Adrian Maben's classic film Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii. The concerts were the first-ever rock performances played to an audience in the ancient Roman amphitheatre, which was built in 90 BC and entombed in ash when Vesuvius erupted in AD 79. David Gilmour is the only performer to play to an audience in the arena since the time of the gladiators, almost 2,000 years ago."

"The concert performance film, David Gilmour Live at Pompeii, was shot in 4k by director Gavin Elder and includes highlights from both shows. The concert is a spectacular audio-visual experience, featuring the famous huge circular cyclorama screen as well as lasers, pyrotechnics and stellar performances from an all-star band. The film includes songs from throughout David's career including the title tracks of his two most recent No. 1 solo albums: Rattle That Lock and On An Island. Also included are other solo and Pink Floyd classics such as 'Wish You Were Here,' 'Comfortably Numb' and 'One Of These Days,' the only song that was also performed by the band in 1971. Both concerts also saw extraordinary performances of 'The Great Gig In The Sky' from The Dark Side Of The Moon, which David rarely plays as a solo artist."

They all look like they're having so much fun, David especially.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZWKBCP/?tag=squiertalk-20

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    ToneChaser77 likes this.
  6. I've always thought this was one of the best Floyd songs ever. First heard it on the Meddle LP back in the early 70's/
    Cheers, Barrie.

ElRey67 and ToneChaser77 like this.
  7. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Saw it live in the 70's, quadraphonic PA system in this small university arena. Man that was a good show.

[​IMG]

8. ScoobySnacker

ScoobySnacker Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2018
    Never-reach, NY
  9. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

I just have to post this one too. I think the solo here is better than the "cameo" he made on The Wall in 2011.

ToneChaser77 likes this.
  10. ScoobySnacker

ScoobySnacker Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2018
    Never-reach, NY
    Okay, once again, seriously: "Post-Rock. Wat dat?"

I have never heard that expression before, but it brings to mind the term "Singer-Songwriter" which for some reason was attached to musicians who had just 5 years earlier been referred to as "Folkies", and not really changed what they were doing.
    As if Chuck Berry, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, Brian Wilson, Lennon/McCartney, Jagger/Richards, Clapton, Townshend, Jimi, etc, etc, were NOT singer/songwriters because they didn't play on an acoustic.
    I don't recall Dylan being referred to as a "Rocker" after he plugged in, in 1965, but I might be wrong.
    I still don't understand how Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd became poster children of "Prog" Rock.
    All of it, to me is just PR marketing BS.

It ain't often I refer to Billy Joel, but..."It's still Rock and Roll to me".

11. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

Proto Post-Rock?
    • Cluster (and most all so-called Krautrock)
    • Pink Floyd (not a lot, actually, but, "Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict", is an inarguable part of post-rock's DNA)
    • Brian Eno's solo work (most)
    • Robert Fripp (Frippertronics era)

Post-Rock.
    • COUM Transmissions/Throbbing Gristle/Psychick TV (everything with rare exception)
    • PiL "(Metal Box & Flowers Of Romance)
    • Einsturzende Neubauten (pretty much everything)
    • Controlled Bleeding
    • Swans (mostly)
    • Feotus (mostly)
    • Boards Of Canada (some would argue otherwise)
    • Mogwai (debatable by some)
    • Tortoise
    • Hammock

It's a very long list. I've intentionally left off or simply forgotten some of the more obvious examples. I've also refrained from offering a "definition"; I'll leave that for others to risk.

12. ScoobySnacker

ScoobySnacker Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2018
    Never-reach, NY
    Hmm... Proto-Post is an interesting concept.

Pink Floyd UmmaGumma, is the link from Syd to David, no? Leads into Dark Side, which sat on Rolling Stone magazine's top 100 Rock album list for...what, close to, if not more, a decade if you include CD sales.
    I knew of Eno and Fripp before I graduated from High School, and while they were unique, they were still current.
    Except for PiL, which was Lydon's post punk(which was still current when it was released), I am not aware of the other bands you cited. And I spent lots of time in dark and dingy clubs in NYC in the early to mid 80s.

optofonik likes this.
  13. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

Mistake posting, AKA, "dupe".

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020